Christopher Cross - Christopher Cross: 'I Played With Deep Purple, Supported Led Zeppelin'

Silver Rider

Grammy Award-winning Arthur's Theme singer Christopher Cross has a secret heavy metal background - he once stood in for Deep Purple's Ritchie Blackmore and toured with Led Zeppelin.

The singer/songwriter is best known for easy listening hits like Sailing and Ride Like The Wind, but he has revealed he once rubbed shoulders with the icons of hard rock.

He tells Spinner.com, "In Texas, where I grew up, I played in a band called Flash. When Deep Purple first came over, like 1970, Ritchie Blackmore got ill. A promoter friend told them I could play guitar and I did the gig.

"They offered people their money back, but about 80 per cent stayed.

"And Flash had some fun moments. We toured Texas on a bill with Jethro Tull and Led Zeppelin in about 1969.

"I even bought an amp from Jimmy Page, which he remembered years later. Robert Plant saw me at the shows and thought I was a fan following the tour. When I told him my band was opening, that next night I saw him in the wings, watching us. It was awesome."

contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/christopher-cross-i-played-with-deep-purple-supported-led-zeppelin_1217847

Wow...you could knock me over with a feather. :D

I HATED that Arthur's Theme song...and just about everything else Christopher Cross did in the '80's.

Just goes to show...you learn something new every day.

What's next? Barry Manilow filling in on keyboards with the Grateful Dead? Ann Murray subbing for Grace Slick?

I may not know all there is to know about Christopher Cross, however, the songs He is known for, I do admit I like. I may not hear or play this songs on a regular basis, but I do like "Ride Like the Wind", "Sailing" and "Arthur's" theme. I guess you could call them a few of my "guity pleasure" songs.

Hell, if he really did play one gig with Deep Purple (as a sub for Ritchie Blackmore) and have his band open for Led Zeppelin, I have to give the man Respect. Plus he is a fellow Texan. That in itself means alot to me.

Not only that but he did some vocals with the Electromagnets (Eric Johnson) in '74-'75 !

Who'd have know that ? ;)

Eric performed on CC's debut album as well on CC's new album (this year, too).

R B)

• 3 years later...

I may not know all there is to know about Christopher Cross, however, the songs He is known for, I do admit I like. I may not hear or play this songs on a regular basis, but I do like "Ride Like the Wind", "Sailing" and "Arthur's" theme. I guess you could call them a few of my "guity pleasure" songs. Hell, if he really did play one gig with Deep Purple (as a sub for Ritchie Blackmore) and have his band open for Led Zeppelin, I have to give the man Respect. Plus he is a fellow Texan. That in itself means alot to me.

I agree. Christopher Cross has always been a huge guilty pleasure of mine -- I associate his songs with a magical, wonderful time in my life when I was 11/12 years old. I love his songs "Never Be The Same", "Sailing", "Ride Like The Wind", "Laura", etc. I'm amazed to learn that his band opened for Zeppelin -- wow.

I agree. Christopher Cross has always been a huge guilty pleasure of mine -- I associate his songs with a magical, wonderful time in my life when I was 11/12 years old. I love his songs "Never Be The Same", "Sailing", "Ride Like The Wind", "Laura", etc. I'm amazed to learn that his band opened for Zeppelin -- wow.

I never felt even felt guilty about liking Sailing. Great song that always reminds me of a summer I spent waiting tables at a ocean side bar. It was a popular song that summer and frequently played on our juke box. I was in love that summer so those are great memories for me. Who woulda thunk the guy who wrote that song once subbed for Ritchie Blackmore in Deep Purple and opened for Led Zeppelin.

I feel the same...as soon as "Ride" comes on, Im transported back to the age of 11...large floor speakers with the grill removed, 15" woofer moving to the beat...it was indeed a magical time !

Kinda funny how some musician's get flabby with age, musically speaking that is. For the life me, or For Your Life, I can't think of anyone else in particular though.

Blackjack featuring Michael Bolton and Bruce Kulick (pre KISS)

Ted Nugent featuring Meatloaf… not that Meat became a crooner...

Archived