What should I do?

cheesehead1204

I just received the Led Zeppelin Japanese Mini LP box I ordered from Hong Kong for $96. However, I realized that the fourth album had markings and scratches on it making the songs stop playing after a couple minutes thus ruining the cd. What should I do next, if I'm only looking for the fourth album cd? Should I:

A. Buy a normal fourth album cd at Wal-Mart for around $7-$10?

B. Buy another fourth album mini lp for around $20-$30?

C. Keep pestering the seller on ebay (where I got the box) and hope he sends me a new one?

D. Any other ideas?

I just received the Led Zeppelin Japanese Mini LP box I ordered from Hong Kong for $96. However, I realized that the fourth album had markings and scratches on it making the songs stop playing after a couple minutes thus ruining the cd. What should I do next, if I'm only looking for the fourth album cd? Should I:

C. Keep pestering the seller on ebay (where I got the box) and hope he sends me a new one?

D. Any other ideas?

That's a shame; if it were me, I would alert the Ebay seller and work out a return, especially if the scratches were not disclosed. The seller will want to preserve their good feedback rating so I would hope they would work with you (I've had to do this before). You can then buy another one.

If the person is a reputable seller, they should send it to you. A lot of these sellers get business through word of mouth -- you get a good deal from someone, or they ship something faster/cheaper than you thought, you then tell others to buy from them and their business goes up. Then sometimes you'll get special deals from them for giving them so many referral customers. That's how I got a lot of my vinyl that I have -- especially when I buy multiple albums from the same artist.

If this person doesn't want you to post negative feedback saying they sent you a defective item and then when they said they'd replace it and didn't, they'll do it and not think twice. Other people will read that and not buy from them, thus hurting their bottom line.

So through my own personal experiences buying on Ebay, you should be alright.

D. Any other ideas?

Just keep pestering the seller on ebay and get that person to send you another one (its only fair)!!! Gosh! I hope things turn out alright for you! :(

D. Any other ideas?

Did you pay by Paypal? If you don't receive your replacement item, you could make a Paypal claim, as long as you do it within the time limit.

Thanks for the advice guys. I went ahead and messaged the seller a couple times and he said he'd send me a replacement fourth album mini lp. I'll just have to wait and see if he actually does send it! :D

Well, after saying he'd send me one, he sent me a message saying he doesn't have a single fourth album mini lp, just the box set. I told him he should just open a box and send me the cd, and sell the rest of the cd's separately. Hope this works...:unsure:

I hope it works out; that must be disappointing. I've had to return things a couple of times before and the sellers were always very good about making things right. I made sure to leave good feedback comments after too!

Well, after saying he'd send me one, he sent me a message saying he doesn't have a single fourth album mini lp, just the box set. I told him he should just open a box and send me the cd, and sell the rest of the cd's separately. Hope this works...:unsure:

Update: Well the seller said he can't open the box to send me a single cd, so he said he'd send me $10 compensation instead. Technically, I only paid $9.60 for the cd (10 album box for $96, a great deal), and since I believe the disc's malfunction is a result of the company that made the cd (not the seller), I don't know what more I can ask for. Problem is, a single fourth album mini lp shm-cd will run me about $30-$40 by itself, not including shipping, so the $10 he'd send would not cut it. My next move is to ask the seller if he could contact the company he got the box from or the makers of the cd and see if he could get a replacement from either of them. Also, I've just realized how self-centered this topic is...:blink: Thanks guys for listening and giving advice when it's not your problem to begin with ;)

Update: Well the seller said he can't open the box to send me a single cd, so he said he'd send me $10 compensation instead. Technically, I only paid $9.60 for the cd (10 album box for $96, a great deal), and since I believe the disc's malfunction is a result of the company that made the cd (not the seller), I don't know what more I can ask for. Problem is, a single fourth album mini lp shm-cd will run me about $30-$40 by itself, not including shipping, so the $10 he'd send would not cut it. My next move is to ask the seller if he could contact the company he got the box from or the makers of the cd and see if he could get a replacement from either of them. Also, I've just realized how self-centered this topic is...:blink: Thanks guys for listening and giving advice when it's not your problem to begin with ;)

Cheesehead,

Don't worry about asking for advice - this is a considerable amount of money to pay for something which is not as it should be. What I am going to say is on the assumption that you are in the UK. Your recourse in law is against the seller, not the manufacturer - it doesn't matter if it is a manufacturer's fault. Think about it - if you went into a high street shop to buy a shirt which turned out to be faulty, you would receive the refund from the shop. The shop returns the faulty goods to the manufacturer who in turn would reimburse the seller.

Because you bought on Ebay, you should be covered by the Distance Selling Regulations. I have copied a link which gives a brief explanation.

http://www.out-law.com/page-430

Take a look at the Sale Of Goods Act 1979 with its definition of 'satisfactory quality'.

