DON'T FORGET: SPRING AHEAD TONIGHT!

Strider

Who came up with this stupidity? It's like setting the clock ahead by five minutes so you won't be late. It doesn't change the actual time.

In 1784, while he was serving as the American ambassador to France, Benjamin Franklin wrote an essay entitled “An Economical Project.” In this satirical essay, Franklin claims to have discovered that the sun “gives light as soon as he rises.” He says that the people of Paris are intelligent and economical people, and he cannot imagine that they would still be using so much candlelight at night if they knew they could get sunlight in the morning for free.

I used to think it was Franklin, but I recently heard it was some kind of insanity cooked up during WWI to save energy, or some such nonsense.

As well as Franklin, in 1895 an entomologist in New Zealand, George Vernon Hudson, presented a paper to the Wellington Philosophical Society outlining a daylight saving scheme which was eventually trialled successfully in New Zealand in 1927.

I believe that it was during WW1 that the UK adopted the practice, but the Idea was around before...

I used to think it was for the farmers...something to do with them having more daylight hours to harvest in the afternoon. I remember also hearing as a child that the reason we moved the clocks back in the fall was so school kids weren't walking to school in the dark.

Anyway, here's the relevant info: http://www.webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/e.html

Thanks for the reminder.

It usually takes me a week for me to get used to the time change. Our bodies are used to certain things happening at particular times and the hour change throws me off. But I do like the daylight lasting later into the evening.

I know it was G W Bush who moved the dates closer a few years ago, so we "fall back" in November instead of the weekend before Halloween and "spring ahead" before Easter..... This "spring ahead" isn't even in Spring either!!! We are on daylight savings time more than the normal time anymore!

Apparently this Forum's clocks don't adjust automatically, as it is still an hour behind. Or does this board run on UK time?

Personally, I don't mind it...as Ledzepfvr said, it's nice to have the extra daylight in the evening. Who needs daylight at 4am? I'm asleep by then.

Besides, since most gadgets these days seem to adjust the time for you, it doesn't matter if you remember or not. Fortunately I am one of those people whose body doesn't have trouble adjusting to the time change. Just as I never get jet lag.

Apparently this Forum's clocks don't adjust automatically, as it is still an hour behind. Or does this board run on UK time?

Personally, I don't mind it...as Ledzepfvr said, it's nice to have the extra daylight in the evening. Who needs daylight at 4am? I'm asleep by then.

Besides, since most gadgets these days seem to adjust the time for you, it doesn't matter if you remember or not. Fortunately I am one of those people whose body doesn't have trouble adjusting to the time change. Just as I never get jet lag.

I use my cellphone instead of a alarm clock now, the fact that it adjusts itself comes in handy.

• 2 years later...

Archived