Old Venue

Nicey

This might be kind of a stupid topic, but I think it's interesting from a historical/cultural perspective I guess.

Zep played at the Grande Ballroom in Detroit a coupla times in 1969. I only know of two pics of any of those performances.

There's this one from this website:

det69_1.jpg

And then supposedly this one...

lz0451.jpg

But I could be wrong.

Anyway. Somehow or other, I found pics of the Grande Ballroom today. Check it out:

2bwlr7.jpg

http://www.detroitye...ndeBallroom.htm

6408kh.jpg

http://en.wikipedia....terior_2010.jpg

There's more at this link:

http://detroiturbex....nde/grande.html

Urban decay is just creepy! It looks like Zep played there a century ago.

Anyway. Thought it was interesting, and it's too hot to go outside, so I'm bumming around on the board today. :)

That is so sad. I love the design of the room. I wonder why it was allowed to go to rack and ruin?

Old buildings require a considerable amount of maintenance, particularly in harsh environments like Detroit. You might be surprised how quickly structures can fall into disrepair, and may enjoy the A&E series Life After People which explores this same topic in depth. Of course, scrappers and vandals also exact a significant toll.

Edited by SteveAJones

Old buildings require a considerable amount of maintenance, particularly in harsh environments like Detroit. You might be surprised how quickly structures can fall into disrepair, and may enjoy the A&E series Life After People which explores this same topic in depth. Of course, scrappers and vandals also exact a significant toll.

I know but it does sadden me that cities here in the U.S. don't have available funds for widespread historical preservation. It is easier and cheaper to demolish and rebuild rather than maintain and protect. We need to protect our history so that we can appreciate our future.(Damn, I sound like a politician. slapface.gif)

I have seen one of the episodes of that A&E series. It really is an eye opener how much impact humans have made on this planet and how all of that can be taken away and how much we can be easily forgotten.

If you're interested in a sort of "then and now" perspective on old venues Zeppelin played you'll probably enjoy this thread:

A Walk Down Memory Lane: The Houses of the Holy; The rise and fall of various concert venues

Thanks for pointing me towards this. slapface.gif I hate creating duplicate threads! I did a search before I made this one and didn't see it.

I've seen that show, and they seem to go to Detroit quite a bit. It is really interesting how quick nature takes over. I think they said that the Hoover Dam could last 3000 years, though. Or something like that. I can't remember. And they said Mount Rushmore would last into the next "epoch," because it was blasted out of granite.

Off-topic! Sorry.

20090703-020409-291933.jpg

Not Zep related as they never played here but the Boathouse in Norfolk, VA is a fine example of a once thriving venue (it was severely damaged by a hurricane several years ago) that has just been left to rot. There's a group of folks in that area who are very interested in bringing it back to life but they're up against some pretty insurmountable odds, namely the $$$$ to pull it off. Meanwhile, it's become an eyesore and is polluting the body of water surrounding it. According to the what I've read, the powers that be in Norfolk are perfectly ok with that and are making no efforts to demolish or salvage it. Sad.

Not Zep related as they never played here but the Boathouse in Norfolk, VA is a fine example of a once thriving venue (it was severely damaged by a hurricane several years ago) that has just been left to rot. There's a group of folks in that area who are very interested in bringing it back to life but they're up against some pretty insurmountable odds, namely the $$ to pull it off. Meanwhile, it's become an eyesore and is polluting the body of water surrounding it. According to the what I've read, the powers that be in Norfolk are perfectly ok with that and are making no efforts to demolish or salvage it. Sad.

That is sad. I've never seen a concert at a venue on the water. I bet that's neat.

That is sad. I've never seen a concert at a venue on the water. I bet that's neat.

Never been a big fan but I saw Phish there in '92. I was working for a radio station at the time so the ticket was free and one of my friends I went with is a big Phish fan so it was worth the journey just to check them out. Probably one of my favorite concerts by the water was a reggae festival on the coast of NC back in the 80s.

There are so many venues and other building throughout this country that fall to rotting and decay. It's unfortunate and unless a town, state or whatever has the funds or receives financing from other sources to preserve or restore something, this is the path they go down or get demolished to make room for retail outlets or condos etc.

There are so many venues and other building throughout this country that fall to rotting and decay. It's unfortunate and unless a town, state or whatever has the funds or receives financing from other sources to preserve or restore something, this is the path they go down or get demolished to make room for retail outlets or condos etc.

the-brewery.jpg?1209223646

This venue, The Brewery, featured prominently on the cover of the Backsliders' From Raleigh, NC EP (depicted below), where it was recorded, bites the dust on August 1st. It changed hands in 2004 and has since catered to the death metal/thrash crowd so I haven't set foot in there since but it's still a great loss to the Raleigh music scene.

41HAM27958L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Brewery is closing on Friday, July 29th. Our good friends in Embracing Goodbye will be the last band to play at The Brewery at 3009 Hillsborough St.

The closing is due to no fault of The Brewery. A local contractor bought the building, and is tearing it down on August 1st. We were informed of this only yesterday.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause to the fans, the bands, and the promoters we have worked with over the years. We love you guys.

This site will remain up, as well as the web page at www.brewerync.com. Don't forget about us... We may just be back one day.

Tom Taylor

The Brewery

Edited by Jahfin