Stairway vs Bohemian Rhapsody vs Won't get Fooled again

McSeven

STH.I closed my eye and let the music flow through my ears.It's like having a Ferrari and you drive it through some great roads.The feeling is vibrant and it makes you alive.

BR,meanwhile is like looking at a Ferrari.You admire it but it doesn't moves you.

That's my opinion.

Hmm...difficult choice.

1) I think "Won't Get Fooled Again" is the ultimate rock anthem. It has the best lyrics of the three songs (Pete Townshend knows a thing or two about politics) but the music can easily stand alone without them. I've always liked this song but when The Who first released it, I was 11 years old. Too young to "get" the lyrics' message. The synthesizer solos and the drum bridge towards the end are what hooked me. I never tire of this song.

2) I consider "Stairway to Heaven" the ultimate power ballad. It has everything a proper power ballad should have. The melodic instrumental opening. The gentle, soulful singing at the beginning with JPJ playing recorder and Page gently strumming his guitar in the background. Then comes the section in the song where Page makes his guitar sound like a clarion bell. It's almost as if he's saying, "Okay folks. Enough of this ballad shit. It's time to rock!" I'd rank it above "Bohemian Rhapsody" because Plant, Page, Jones and Bonham could perform it as well live as they could in the studio.

3) Bohemian Rhapsody combines rock, musical theater and opera; three musical genres that you wouldn't think could coexist in one song. It's brilliant in both concept and execution. This is the song I play for people if they want to know what Queen was all about as a band. However...Freddie Mercury, Brian May, Roger Taylor and John Deacon could not perform it live without technical help. This is why I rank it below "Won't Get Fooled Again" and "Stairway to Heaven".

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I love all three, but they are not my favourite songs by those bands. In fact, I will frequently skip STH and BR because they have been done to death (especially BR) which has spoiled them for me. I love 70s Queen but several of their big hits I feel exactly the same way about (I hate how they've sold out so much). Those of you who love BR try listening to March of the Black Queen from Queen II. It's exquisite.

I don't like the Who much, so WGFA was never a favorite. However, after hearing all of these songs played to death over the past 40+ years, STH is the only one that still takes me to another world. It is the masterpiece that shaped a new direction. On the occasion when I listen to the radio, and BR or WGFA come on, I have to change the channel. I just cannot listen to those songs anymore due to over exposure. I suppose that they all have their merits, but I tend to enjoy the deeper cuts more these days.

I think each song has something different to offer and I love to listen to all three of them. I don't know if I could really pick one out of the group. Zeppelin is my favorite band and I love Queen and The Who too.

Stairway to Heaven: Just a classic. Great lyrics, sound, production. A guitar masterpiece.

Bohemian Rhapsody: Fun to sing along to. Very well put together. Dramatic. Beautiful.

Won't Get Fooled Again: Keyboard lovers delight. Very smart and political song. Excellent singing. Fun to listen to.

I think all the songs have different things about them that make me love them. I also think they are all so different from each other that it's hard to make any kins of comparison.

It shows you how good music really was in the 70's.

i could'nt agree more

• 3 weeks later...

this is a hard but a great topic. the three are all classic music, by three super bands.

bohemian rhapsody- great lyrics, opera/rock music 5.59 mins.

fooled again- pure Townsend lyrics, keyboards up front. super who.

stairway to heaven- slow 6/12 string acoustic guitars, lyrics of pure myth, the rhythm section kicks in.

what a fab three classic songs. all from my teenage years.

I`m a lucky geekfreak.

• 5 weeks later...

Here's my take on all three songs:

"Bohemian Rhapsody" - IMHO, one of the greatest songs of all time. Period.

"Won't Get Fooled Again" - Fantastic stadium rock type anthem

"Stairway To Heaven" - A beautiful masterpiece. Practically, a work of art.

As much as I love Led Zeppelin and The Who, Queen will always be my all-time favourite band and hence, I am always a little partial to Queen. If I was asked which song (out of these three) is my all-time favourite, I will (without a moment's hesitation) pick "Bohemian Rhapsody".

However, since this is about choosing (from these three songs) the song which I believe defines the Hard Rock music genre, "Won't Get Fooled Again" gets my vote.

Archived