David Letterman Bangs Out 'Drum Solo Week'

David Letterman Bangs Out 'Drum Solo Week'

Megan Masters

http://www.tvline.com/2011/06/letterman-late-show-drum-solo-week/

Band geeks unite: Late Show with David Letterman is kicking off its first ever “Drum Solo Week.”

The late-night staple is dedicating a week’s worth of episodes to performances by some of the music industry’s top percussionists, starting with a standout solo on Monday, June 6 from the Late Show‘s very own Anton Fig, the drummer in Paul Shaffer’s band.

The following night, Letterman welcomes Sheila E. and her world renowned skill with the sticks.

On Wednesday, June 8, drum legend Roy Haynes takes the stage, boasting a career filled with Miles Davis and Sarah Vaughn collaborations (to name a few). And rounding out the week is a performance by Rush’s Neil Peart, a drummer who is often regarded as one of rock music’s greatest.

In addition to a week filled with extra musical guests, Letterman will gab with Kyle Chandler (Friday Night Lights, J.J. Abrams’ Super 8), Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother, Tony Awards host), Jon Cryer (Two and a Half Men), and more TV types.

The Late Show‘s “Drum Solo Week” debuts Monday, June 6 at 11:35/10:35c on CBS.

Well, I might have to watch this. Due to circumstances, I've actually watched more Dave in the past week than I have in the past year.

I used to watch Dave more in the past...especially the NBC show in the 80's; if I knew I was going to be out late that night, I would program my VHS to tape it. I even remember his brief wacky morning show he had before doing Late Night.

As the 90's turned to the 2000's though, I found myself watching less and less until I stopped setting the VHS, or VCR, or Tivo to record Dave at all. If Robert Plant or Neil Young or someone equally cool was going to be on, then I'd record it.

Over the years, I watched less and less, as I became more interested in taping the Daily Show and the Colbert Report. And as I usually would get home around 1 am, if not later, I discovered the Scottish lunacy of the guy on after Dave, Craig Ferguson. Now, that guy is a trip.

I'll still watch Dave over Leno...I CANNOT stand Jay Leno; he's the bottom of the barrel. Like how the Dude feels about the Eagles in "The Big Lebowski".

I'll watch Ferguson, Conan or Dave. But Jay? Never...not even if God himself was a guest.

My Rush-loving friend'll be stoked about the Peart episode. Roy Haynes is the one I'm looking forward to most.

Thanks for the headsup, Pagemeister!

The Dude: Jesus, man, can you change the station? Cab Driver: Fuck you man! You don't like my fucking music, get your own fucking cab! The Dude: I've had a... Cab Driver: I pull over and kick your ass out, man! The Dude: - had a rough night, and I hate the fucking Eagles, man

Will have to check it out. I'll always remember the San Francisco rock station back in the 60's and 70's that would always cut out a drum solo because their thinking was that all drummers 'were on speed'. I guess they never figured that it took a lot of damned talent and just natural energy to play drums good.

Assholes.

<_<

I wasn't very impressed with Anton Fig's drumming last night. I look forward to Neil Peart's drum solo. I believe it is being taped tonight for the airing on Friday. (check your local listings)

Whatta ya' want, 9000 drums and 40 sticks in each of his hands?

I didn't know Anton had it in him and his cross sticking was great.

B)

I wasn't very impressed with Anton Fig's drumming last night. I look forward to Neil Peart's drum solo. I believe it is being taped tonight for the airing on Friday. (check your local listings)

It will air on Thursday. Don't want anyone to miss it!

Even though I've been a regular Letterman viewer through the years it was Anton's work on Ace Frehley's solo album that really caused him to register on my radar (he was also in Frehley's Comet). Other members of what is now known as "the CBS Orchestra" were also all over those Kiss solo records back then. They're all consumate studio musicians handpicked by Paul Shaffer.

This has got me extra pumped now, I'll be seeing them(Rush) next Thursday! They haven't played in an indoor arena here in Phoenix in 14 and a half years, and I am so ready! I really like this "Drum Solo Week".

Archived