Worst Zep boots

I Am The Fly

The second night from MSG 77 (8th June) is horrible. In fact there are some parts in which it's very difficult to make out the band at all.

You're referring to the "Second Night In The Garden" source, yeah? I agree- sounds like the damned thing was taped from one of the fucking MSG bathrooms or something...along with April 23rd in Atlanta (which I mentioned a few posts back in this thread) SNITG is probably the worst '77 recording. That said, there's a less common alternate source that sounds a hell of a lot better, 'cept it's missing about half of "No Quarter" and all of the drum and noise solos.

Of course, there's also the May 25 '77 Landover show which is a similarly distant recording (though a tad better than SNITG). You can barely make out the Plantations, which probably explains why some boneheads out there have tried to pass off that Landover recording as both April 1 in Dallas and April 15 in St Louis...it didn't work!

Mind ya, all the Landover '77 audience recordings save for May 30th are pretty crappy. But considering they were recorded on a microcassette recorder (i.e. a dictaphone) it shouldn't be surprising that they're not exactly Millard quality. Good thing the taper fixed the recording levels after TSRTS on May 30th -one of the better '77 shows, BTW- or else that puppy'd be a real rough listen...obviously having better seats for the fourth night helped considerably as well- the recording is about on par with April 28th in Cleveland.

Edited by Nutrocker

• 9 years later...

Back when bootlegs only came on LPs, not only did you get pressings of bad audience recordings, but the ticks and pops from the terrible vinyl the bootleg companies used were often easier to hear than the music. Good times.

2 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

Back when bootlegs only came on LPs, not only did you get pressings of bad audience recordings, but the ticks and pops from the terrible vinyl the bootleg companies used were often easier to hear than the music. Good times.

Detroit strikes again in this category. Detroit Just About Back (75) sounded like someone was chewing Rice Krispies for 90 minutes. And I tried two copies of it!