50 Greatest Guitar Riffs in Rock N Roll

Virginia

Got say the review for Jimmy is one of the best.

"04 'Heartbreaker' Led Zeppelin (1969) Picking the best Jimmy Page riff is a lot like picking the best sexual position: You can make a convincing argument for most of them. Some involve more technique and manual dexterity ('Black Dog'), while others involve sheer power ('Kashmir'), but they all leave you tired and happy. We're going with Led Zeppelin's 'Heartbreaker' because, well, we had to pick one, and it kicks copious amounts of ass"

As for some others I would have gone "Master of Puppetts" as a better riff than "Enter Sandman" for Metallica but its all subjective and yes there are loads more better riffs form the Stone's catalogue.

I find 'Satisfaction' to be one of the most boring riffs out of all the Stones' songs. :huh:

i wouldn't call it the most boring, but not their best either. I consider Jumpin' Jack Flash the most iconic rock&roll riff closely followed by Whole Lotta Love and am surprised neither are on there. Of couse, I have such high regards for these "so called" lists.

i wouldn't call it the most boring, but not their best either. I consider Jumpin' Jack Flash the most iconic rock&roll riff closely followed by Whole Lotta Love and am surprised neither are on there. Of couse, I have such high regards for these "so called" lists.

That list like most of them is a total Joke

If everyone here were asked to compile a similar list they would all be different and people would still bitch about them. It's just a list.

That's about the truth of it. No matter what the list said, someone would find fault with it. Stuff like this is subjective to its core, there's no way it can be anything but. You're asking people's opinions about something, and opinions are never objective. That's why I find these "best of" lists interesting, and find a great deal of humor in people getting indignant about an artist/song/album/riff they like being excluded, or not being ranked as high as they'd personally rank them.

It's like, come on people.

Here's my take on the list :

First of all, it is really nice seeing Led Zeppelin's "Heartbreaker" pretty high up on the list at number 4. That made me smile! :D

Also, I couldn't help but laugh on seeing that the folks who have compiled the list have ranked "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" by The Stones higher than "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" by Jimi Hendrix :lol:

And if it were up to me, I would have included "Highway Star" on the list instead of "Smoke On The Water". I love the guitar riffs on both, but to me, the guitar riff on "Highway Star" is deadly! B)

I am just expressing my opinion on the list. Hope you guys don't mind ;)

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

First of all, it is really nice seeing Led Zeppelin's "Heartbreaker" pretty high up on the list at number 4. That made me smile! :D

Also, I couldn't help but laugh on seeing that the folks who have compiled the list have ranked "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" by The Stones higher than "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" by Jimi Hendrix :lol:

And if it were up to me, I would have included "Highway Star" on the list instead of "Smoke On The Water". I love the guitar riffs on both, but to me, the guitar riff on "Highway Star" is deadly! B)

You go for it, everybody has an opinion but have to disagree even more with Ya Purple Riffs, as much as the two you say are cool, The "Burn" riff ( a reworking of "Gerswins" "

Fascinating Rhythm") to me is even better, but we could go on and on. Both Page and Blackmore came up with many great riffs. :)

You go for it, everybody has an opinion but have to disagree even more with Ya Purple Riffs, as much as the two you say are cool, The "Burn" riff ( a reworking of "Gerswins" "

Fascinating Rhythm") to me is even better, but we could go on and on. Both Page and Blackmore came up with many great riffs. :)

Oh man! Can't believe I forgot about "Burn". Gosh! That's another fav of mine! Thanks for reminding me! :D

And yep! We can go on and on about riffs and which is better and stuff, but, to be honest, I do find this kind of "arguing" really fun! :D

Sorry, Kiwi, but Smoke is the Purple's signature song and their most famous riff. If they're are ever elected in to the RR HOF, i'm sure this will be the song that they play. Having said that, I am and have been, a huge fan and love most of their music right from the start. Hush and their cover of Kentucky Woman still bring a smile to my face. And I agree with you that Highway Star is probably their most energetic tune and a highlight to any concert of theirs. IMO, if you really want to experience Deep Purple at their best, get a copy of In Rock and turn it up to deafening. It's right up there with Zep and Sabbath.

Personally I think its an 'ok' list. My biggest complaint is nothing by U2's the edge (!) in the top 25. Thats just silly. Something by David Gilmour also should have made the top 25. I was very happy to see a Smiths riff up there so high, --> johnny Marr is one of the most under-rated guitar players in rock. His stuff is a lot more creative than most of whats on that list

And Satisfaction as number 1? Ok, I like the Stones, I agree they were great, but for the number 1 riff of all time? Pick a more interesting riff! That song barely even has any guitar! The main riff is like 3 notes. Lol. Paint it Black, Honky Tonk Woman, The Last Time and Brown Sugar etc. All have way more interesting guitar parts.

What's interesting to me is that Keith, in his book said that "Jumpin Jack Flash" is his favorite riff.

That would've been another really good choice for a Stones riff. The Jumpin' Jack Flash guitar riff is genius. Layered guitars, simple yet complex. A much better guitar riff than Satisfaction. I'm not trying to say Satisfaction is a bad song, its a classic song, its just not a very good example of one of their better guitar riffs IMO.

If everyone here were asked to compile a similar list they would all be different and people would still bitch about them. It's just a list.

"Sensible" answer there, but I think they do not bitch, they debate, its the fun in debating whats a better riff or what everyones fave is. If

we all went thats it , the list is right, we would have nothing to talk about. Its fun to debate and not just state.

Oh man! Can't believe I forgot about "Burn". Gosh! That's another fav of mine! Thanks for reminding me! :D

And yep! We can go on and on about riffs and which is better and stuff, but, to be honest, I do find this kind of "arguing" really fun! :D

Yes it is, As much as I like "Highway Star" and live it really is fantastic, seeing them play Burn live was even better, but only saw that once as Ian Gillan will not sing MKIII stuff, which is a real shame, another thread here , but why is it singers will not sometimes sing other singesr stuff but the musicians will play it ??.

LONG LIVE ROCK'N'ROLL, oh thats another great Ritchie Blackmore Riff :)

Edited by leddy