Jimmy Page with Bon Jovi

Black-Dog

^ ^ ^

Music Therapy Benefit Concert encore at Hammersmith Odeon on January 10, 1990. My notes show they soundchecked and also performed 'Train Kept A Rollin' & "With A Little Help From My Friends'. There's an audio clip of 'You Keep Me Hanging On' from this concert circulating on You Tube that allegedly features Page as well but I'm not certain it does.

Setlist for that show:

1. Going Back [acoustic]*

2. Never Say Goodbye [acoustic]*

3. Shooting Star [acoustic]*

4. Wanted Dead Or Alive [acoustic]*

5. Livin' On A Prayer [acoustic]*

6. Love For Sale

7. We All Sleep Alone

8. It's My Life/We Gotta Get Out Of This Place

9. Cadillac Man

10. I'd Die For You

11. Wild In The Streets*

12. Blood On Blood*

13. The Boys Are Back In Town

14. Bad Medicine

15. You Keep Me Hanging On

16. Silent Night

17. Travelin' Band

18. Fever/I Got The Fever

19. Seven Days*

20. Social Disease*

21. The Train Kept A-Rollin' [with Jimmy Page]

22. Good Golly Miss Molly [with Jimmy Page]

23. With A Little Help From My Friends [with Jimmy Page]

* aired on BBC radio broadcast

Based on "You Keep Me Hanging On"'s place in the setlist, I'm inclined the think that Jimmy did not play on it.

Ugh, thats almost as bad as the puff diddy crap.

"Almost as bad"?!? This Bon Jovi loathing New Jerseyan says it's much, much worse! The P Diddy thing didn't bother me, especially when they did it on Saturday Night Live...

"Almost as bad"?!? This Bon Jovi loathing New Jerseyan says it's much, much worse! The P Diddy thing didn't bother me, especially when they did it on Saturday Night Live...

P daddy? Bon Jovi? there all assholes.

That was a strange era for Page, the early 90's, until Page/Plant. Going out live with Bon Jovi, Poison, Aerosmith. Chumming around with hair metal people like Slaughter (I saw a pic. of him with Coverdale and them). Heck, the whole Coverdale thing. He seemed more focused on rock n roll cliche than artistry (the Coverdale Page CD).

I wish he had hung out with Geordie from Killing Joke like he did in the 80's. I think you can hear the influence in The Firm (the guitar sounds).

I know its been suggested that Plant started Unledded because he was impressed by Page on the C/P CD. I think he may have contacted Page for that to get him away from a dud of a musical path.

Hi again, sorry to double post! Further to what I said last time, Page could have appeared with so many amazing bands around that time! Dinosaur jr., Mudhoney, Nirvana, Pumpkins, The Wedding Present, and more. They were doing excellent, excellent stuff. He could have fit in quite well, refer to "Out on the Tiles", and a lot of the sounds on Graffitti. Instead, he went with all the commercialized, lowest common denominator, children of Zeppelin. For me, this whole thing culminated in that awful song "Feeling Hot". I mean, he sounds like Slash on that.

Hi again, sorry to double post! Further to what I said last time, Page could have appeared with so many amazing bands around that time! Dinosaur jr., Mudhoney, Nirvana, Pumpkins, The Wedding Present, and more. They were doing excellent, excellent stuff. He could have fit in quite well, refer to "Out on the Tiles", and a lot of the sounds on Graffitti. Instead, he went with all the commercialized, lowest common denominator, children of Zeppelin. For me, this whole thing culminated in that awful song "Feeling Hot". I mean, he sounds like Slash on that.

There's fates a whole lot worse than sounding like Slash. I was never a huge fan of G n' R but they were about as far removed from "hair metal" as one could get. Still, I get the point. Perhaps Page was clueless as to what else was going on in music at the time. I mean at one time he was championing the likes of The Damned yet this same guy went on to work with P. Diddley and Fred Durst. I admire his open mindedness but perhaps he was living under a rock musically.

There's fates a whole lot worse than sounding like Slash. I was never a huge fan of G n' R but they were about as far removed from "hair metal" as one could get. Still, I get the point. Perhaps Page was clueless as to what else was going on in music at the time. I mean at one time he was championing the likes of The Damned yet this same guy went on to work with P. Diddley and Fred Durst. I admire his open mindedness but perhaps he was living under a rock musically.

I would have liked to see him in a band with Rat Scabies, I heard there was an audition (excuse the lack of detail there).

It seems to me like he may be weary of really putting an amazing band out there. He may not want anyting he does to seriously compete with Zeppelin. I see him as being in legacy protection mode for many years now.

I would have liked to see him in a band with Rat Scabies, I heard there was an audition (excuse the lack of detail there).

It seems to me like he may be weary of really putting an amazing band out there. He may not want anyting he does to seriously compete with Zeppelin. I see him as being in legacy protection mode for many years now.

