Stairway vs Bohemian Rhapsody vs Won't get Fooled again

McSeven

I believe that these three songs really defined what Hard Rock was all about. What is your take and which one do you think is Iconic. Zep is my favorite band out of all of them. BR is my favorite song. It has a lot of dynamics in the song.

Anyways. I am curious to your take on the songs.

Mc7

I think each song has something different to offer and I love to listen to all three of them. I don't know if I could really pick one out of the group. Zeppelin is my favorite band and I love Queen and The Who too.

Stairway to Heaven: Just a classic. Great lyrics, sound, production. A guitar masterpiece.

Bohemian Rhapsody: Fun to sing along to. Very well put together. Dramatic. Beautiful.

Won't Get Fooled Again: Keyboard lovers delight. Very smart and political song. Excellent singing. Fun to listen to.

I think all the songs have different things about them that make me love them. I also think they are all so different from each other that it's hard to make any kins of comparison.

It shows you how good music really was in the 70's.

I think Bohemian Rhapsody is the best, it's the more original

Stairway is an excellent song of course, but less innovative than Bohemian Rhapsody

Won't get fooled again is a good song,but it's way too repetitive, and the melody isn't really elaborate.If I had to pick A Who song, I'd pick Baba O' Riley instead

Well, I really like all the songs, Zep IV is a great album in general (I could probably listen to it anytime) and Who's Next is a really good album in general, Bohemian Rhapsody is a good song (especially the guitar solo), really I am a fan of all those bands, but mostly Zep.:D

• 2 weeks later...

I think Bohemian Rhapsody is the best, it's the more original

Stairway is an excellent song of course, but less innovative than Bohemian Rhapsody

Gotta disagree - not about the personal preference, but BR can hardly be more innovative than STH when it copied the whole idea of a longer than average song building slowly to a frenzied section which then died away. BR couldn't have happened without STH - ask the Queen boys they were big Zepp fans.

They are all marvellous pieces in their own way.

WGFA is rather rudimentary, but it KICKS ASS.

STH isn't particularly sophisticated, but it builds nicely. However, it's not a very interactive song - unless you class holding up lighters as participation...

BR's the star of the trio, IMO. Unlike the other two, nothing like this had been heard before. Totally preposterous and thoroughly entertaining, with an iconic video to match. The whole deal. And unlike the other two, it didn't take itself too seriously. How could it?

The answer's in the legacy too, IMO. Look at all the hideous pap STH has 'inspired'. That's not LZ's fault, but still.....whereas BR led to moments of comic genius in Wayne's World and Bad News, and more recently Gio Compario. Class.

^ +1 for the 'Bird

Such a beautiful song, always guaranteed to bring a tear to my jaded and cynical eye - especially whenever I see it being used to such poignant effect for the tragic ending of one of my favourite films:

Because of copyright infringement

The "No Stairway..." sign didn't have anything to do with copyright infringement. It's a take on the cliche about beginners picking up a guitar in music stores and attempting to play "Stairway To Heaven" but only knowing the introduction to the song. Same goes for several other tunes, the other most infamous one being "Smoke on the Water".

The "No Stairway..." sign didn't have anything to do with copyright infringement. It's a take on the cliche about beginners picking up a guitar in music stores and attempting to play "Stairway To Heaven" but only knowing the introduction to the song. Same goes for several other tunes, the other most infamous one being "Smoke on the Water".

On the "Stairway" clip from Wayne's World, I stand corrected. They weren't able to use the actual intro to the song because of copyright law. I never knew that. That said, the whole premise of the "No Stairway" sign is correct, it's because too many amateurs come in and only know the intro.

No sure how many here listen to Soundcheck on WNYC but "Bohemian Rhapsody" will be the focus of today's installment as part of their Singles Smackdown feature. If you miss it, these episodes are archived on the site afterwards as podcasts.

• 1 month later...

Gotta disagree - not about the personal preference, but BR can hardly be more innovative than STH when it copied the whole idea of a longer than average song building slowly to a frenzied section which then died away. BR couldn't have happened without STH - ask the Queen boys they were big Zepp fans.

BH is a good tune, but the middle "opera" section is an innovation that doesn't work for me....

I must be the only one who's not fond of "Won't Be Fooled Again".

I love BR and STH (more BR, though, only because it's not played as often on the radio).

Unfortunately all 3 have been killed by radio for me. I do love WGFA, from The Kids Are Alright video. I will sometimes listen to Stairway during a bootleg concert, but BR was killed by "Wayne's World" forever for me!

Unfortunately all 3 have been killed by radio for me. I do love WGFA, from The Kids Are Alright video. I will sometimes listen to Stairway during a bootleg concert, but BR was killed by "Wayne's World" forever for me!

Hahaha! I definitely hear you about "Wayne's World" killing it. That video and movie clip was on everywhere. Damn.

Has to be STH. I love BR but it is not their definitive work, I think Innuendo would have to be Queen at their best or The Show Must Go On. Both masterpieces and both are structured in a more fluid manner than BR. Robert is 100% correct about Kashmir being the definitive Zeppelin song, it is absolutely PERFECT.

On a side note, one of my favorite jams is the live version of Mood for a Day off of Yessongs. Steve Howe is a brilliant guitarist and his montage is pure magic.

I agree wholeheartedly. Any thoughts as to why STH gets more attention?

I think it's because they released it first. If kashmir had been their first epic rocker, it would probably have been more famous. Then I'd ask why Achilles Last Stand isn't their definitive song... :P

As for the topic itself, the three songs are too different to be compared. They are all in their own ways awesome songs.

Archived