Songs Which Make You Cry ...

zdr

Absolutely. The whole point of the song is to remind people who are sad and suffering that they are NOT alone and that everyone goes through it. What could be more supportive than that?

BTW I thought that David Archuleta version of "Angels " was awful. Really, more often than not, one note per syllable is more than enough. Each to his own tho, for sure ;) .

Funny, Everybody Hurts depresses the heck out of me. I know the lyrics are supposed to be uplifting, but the melody of the song just makes me want to run to the bathroom and bawl. I took a ballet class last semester, and the jazz class that was right before mine was doing a dance to that song. I was so glad I didn't jazz, heh; I would've been suicidal by the end of the semester. Ballet, on the other hand, was hilarious. We had honest-to-God piano music played by a real live accompanist, but I think he got sick of all the classical stuff because it ended up having a vaguely honky tonk sound. Pair that with everybody doing second-position sautes, which is NOT the most graceful thing ever if you're a beginning ballet student (it's basically jumping up and down in place with your feet spread apart and your arms held out to the sides...yeah), and you've got yourself the makings of a giggle fit. ANYway...these are a few that get to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsJuI7OJNuw

(Originally written by Eric Bogle and entitled "No Man's Land." I'm used to the Dropkicks' version, though.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad2EPO_y0ps

(This song was always sad, but now it brings back a ton of bad memories...my friend once said she wanted this played at her funeral, and she came damn near to getting her wish, the idiot, so now it always reminds me of that. Ugh.)

"Somewhere Over the Rainbow" used to make me cry big time when I was little. I used to fast-forward through that part of Wizard of Oz because I was such a wimp about it. Also, a ton of Eminem songs make me cry. Obviously not the silly ones like The Real Slim Shady or We Made You, but ones like Stan, Cleaning out My Closet, Love the Way You Lie, etc. get me going. I don't know if that's lame of me or not, but I'm serious as can be. It's frigging hard trying to listen to Recovery...one minute you're bouncing off the walls listening to W.T.P., then your mood instantly takes a huge dive with Going Through Changes, then all of a sudden you've got Not Afraid which is really hopeful, and not a moment too soon, and then you're doing the sexy thang with Seduction, etc. etc. And I thought Pink Floyd put you through the ringer...sheez. I thought I was too "mature" for Eminem in high school (based on hearing his spoofier songs that were on the radio back then), but funnily enough, now that I'm OLDER, I like him a lot more. Don't know which version of me has the right idea, but life is certainly more interesting with Eminem in it. (Wow, I talk a lot at midnight...)

Also, a ton of Eminem songs make me cry. Obviously not the silly ones like The Real Slim Shady or We Made You, but ones like Stan, Cleaning out My Closet, Love the Way You Lie, etc. get me going. I don't know if that's lame of me or not, but I'm serious as can be. It's frigging hard trying to listen to Recovery...one minute you're bouncing off the walls listening to W.T.P., then your mood instantly takes a huge dive with Going Through Changes, then all of a sudden you've got Not Afraid which is really hopeful, and not a moment too soon, and then you're doing the sexy thang with Seduction, etc. etc. And I thought Pink Floyd put you through the ringer...sheez. I thought I was too "mature" for Eminem in high school (based on hearing his spoofier songs that were on the radio back then), but funnily enough, now that I'm OLDER, I like him a lot more. Don't know which version of me has the right idea, but life is certainly more interesting with Eminem in it. (Wow, I talk a lot at midnight...)

I feel the same way about some of his songs. My absolute favorite must be Lose Yourself, which I used to play quite a lot during a certain period of time a while ago and I feel like I really connect with it. Beautiful, Sing for the moment, When I'm Gone and Like Toy Soldiers are also emotional. Not to mention his last album which gives me goose-bumps every time. Although I love Not Afraid, I can't say the same about Love the way you lie, which is nice, but not that nice (has looots of millions of views on youtube). I wish he made videos and promoted other songs on Recovery, say Cinderella Man or So Bad.

Me too. Definitely Zep's most moving song.

Hi Magic and Kiwi,

Yes, Misses BIGDAN and myself stayed up way past our bedtimes a few months ago just to get the lyrics down to this song, we must have played it a hundred times or more, but in the end we did it justice and i think its spot on. I was in tears by the end though, aha, it reminded me so much of the relationship i have with my dear wife that it made me crack, and although i cried, only a little bit mind, she didn't laugh at me. :wub:

Regards, Danny

PS,

"Did you ever really need somebody, And really need 'em bad

Did you ever really want somebody, The best love you ever had

Do you ever remember me, baby, did it feel so good

Cause it was just the first time, And you knew you would"

Gets me every time. :boohoo:

Hi Magic and Kiwi,

Yes, Misses BIGDAN and myself stayed up way past our bedtimes a few months ago just to get the lyrics down to this song, we must have played it a hundred times or more, but in the end we did it justice and i think its spot on. I was in tears by the end though, aha, it reminded me so much of the relationship i have with my dear wife that it made me crack, and although i cried, only a little bit mind, she didn't laugh at me. :wub:

Regards, Danny

PS,

"Did you ever really need somebody, And really need 'em bad

Did you ever really want somebody, The best love you ever had

Do you ever remember me, baby, did it feel so good

Cause it was just the first time, And you knew you would"

Gets me every time. :boohoo:

Hi Danny

That's a lovely story. I knew you were a big softie deep down! :D

Magic

I feel the same way about some of his songs. My absolute favorite must be Lose Yourself, which I used to play quite a lot during a certain period of time a while ago and I feel like I really connect with it. Beautiful, Sing for the moment, When I'm Gone and Like Toy Soldiers are also emotional. Not to mention his last album which gives me goose-bumps every time. Although I love Not Afraid, I can't say the same about Love the way you lie, which is nice, but not that nice (has looots of millions of views on youtube). I wish he made videos and promoted other songs on Recovery, say Cinderella Man or So Bad.

Oh yeah, I love Lose Yourself...definitely one of his best. It doesn't make me cry, but it's an emotional experience for sure.

Yeah, Love the Way You Lie isn't one of my all-time super-favorites, but I still like it a lot, especially how the chorus starts out talking about "burning" with anger, and then in his last verse he talks about setting the house on fire, which puts the chorus in a totally different perspective. I love that shit! I'm with you, though; I REALLY wish he'd do a video for So Bad...I've played the crap out of that song.

Kiwi ~ if you like Climb Every Mountain so much, you'll probably like this one too (If you don't know it already):

Andy Williams - The Impossible Dream

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKxiOFKfCfk&feature=related

//Edit to thank you for your welcome! :) Yes, it's a slow period for me, cause I don't have too much time to write these days. My computer's monitor drop dead, so I can only access the forum at work (therefore, I mostly read quickly the news, and post lesser)

Kiwi ~ if you like Climb Every Mountain so much, you'll probably like this one too (If you don't know it already):

Andy Williams - The Impossible Dream

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKxiOFKfCfk&feature=related

Yep! I've heard that one! Reminds me a bit of "old blue eyes" but in a good way (I ain't a fan of Sinatra, in fact he gets on my nerves). I really love the lyrics and that song sort of calms me down! Very gentle stuff! :D

Here's another one by "Blind Faith". Sorry if I appear obsessed! But their album just blew me away! I just can't stop listening to it! One of the greatest blues rock albums I've had the pleasure of listening to! :wub: Blind Faith's one and only album has officially gone into my list of my favourite albums of all time! :wub:

Archived