I've gotten the distinct impression that he would like to continue with some form of Led Zeppelin.

Page's guitar playing in Led Zeppelin showcased all his varied styles. Expecting him not to sound like himself or play Led Zeppelin material is like asking Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Carlos Santana or Jeff Beck not to sound like themselves. It's unreasonable.

Page's guitar playing in Led Zeppelin showcased all his varied styles. Expecting him not to sound like himself or play Led Zeppelin material is like asking Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Carlos Santana or Jeff Beck not to sound like themselves. It's unreasonable.

I must've missed the part where someone said he didn't sound like himself.

I've gotten the distinct impression that he would like to continue with some form of Led Zeppelin.

Me as well. The WIC shows seemed very heavy on the Zeppelin. I actually preferred the WIC parts of the show.

They sounded fresher and more vibrant to me. The way I am, I compare the bowing on HMMT in those shows to what you see in the Supershow '69, it pales for me.

My point is, I like Jimmy better doing something new, not a repeat of something he has done better previously. (to my taste). I am not huge on the idea of a Zeppelin tour for that reason. I tend to think they would turn it into a hits tour, my preference would be for the majority of it to be dazzling new music.

I think JPJ got it right last year. TCV, a new unit, a tour with just the new music, great enthusiasm, no (that I could see) concern for a radio friendly sound (not talking of Zeppelin there). It's like he didn't want to lean on Zeppelin at all, short of whatever skills he developed in that time. I found that very admirable.

Me as well. The WIC shows seemed very heavy on the Zeppelin. I actually preferred the WIC parts of the show.

They sounded fresher and more vibrant to me. The way I am, I compare the bowing on HMMT in those shows to what you see in the Supershow '69, it pales for me.

My point is, I like Jimmy better doing something new, not a repeat of something he has done better previously. (to my taste). I am not huge on the idea of a Zeppelin tour for that reason. I tend to think they would turn it into a hits tour, my preference would be for the majority of it to be dazzling new music.

I've got nothing against Plant's latest venture or his desire to steer clear of anything approaching a Led Zeppelin reunion at the moment but I agree with him, if it ever were to happen, it would have to hinge on the inclusion of new music. Unfortunately, I never saw any of the Walking Into Clarksdale shows but I did catch them during the tour for Unledded during their stopover at the Omni in Atlanta.

I think JPJ got it right last year. TCV, a new unit, a tour with just the new music, great enthusiasm, no (that I could see) concern for a radio friendly sound (not talking of Zeppelin there). It's like he didn't want to lean on Zeppelin at all, short of whatever skills he developed in that time. I found that very admirable.

Me too. Who knew he would eventually end up doing these scores which have become news in recent months? Nothing against those either, I guess he comes by it honestly going all the way back to his session work in the 60s as well as his work on the Scream For Help soundtrack.

I've got nothing against Plant's latest venture or his desire to steer clear of anything approaching a Led Zeppelin reunion at the moment but I agree with him, if it ever were to happen, it would have to hinge on the inclusion of new music. Unfortunately, I never saw any of the Walking Into Clarksdale shows but I did catch them during the tour for Unledded during their stopover at the Omni in Atlanta.

How was that? I really liked the original music they did for that project. Wonderful One, City Don't Cry, great. Did you find the orchestra detracted from Page and Plant, or added to it? I've seen videos of the tour, Page seems to have taken off, really good playing. I wasn't into the Unledded kick off TV performance, he seemed somewhat stiff. I really liked their version of Lullabye by The Cure.

Me too. Who knew he would eventually end up doing these scores which have become news in recent months? Nothing against those either, I guess he comes by it honestly going all the way back to his session work in the 60s as well as his work on the Scream For Help soundtrack.

Which scores do you refer to? I'm curious. Thanks.

Which scores do you refer to? I'm curious. Thanks.

There's much more info on them here in the forums but for starters, the Merce Cunningham Dance Show, the Anna Nicole Smith Opera and most recently, something called Throats.

There's much more info on them here in the forums but for starters, the Merce Cunningham Dance Show, the Anna Nicole Smith Opera and most recently, something called Throats.

Thanks. He's on a good path, creative, artistic. I saw video if TCV. You wouldn't know he was from such a huge band as Zeppelin.

He was jumping around like a kid, so excited about about his new band. He didn't come off as having any attitude or self importance, the rock God thing.

He came off sort of like an indie rock guy! I think its great, music unhampered by ego.

Thanks. He's on a good path, creative, artistic. I saw video if TCV. You wouldn't know he was from such a huge band as Zeppelin.

He was jumping around like a kid, so excited about about his new band. He didn't come off as having any attitude or self importance, the rock God thing.

He came off sort of like an indie rock guy! I think its great, music unhampered by ego.

I caught them in Sydney last year and Dave, Josh and Alain were doing their best to keep up with Jonesy! :)

Archived