Jimmy Page All Along the Watchtower

Black-Dog

That was alright I guess, would rather listen to the version of Neil doing it at the Bob Dylan anniversary concert though. How sloppy was that solo of Jimmy's? He must have been having a few with Keef backstage who was looking elegantly wasted as per usual.

That was alright I guess, would rather listen to the version of Neil doing it at the Bob Dylan anniversary concert though. How sloppy was that solo of Jimmy's? He must have been having a few with Keef backstage who was looking elegantly wasted as per usual.

That version at the Dylan anniv show is great. Actually quite epic. That was a great show with the exception of the who Sinead O'Connor thing. But she has herself to blame for that. Ruined her own career with that stab at Pope John Paul II, just a bit prior to this show.

That version at the Dylan anniv show is great. Actually quite epic. That was a great show with the exception of the who Sinead O'Connor thing. But she has herself to blame for that. Ruined her own career with that stab at Pope John Paul II, just a bit prior to this show.

While I don't necessarily agree with what she did, she obviously felt strongly enough about it to do it live on national television. I don't think it's any different than the controversy surrounding Dylan going electric at Newport or Neil Young recording a succession of decidedly "uncommercial" albums for Geffen back in the 80s.

While I don't necessarily agree with what she did, she obviously felt strongly enough about it to do it live on national television. I don't think it's any different than the controversy surrounding Dylan going electric at Newport or Neil Young recording a succession of decidedly "uncommercial" albums for Geffen back in the 80s.

I was at the Dylan tribute, and I wouldn't compare what she did to Dylan going electric or Neil Young's Geffen phase. Dylan and Young made musical decisions. What Sinead did had nothing to do with music at all. Everyone in the Garden, including the artists, was there to honor Bob, and she made it all about her. As someone who was there, it was a big "turd in the punchbowl" moment, and that's why she got booed. And I'm sure it wasn't just Catholics booing her.

I was at the Dylan tribute, and I wouldn't compare what she did to Dylan going electric or Neil Young's Geffen phase. Dylan and Young made musical decisions. What Sinead did had nothing to do with music at all. Everyone in the Garden, including the artists, was there to honor Bob, and she made it all about her. As someone who was there, it was a big "turd in the punchbowl" moment, and that's why she got booed. And I'm sure it wasn't just Catholics booing her.

I was referring to the controversy surrounding those moments, not the moments themselves.

Thats a really bad analogy. She basically ruined her career on that night, and it had nothing to do with music.

Dylan made it past Newport, and Neil Young (this is a strectch), survived shitty Neil Young albums in the 80's.

The controversy surrounding these events are really not comparable...as well.

I forgot to mention that Sinead refused to perform at a show in NJ around the same time, if the National Anthem (Star Spangled Banner) was played. I think it was at the Garden State Arts Center in Holmdel. I think at least up until then, it was always played before a performance there. It wasn't played as they didn't want the show canceled so the management of the venue gave in.

During this time, when Sinatra was still alive he went after her for making a big stink about this and how she had no respect for the USA etc., but could easily accept money for a performance there. Don't know if this is exact, but something like this as it was about twenty years ago.

During this time, when Sinatra was still alive he went after her for making a big stink about this and how she had no respect for the USA etc., but could easily accept money for a performance there. Don't know if this is exact, but something like this as it was about twenty years ago.

Which was one of the best skits Phil Hartman (as Sinatra) did on SNL, ever.

Sinead turned out to be right, though - and way ahead of the curve in terms of talking about the Catholic church not doing enough to protect children from abuse. A lot of people at the time were like, "WTF is she talking about" but now we know.

MStork, could you explain what you mean by "she made it all about her"? I thought she just walked out to sing a Dylan song and before she could get a line out, people started booing her.

Sinead turned out to be right, though - and way ahead of the curve in terms of talking about the Catholic church not doing enough to protect children from abuse. A lot of people at the time were like, "WTF is she talking about" but now we know.

MStork, could you explain what you mean by "she made it all about her"? I thought she just walked out to sing a Dylan song and before she could get a line out, people started booing her.

While the whole "tearing up the picture" thing had happened previously on SNL, she was greeted by a mix of cheers and boos. If you look it up on YouTube (I don't know how to embed a YouTube video on my iPad), there were easily more cheers than boos. Instead of plowing ahead and singing, she stepped back from the mic and told the band to stop, basically making herself a martyr. THEN the boos overtook the cheers. If she'd just launched into a Dylan song like everyone else did I'm sure she would have won the crowd over because she's a beautiful singer and we were all there to honor and celebrate Bob and his music. Instead of doing that she made the moment all about her in my opinion.

As a side note, that concert was the one and only time I got to see George Harrison play live. What a blessing!

Archived