RIP Robert Byrd, Former KKK Member

cryingbluerain

RIP

kkk-robertbyrd.jpg

I shall never fight in the armed forces with a Negro by my side… Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds.

— Robert C. Byrd, in a letter to Sen. Theodore Bilbo (D-MS), 1944

...and now the rest of the story...

In 1997, he told an interviewer he would encourage young people to become involved in politics, but to "Be sure you avoid the Ku Klux Klan. Don't get that albatross around your neck. Once you've made that mistake, you inhibit your operations in the political arena." In his latest autobiography, Byrd explained that he was a member because he "was sorely afflicted with tunnel vision—a jejune and immature outlook—seeing only what I wanted to see because I thought the Klan could provide an outlet for my talents and ambitions." Byrd also said, in 2005, "I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized a thousand times...and I don't mind apologizing over and over again. I can't erase what happened."

Throughout his life this deceased United States Senator fervently and publicly renounced his brief association with the KKK over 60 years ago. To post that photo-shopped picture suggesting there was still some connection is a gross and dispicable distortion of the facts.

...and now the rest of the story...

In 1997, he told an interviewer he would encourage young people to become involved in politics, but to "Be sure you avoid the Ku Klux Klan. Don't get that albatross around your neck. Once you've made that mistake, you inhibit your operations in the political arena." In his latest autobiography, Byrd explained that he was a member because he "was sorely afflicted with tunnel visiona jejune and immature outlookseeing only what I wanted to see because I thought the Klan could provide an outlet for my talents and ambitions." Byrd also said, in 2005, "I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized a thousand times...and I don't mind apologizing over and over again. I can't erase what happened."

Throughout his life this deceased United States Senator fervently and publicly renounced his brief association with the KKK over 60 years ago. To post that photo-shopped picture suggesting there was still some connection is a gross and dispicable distortion of the facts.

Just trying to set the record straight. As one would expect, many media are downplaying the disgraceful past of Byrd, solely because he is a Democrat. Adam Clymer of the New York Times wrote an obituary that took 18 paragraphs to get to a mention of the Klan. Andrew Taylor of AP took 23 paragraphs. Joe Holley of the WaPo took only five grafs, which is almost fair. But ask yourself if a leading Republican with a racist background had died, would it take multiple paragraphs before it was mentioned?

Lott isn't dead. I remember Thurmond being raked over the coals relentlessly by the media for being a racist after he died.

You asked and I told you.

Lott and Thurman, the best that Mississippi and South Carolina can offer, unless of course you are hiking the Appalachain Trail.

Understood but certainly you must realize presenting a doctored photograph with quotes from over 60 years ago isn't setting the record straight, it's quite the opposite.

Well, doctored photo or not it is a fact that he was a member of the Klan:

Byrd joined the Ku Klux Klan when he was 24 in 1942. His local chapter unanimously elected him the top officer of their unit.[8]

According to Byrd, a Klan official told him, "You have a talent for leadership, Bob... The country needs young men like you in the leadership of the nation." Byrd later recalled, "suddenly lights flashed in my mind! Someone important had recognized my abilities! I was only 23 or 24 years old, and the thought of a political career had never really hit me. But strike me that night, it did."[8] Byrd held the titles Kleagle (recruiter) and Exalted Cyclops.[8]

In 1944, Byrd wrote to segregationist Mississippi senator Theodore Bilbo:[12]

“ I shall never fight in the armed forces with a Negro by my side... Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds. ”

— Robert C. Byrd, in a letter to Sen. Theodore Bilbo (D-MS), 1944, [8][13]

When running for the United States House of Representatives in 1952, he announced "After about a year, I became disinterested, quit paying my dues, and dropped my membership in the organization. During the nine years that have followed, I have never been interested in the Klan." He said he had joined the Klan because he felt it offered excitement and was anti-communist.[8] However, in 1946 or 1947 he wrote a letter to a Grand Wizard stating, "The Klan is needed today as never before and I am anxious to see its rebirth here in West Virginia and in every state in the nation."[14]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Byrd

Well, doctored photo or not it is a fact that he was a member of the Klan:

I'm aware of that but the photo you presented is certainly not one of a 23-24 year old Robert Byrd, the age at which he held membership. If you are genuinely interested in setting the record straight you have to deal in facts.

I can only say that you are pathetic.

The guy gave over 50 years of service to this country and this is the only thing

you can come up with?

If you don't like him or his politics, try saying nothing.

At least the OP said,

RIP

That's respectable isn't it?

Lott isn't dead.

No he isn`t.

I also come not to praise Byrd, but to bury him.

After all, stupidity knows no party lines.

Last I heard, Trent was kickin` back on his beach-front house restored by Federal Flood Insurance with G.W Bush after Katiana.

Happy to hear Brownie was doin` a heck of a job.

Too bad Trent Lott and Tom DeLay got delayed

When Whole-Lotta-Tee (is that his gangsta` name?) wasn`t home nor hob-nobbing with Strom, he was lobbying for AC-130s that the Military didn`t want nor need.

Now thats mint juleps or pork to me.

Byrd was known as the King of Pork.

West Virginia, the only worse places I`ve ever been is Kentucky and Arkansas.

At least the OP said,

RIP

That's respectable isn't it?

yea, it sure is.

where wuz my manners :slapface:

one thing though.

People forget that back in them days, the KKK was a legit organization that held sway over many a political office. Hell, i think i remember hearing that even a President or two were hobknobbing with the boys in the hood. Also, them suthin' democrats, or the decendents of, are now the staunchest conservatives. Funny how the world works :D

yea, it sure is.

where wuz my manners :slapface:

one thing though.

People forget that back in them days, the KKK was a legit organization that held sway over many a political office. Hell, i think i remember hearing that even a President or two were hobknobbing with the boys in the hood. Also, them suthin' democrats, or the decendents of, are now the staunchest conservatives. Funny how the world works :D

That's why they were known as "Dixiecrats". :yesnod:

BTW, it's pronounced 'suthen'.

Would you like a nice cold glass of swate tay? :P

As late as 2005 he stated looked back fondly on his days in the KKK calling it a fraternal type thing or something like that. The guy voted against the CRA of 1964.

The Invisible Empire still exists. Let's just hope they don't start wearing brown shirts.

From The Simpsons:

Bart and Lisa are preparing to do battle with the UPS drivers and Bart says:

'Wow, who would have thought that guys in brown shirts could start so much trouble?'

B)

Archived