<LI>‘Satisfactory quality’ is further defined by section 14(2B) of the 1979 Act, so that the quality of goods ‘includes their state and condition and the following (among others) are in appropriate cases aspects of the quality of goods –

(a) fitness for all purposes for which goods of the kind in question are commonly supplied,

(B) appearance and finish,

© freedom from minor defects,

(d) safety, and

(e) durability’.

I have been a regular buyer on Ebay for six years, and my advice to you is to apply now for a Paypal refund now because the partial refund which is being offered to you does not put the goods as a whole into a state of 'satisfactory quality'. It is very easy to start the process and the site will guide you through it step by step - I've had to do it many times. You are give the opportunity to put your points, and the seller either refunds you immediately or puts his reply. If the dispute goes beyond a certain number of days without resolution, Paypal makes the final decision as to recompense.

Tell the seller that the goods are not complete, and that you will return the discs to them for a full refund.

In fact, what I have always done in the past is return the goods to the seller anyway (but make sure you send them by a tracking postal service) and claim your refund. That way you would have proof that the seller has received them back, and carry on claiming for your full refund.

If you didn't pay by Paypal, start a refund claim under the Ebay refund system.

If you get your money back, buy the goods from another source.

If he has another box set in stock, I would return the entire box set to him & have him send you the other one as a replacement. Let him deal with the manufacturer for the return of a defective set.

Good luck!

If he has another box set in stock, I would return the entire box set to him & have him send you the other one as a replacement. Let him deal with the manufacturer for the return of a defective set.

Good luck!

Well, he said he's contacted the manufacturer and will try to send me a new fourth album. If that doesn't work, I'll probably try this

Well, there's a new twist in this adventure I'm on :blink: According to the site in this link: http://www.minilps.net/led-zeppelin/fake-led-zeppelin-wpcr-13142-fake , the box I got was a fake from China. I should have expected it with it being from Hong Kong and having one of the cds not work (I've also heard skips in some of the other cds) :slapface: . I've asked to have the box returned for a refund, but I might have to pay for shipping. All the cd's are in the packages they were orignally in, all that's missing is the bag the box was wrapped in. What should I do if he doesn't give me a refund? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Well, there's a new twist in this adventure I'm on :blink: According to the site in this link: http://www.minilps.net/led-zeppelin/fake-led-zeppelin-wpcr-13142-fake , the box I got was a fake from China. I should have expected it with it being from Hong Kong and having one of the cds not work (I've also heard skips in some of the other cds) :slapface: . I've asked to have the box returned for a refund, but I might have to pay for shipping. All the cd's are in the packages they were orignally in, all that's missing is the bag the box was wrapped in. What should I do if he doesn't give me a refund? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Report him to eBay, he's nothing more than a conman.

Well, there's a new twist in this adventure I'm on :blink: According to the site in this link: http://www.minilps.n...wpcr-13142-fake , the box I got was a fake from China. I should have expected it with it being from Hong Kong and having one of the cds not work (I've also heard skips in some of the other cds) :slapface: . I've asked to have the box returned for a refund, but I might have to pay for shipping. All the cd's are in the packages they were orignally in, all that's missing is the bag the box was wrapped in. What should I do if he doesn't give me a refund? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheesehead,

1. What you should do is exactly what I and others advised you to do yesterday. Read the final paragraphs of my posting from yesterday. If you paid by Paypal, start a Paypal reclaim a.s.a.p. If you paid by other means, claim through Ebay. Paypal/Ebay require the goods to be returned before they will make the final refund. But in the meantime, start your claim now through Paypal/Ebay. When you are in the Ebay system try their 'help' facility and their 'community' facility because the latter allows you to ask for help from other Ebay members.

2. Make a separate complaint to Ebay about what you believe are counterfeit goods.

3. Remember to send the package back with postage which includes a proof of posting/sign on receipt facility. The bag the box was wrapped in is irrelevant to your claim. When you received the goods, you were entitled to unwrap them.

The main problem I have is having to pay to ship to hong kong, since the seller's return policy states the buyer must pay for return shipping. I don't want to pay upwards of $40 or $50 to ship something I bought for $96. Is it possible that the cost of shipping could be covered by ebay or something? If I'd have to pay a ton for shipping, I'd rather just keep the box and try to clean the discs to avoid the few errors I heard (also, the seller is already sending me another fourth album).

The main problem I have is having to pay to ship to hong kong, since the seller's return policy states the buyer must pay for return shipping. I don't want to pay upwards of $40 or $50 to ship something I bought for $96. Is it possible that the cost of shipping could be covered by ebay or something? If I'd have to pay a ton for shipping, I'd rather just keep the box and try to clean the discs to avoid the few errors I heard (also, the seller is already sending me another fourth album).

I think you are now at the stage where this problem should be dealt with between you/ebay and paypal. Zeppelin forum members have given you as much help as they can.

Archived