Bert jansch influence on Jimmy page's

finches

Hi I'm new to this forum.

I am from England and a lover of guitar music.

Recently i have been listening to Bert Jansch. His first album 'Bert Jansch', is said to be a huge influence on Jimmy page's guitar playing. you can really hear Jimmy's ears pricking up and absorbing it. I think Jimmy would be a very different acoustic player without Jansch's inspiration.Any thoughts?

Recently i have been listening to Bert Jansch. His first album 'Bert Jansch', is said to be a huge influence on Jimmy page's guitar playing. you can really hear Jimmy's ears pricking up and absorbing it. I think Jimmy would be a very different acoustic player without Jansch's inspiration.Any thoughts?

I read in a guitar mag once that Jansch said Jimmy can never look him in the eye when they meet or something like that, welcome to the site :)

I read in a guitar mag once that Jansch said Jimmy can never look him in the eye when they meet or something like that, welcome to the site :)

Thankyou for your welcome.

Yes i read that too.

I think Jimmy was a bit of a magpie but i think they were all doing it back then.

Everone copied everyone. The real pioneer was Davy Graham who was incredible and hugely influenced Bert Jansch.

I do think Jimmy turned things very much into his own,which is the strength of a true artist.

Hi finches, Bert Jansch is one of the best acoustic players I've ever seen perform live, spellbinding. I think both Jimmy and Neil Young have cited Jansch as an influence. I've seen Jansch several times, most recently last spring - I thought he was amazingly strong and energetic - much more so than I had imagined he would be after battling lung cancer. Jansch's playing was amazing and powerful and very evocative. I imagine that both Jimmy and Neil, hearing Jansch during their formative years, were inspired to bring some of his sound into their playing so without Jansch's inspiration, their playing might have been different (as might have Jansch's without the influence of Davy Graham).

Hello Mad screaming gallery,

Yes you are so right.

I was fortunate enough to see Davy Graham a few years ago at a very intimate venue.

Truly Brilliant, bizarre,surreal and very moving.

There are not many musicians playing this kind of music these days but i have recently discovered a Guitarist called Tom Sanderson who's album 'BOMBUS' is excellent. I read a review of his album and it likened his playing to Jimmy page in his acoustic moments, so naturally i had to check it out and yes it is pretty damned good. Have a look at his website to get a taste....

www.bombusmusic.co.uk

I haven't stopped playing Bombus and Bert Jansch for the last few weeks.

Hello Mad screaming gallery,

Yes you are so right.

I was fortunate enough to see Davy Graham a few years ago at a very intimate venue.

Truly Brilliant, bizarre,surreal and very moving.

There are not many musicians playing this kind of music these days but i have recently discovered a Guitarist called Tom Sanderson who's album 'BOMBUS' is excellent. I read a review of his album and it likened his playing to Jimmy page in his acoustic moments, so naturally i had to check it out and yes it is pretty damned good. Have a look at his website to get a taste....

www.bombusmusic.co.uk

I haven't stopped playing Bombus and Bert Jansch for the last few weeks.

Hi finches, thanks, yes, I recently heard about Tom Sanderson and Bombus via one of my English friends...we were talking about Davey Graham, Nick Drake, Sandy Denny, John Martyn, Pentangle... and he suggested I listen to Bombus.

Hi finches, thanks, yes, I recently heard about Tom Sanderson and Bombus via one of my English friends...we were talking about Davey Graham, Nick Drake, Sandy Denny, John Martyn, Pentangle... and he suggested I listen to Bombus.

I'd never heard of Tom Sanderson or Bombus till recently but i really love the energy and atmosphere he gives to those songs. It's great to hear an album that is just the guitar but isn't bland and lifeless .There's a real edge to his playing i think.

Be good to see him live.

Has anyone?

• 10 months later...

Precisely on the subject, an editorial in The Irish Echo. Writer Larry Kirwan says that: "Perhaps, the greatest compliment – and heartbreak – was when Jimmy Page lifted Bert’s arrangement of the traditional “Blackwaterside” and turned it into Led Zeppelin’s “Black Mountain Side.” Listen to them back to back sometime".

"There was no acknowledgement of the influence and a lawsuit was threatened but the prospective costs caused Bert and his label, Transatlantic Records, to let the issue slide."

http://irishecho.com/?p=68360

Precisely on the subject, an editorial in The Irish Echo. Writer Larry Kirwan says that: "Perhaps, the greatest compliment – and heartbreak – was when Jimmy Page lifted Bert’s arrangement of the traditional “Blackwaterside” and turned it into Led Zeppelin’s “Black Mountain Side.” Listen to them back to back sometime".

"There was no acknowledgement of the influence"

Untrue.

"I wasn't totally original on that...there was Bert Jansch's version" -- Jimmy Page

That was all the acknowledgment that Jansch deserved, considering that Jansch did not write the song, did not copyright his arrangement, and "borrowed" most of his guitar melody from Isla Cameron and Annie Briggs.

• 2 months later...

Just bought Tom Sanderson's album Bombus on the strength of what you guys have been saying. I'm loving it.some of it is very atmospheric, I totally tripped out whilst listening to it in the car the other day.made my commute home an absolute pleasure.Thanks guys,top tip.

I saw Bert Jansch live three times before he died recently. At the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston several years ago, and more recently when he opened for Neil Young at the Oakdale Theatre in Wallingford, CT and when he played at the Crossroads Guitar Festival 2010 in Chicago. Bert Jansch was probably the best at what he does and a tremendous influence on a lot of famous people who started out playing acoustic before they delved into rock like Jimmy Page, Neil Young, Simon Le Bon, etc. There probably will never be another Bert Jansch, just like there will never be another Jimmy Page after he's gone. R.I.P.

I'm not with you on the simon le bon connection but the rest I agree.

The person who influenced Bert the most was Davy Graham.He was more important really, as without him there'd be no Bert as we knew him.A lot of people think that' Angie' was a Bert original,which of course it wasn't,it was a Davy Graham piece . He pretty much started world music in the early 60's. Everyone was playing skiffle music but Davy was off in the middle East and India etc discovering music that no one in the west has really heard before.The DADGAD tuning was derived from the modal instrument style of play from that part of the world. Shame he spent a lot of his latter years penniless,living in a bed sit. Often the way with pioneers .

I'm not with you on the simon le bon connection but the rest I agree.

The reason I mentioned him is because after Bert died, Simon Le Bon spoke about how much he loved Bert and how Bert was a big influence on him. Otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned him, as I do agree that you wouldn't be able to tell that by listening to his music.

Archived