JPJ '75 Tone?

I am in love with his '75 tone. But all of the pics I see on 1975 don't seem to have the Acoustic 361 Cabinets (or they were just painted black and the covers were taken off) Anyone know how to get this? EQ, settings, different cabinets..?

Never noticed that....I'll check some pics but as far as I can remember in 1975 he had his Fender Bassman and Acoustic setup. It is possible he changed from Acoustic to (Gallien Krueger predesecor) GMT/Cerwin Vega amp/cab.

Never noticed that....I'll check some pics but as far as I can remember in 1975 he had his Fender Bassman and Acoustic setup. It is possible he changed from Acoustic to (Gallien Krueger predesecor) GMT/Cerwin Vega amp/cab.

1975-05_71.jpg

360 Amp Head, some sort of odd cabinet. It looks like the 361 but without the top cover and blue paint. I know Jimmy painted his Orange amps black for the '75 tour/ Maybe Jonsey wanted to match that? And all of the 1975 soundboards I've listened to JPJ's sound is so much more different than his earlier years. It doesn't sound like a 360 to me. But is has to be.

My fav. is his '73 tone, last leg of the US tour. Seattle and the New York dates.

The way it was captured in TSRTS is great, what a sound.

If there is an official DVD relesase of the O2, I would look forward to the pro. audio of his bass tone.

That would be an interesting feature.

My fav. is his '73 tone, last leg of the US tour. Seattle and the New York dates.

The way it was captured in TSRTS is great, what a sound.

If there is an official DVD relesase of the O2, I would look forward to the pro. audio of his bass tone.

That would be an interesting feature.

IMHO that tone has more to do with his shortlived flirt with that highly peculiar sounding Fender V bass...

IMHO that tone has more to do with his shortlived flirt with that highly peculiar sounding Fender V bass...

Not for MSG '73. That and his Seattle '75 tone are my favorite of his. That V Bass is very odd. It was like a jazz shaped body with a single coil p-pickup. So I just turn my bridge volume all the way down to get his later '73 tone. But he only used it with a couple of songs.

1975-05_71.jpg

360 Amp Head, some sort of odd cabinet. It looks like the 361 but without the top cover and blue paint. I know Jimmy painted his Orange amps black for the '75 tour/ Maybe Jonsey wanted to match that? And all of the 1975 soundboards I've listened to JPJ's sound is so much more different than his earlier years. It doesn't sound like a 360 to me. But is has to be.

He used D.I. boxes instead of mic'ing the 361 cabinets.

• 4 weeks later...

I think you're confusing his 4 string 62' Fender Jazz bass with his 71' 5 string Fender Jazz bass.

Not to nitpick, however the Fender Bass V had production discontinued in 1970. I agree with what you are saying though.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, his Jazz bass was a 61 I think. I have the exact same bass and amps John Paul Jones used and I can honestly say that most of the tone is left to player not the gear. If you know how to manipulate your instrument and amps you can do a lot. You don't necessarily need the same stuff but it can't hurt and is always fun.

And one more thing, Jimmy did not paint his Orange amps and cabinets black, he just removed the Orange amp and added one more plexi to the two he was already using.I also don't think that every show after 73 he used di boxes I'm pretty sure that they still used mics sometimes but if there is any change that would have a lot to do with it for sure. I can tell a difference when I mic my acoustic set up or use a di

And one more thing, Jimmy did not paint his Orange amps and cabinets black, he just removed the Orange amp and added one more plexi to the two he was already using.I also don't think that every show after 73 he used di boxes I'm pretty sure that they still used mics sometimes but if there is any change that would have a lot to do with it for sure. I can tell a difference when I mic my acoustic set up or use a di

Nice to see a fellow JPJ enthusiast. :D

Do you use a vintage Acoustic 360 setup or one of the new Acoustic B600Hs?

Also, his Jazz bass was a 61 I think. I have the exact same bass and amps John Paul Jones used and I can honestly say that most of the tone is left to player not the gear. If you know how to manipulate your instrument and amps you can do a lot. You don't necessarily need the same stuff but it can't hurt and is always fun.

I agree to some amount. If you play near the neck more of course you'll have a JPJ-like tone. But you can't get his tone by using a P-Bass with active pickups and Marshall bass amps. I say it's 40/60 (40 being equipment) What I think really affects the tone is the controls on the bass itself. I like to have my neck at 100% and my bridge at around 75% to replicate his sound somewhat good. His tone knob varies song to song in my opinion. And songs where he uses a pick, it sounds like he has both pickups at 100 sometimes, or he has the neck at 0% and the bridge at 100%. I can go on ranting forever. Sorry :)

lz19730717_10.jpg

This doesn't appear to be orange tolex.

Cabs amps or both painted? I could very well be wrong but I think that is a shadow, I have never seen a picture or even heard of him painting his oranges, in fact I've seen pictures of his orange heads and they are still original tolex today. Also by 77 he replaced the orange for the theremin with another plexi and that picture is from 73.

Archived