What was the thing that went through your head when you first heard Led Zeppelin

JiMiHeNdRiX1967

I was in kid in the '70's, like around 6 or 7 when I heard them for the first time. It was 'Stairway to Heaven' and I remember thinking that I liked how it started off slow, and then progressivly sped up. I hated loud noises as a kid so for the song to start out soft and to build to a hard edge sound was good for me. I was a bit of a mess.laugh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I heard them last year and I already liked some stuff from that time period, the who mainly, but I still was at the hight of my punk-ness, but then I heard "Whole Lotta Love" and when plant starts like orgasming with the crazy guitar it blew my fourteen year old mind. I was like this is sooooo much better than Green Day!

• 2 months later...

It was in february this year or something, I'd just gotten into queen at christmas and was browsing youtube. I stumbled across the earls court performance of Stairway to Heaven (not the full version, it was the video on the official led zeppelin channel that's edited to 2 mins) I thought that they were something different from Queen, and the performance seemed magical with all the lights and the red double-neck guitar just as the solo was beginning. I also felt that the band was more like about rocking your soul and Queen was more casual. Nonetheless I didn't get into Zep at that time. When some of my buddies in music class played StH for valentine's day, I thought "Hey, I've heard this song!" Of course I didn't realize the video I saw was only a small piece, so when I got home I gave the album version a listen. I was completely hooked and I especially remember Plant's vocals and when after a couple of days I saw them performing it I could relate to the lyrics (they played a shortened version, but it was still good). I also looked them up on wikipedia, and thought "oh, they're a 70s band too... wait what, they influenced Queen?!" At that point the only song I had listened from them was StH, so I gave a listen to Black Dog and The Ocean. I remember that they sounded pretty good, but I thought they were long and boring. Of course they grew on me (thou I still think black dog drags on too much). I still didn't listen to them very much, even after listening to the full IV album. When I saw a video of Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert and Robert Plant was singing there, I saw two new zep songs: Kashmir and Thank You. I gave both a listen and was hooked to Kashmir. Then I remember watching Bonzo's Moby Dick performance from Royal Albert Hall and I thought "That's some crazy drumming!" or something.

Rest is history. :)

We lived in Europe when I was barely a teen ...the neighbor below us turned me on to Zeppelin...can not remember my first Zep song just knew they were not like anyone else I had EVER heard!!!

Everyone else was all into The Who, Fleetwood Mac, ELO :rolleyes: ....and my wilder friends, The Tubes :blink:!!!

But Zep is my favorite band hands down. No one else has their diversity and musicality IMO, not to mention they just RAWK coolness out of every pore!

For me the year was 1973 and I had just discovered FM radio. I was 12 years old and developing a liking for music. I was beginning to enjoy Elton John (Crocadile Rock), Jefferson Starship, Eric Clapton (Creem), & Jimi Hendrix...... I bought Zeppelin IV as it had Stairway on it of course. However, the songs Rock and Roll, Black Dog and Misty Mountain Hop hooked me in. Soon I found the quiet power and much enjoyment in the acoustic songs; Going to California and Battle of Evermore. I wore the LP out! Soon, I purchased all the other LP's out and never looked back. They have been my favoritew band ever since and I was fortunate to see them live 3 times (73 (thanks to my older brother!!), 75 and 77) I bought a guitar and quit playing sports......Zeppelin IV in 1973 changed my ldirection in life. Wow.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived