Last tour-strange situation

I watched one of the last concerts in Berlin.When they were about to play "Achilles" Jimmy turned talking to Robert.Than they didn´t play it-unfotunally!! Why ,it is

my all time favorite? After that Jimmy tried to play "White summer" but the guitar was out of tune.He seems to be shy (!) alone onstage and excuses to the audience.

After the guitar was fixed he was still nervous.

I watched one of the last concerts in Berlin.When they were about to play "Achilles" Jimmy turned talking to Robert.Than they didn´t play it-unfotunally!! Why ,it is

my all time favorite? After that Jimmy tried to play "White summer" but the guitar was out of tune.He seems to be shy (!) alone onstage and excuses to the audience.

After the guitar was fixed he was still nervous.

Hello, and welcome.

You attended the final concert in Berlin? Nice...

No, they didn't play "Achilles Last Stand" that night, the only other time being in Vienna. You're saying Page said something to Plant? Interesting...did Jimmy just beg off playing "Achilles", wasn't up to it or something. :P That "White Summer" though...what was the audience's reaction to that I wonder? I wasn't at the show, but I've known the concert since 1985 as it was the first Zeppelin bootleg I ever got/heard. It's one of the weirdest 'vibe' Zeppelin shows I've ever heard- as I've said for years it's as if Jimmy Page knew it was the last concert and so he tried to pull out all the stops. Which might sound a bit melodramatic, sure :D , but it's the longest 1980 show even though they didn't play ALS which is ten minutes long. The improvs were noticeably more stretched out than the other more restrained 'cut the waffle' 1980 concerts. At least three of the tunes they played in Berlin that night were the longest versions they'd played: "Trampled Under Foot", "Stairway" and their 'new wave' "Whole Lotta Love". Possibly that's why it's my favourite 1980 show by a large margin...admittedly I'm not the biggest fan of the '80 tour, I've heard all of the shows over the years but Berlin I actually bought eventually.

Aside from your reaction to the non performance of "Achilles", what else did you think of the show? (I remember my first reaction being, "Wow, they sound really different..." - the only other live Zep I'd heard at that point being the TSRTS soundtrack...)

Hello, and welcome.

You attended the final concert in Berlin? Nice...

No, they didn't play "Achilles Last Stand" that night, the only other time being in Vienna. You're saying Page said something to Plant? Interesting...did Jimmy just beg off playing "Achilles", wasn't up to it or something. :P That "White Summer" though...what was the audience's reaction to that I wonder? I wasn't at the show, but I've known the concert since 1985 as it was the first Zeppelin bootleg I ever got/heard. It's one of the weirdest 'vibe' Zeppelin shows I've ever heard- as I've said for years it's as if Jimmy Page knew it was the last concert and so he tried to pull out all the stops. Which might sound a bit melodramatic, sure :D , but it's the longest 1980 show even though they didn't play ALS which is ten minutes long. The improvs were noticeably more stretched out than the other more restrained 'cut the waffle' 1980 concerts. At least three of the tunes they played in Berlin that night were the longest versions they'd played: "Trampled Under Foot", "Stairway" and their 'new wave' "Whole Lotta Love". Possibly that's why it's my favourite 1980 show by a large margin...admittedly I'm not the biggest fan of the '80 tour, I've heard all of the shows over the years but Berlin I actually bought eventually.

Aside from your reaction to the non performance of "Achilles", what else did you think of the show? (I remember my first reaction being, "Wow, they sound really different..." - the only other live Zep I'd heard at that point being the TSRTS soundtrack...)

I was completely obsessed by them scince the US 77 tour.But all concerts I saw (Knebw 1/Dortmund,Cologne,Berlin1980,) did not give me the force of the

early BBC sessions or the badgeholders bootleg.They did not play very long solos (Bonzo f.e.) no acoustic set. I am still not into their last studio-album,too.

---I was taken away by the ALS in cologne (never using drugs apart their sound) but listning to the youtube version now I cannot recall this feeling.

The O2 show was the best Zep for me but Jason was luckily not a perfect copy of Bonzo so it was diffrent.

In Berlin I cannot tell why and what Jimmy said.I was surprised that my god and "man of steel" (Robert about Jimmy 77) was so helpless at the situation.

Lateron strangers said they liked the show but not White summer....Maybe after the punk and disco ,techno attacks we felt a dark age rising up even for us.

Maybe it was also a bit of a farewell for me because my personal life was so heavily connected to them and changed at this time (last concert) dramatically also..

I was completely obsessed by them scince the US 77 tour.But all concerts I saw (Knebw 1/Dortmund,Cologne,Berlin1980,) did not give me the force of the

early BBC sessions or the badgeholders bootleg.They did not play very long solos (Bonzo f.e.) no acoustic set. I am still not into their last studio-album,too.

---I was taken away by the ALS in cologne (never using drugs apart their sound) but listning to the youtube version now I cannot recall this feeling.

The O2 show was the best Zep for me but Jason was luckily not a perfect copy of Bonzo so it was diffrent.

In Berlin I cannot tell why and what Jimmy said.I was surprised that my god and "man of steel" (Robert about Jimmy 77) was so helpless at the situation.

Lateron strangers said they liked the show but not White summer....Maybe after the punk and disco ,techno attacks we felt a dark age rising up even for us.

Maybe it was also a bit of a farewell for me because my personal life was so heavily connected to them and changed at this time (last concert) dramatically also..

Our you saying that the O2 was better than 79 and 80 gigs you went too ??

Yes.But Jason was not an exact Copy of Bonzo.

At the O2 they seem to be very concentrated to show it themselve and the audiance once again.

It seems that after the tragic end of the 77 tour there was a bit of a fracture.

No live solos,acoustics and the "In through..." record with boring keys and sounds.

I was enthusiastic at the last shows but the power was at the O2 even though the view was real sh......

Yes.But Jason was not an exact Copy of Bonzo.

At the O2 they seem to be very concentrated to show it themselve and the audiance once again.

It seems that after the tragic end of the 77 tour there was a bit of a fracture.

No live solos,acoustics and the "In through..." record with boring keys and sounds.

I was enthusiastic at the last shows but the power was at the O2 even though the view was real sh......

somebody that night I met that night at the O2 said hat he said it was up there with Knebworth as a performance.

somebody that night I met that night at the O2 said hat he said it was up there with Knebworth as a performance.

I was risking my a.... to get to Knebworth.I met fans who would die for them.But fact is:Non of us was feeling alright after the show.

You see we are all great admires of Led Zep but you got to stay frank.

Even the guitar amp was smashed during the first track.

So yes to the one above.O2 was much ,much better!

At the O2 they did not play ALS unfortunally ! But a whole version of "Dazed and Confuse".At Knebworth they played only the guitar solo

of it and the ALS version (though I was in heaven) was not a brilliant one as you see on the DVD.

i talked to many people straight as we came out of the O2 and many who saw them back in the day commented that it was definitely better than the gigs of the 80 tour. knebworth is probably forever going to be judged differently as they were the first shows in a while, their largest etc, but yes the O2 gig was immense and

• 1 month later...

i talked to many people straight as we came out of the O2 and many who saw them back in the day commented that it was definitely better than the gigs of the 80 tour. knebworth is probably forever going to be judged differently as they were the first shows in a while, their largest etc, but yes the O2 gig was immense and

Think about it... for the people that were lucky enough to attend the O2 concert... that was the best night of their life (considering they won the lottery to see Led Zeppelin...who hadn't played in years). In all honesty O2 could of been much better. If they had played a few more shows they would of tightened things up considerably.

Think about it... for the people that were lucky enough to attend the O2 concert... that was the best night of their life (considering they won the lottery to see Led Zeppelin...who hadn't played in years). In all honesty O2 could of been much better. If they had played a few more shows they would of tightened things up considerably.

Maybe you are right but alot of people think the warm up Kopenhagen 1 was better than the 1st. Knebworth.

Lottery----Yes I met a lad from the US who paid 2000$ for the ticket but when I came to the concerthall they still sold tickets for 500 pounds officially....

• 2 weeks later...

Archived