Religion? (Keep it civil)

DAS

Religion  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Religion?

• Protestant
    • Catholic
    • Christian(ish) Other (Orthodox/Mormon/Whatever)
    • Athiest
    • Agnostic
    • Jewish
    • Eastern Religion (Hindu/Budhist/Etc)
    • Have one, don't really follow it
    • Don't care
    • Other

>Yes, that point would have begun during the "Dark Ages" of Europe, when Islam was a shining light of medical, astronomical and mathematical knowledge. Without the Moslem preservation of the Greek classical texts, very few would have survived until today, it was the Christians who sytematically destroyed these great texts.<

Not really,they survive to this day.

>Guys, don't forget that the Western Media's exhibition of Islam is terribly bent and warped. It focuses on extremists in the Sunni and Shi'ite sects but ignores moderate Moslems and moderate Moslem sects, like the Sufis and the Ismailis. Most Moselms, like most Christians, don't really "practice" their religion, they pay it lip service and that's about all.<

Hence the problem.Yet the Sunni and Shi'ite,like all religions seem to be in extreme,...

>I'm sure most of the fellows in the Page/Plant Cairo Orchestra were ostensibly Muslims.<

You know that as fact?

>Oh, and if you want to hear some Led Zeppelin influenced Middle-Eastern "world music," <

Zep was making -world music- before it was called that,....

The arch father Abraham (Hebrew) is called Ibrahim in the Quran.

If the guy in the band were Jewish his name would most logically be Abraham indeed, but the tour book lists the member by the name of Ibrahim Abdel Khalek.

I get the principle of time, and also that the name Abraham (or before that he was called Abram) was used earlier by the Jews (even though Abraham was from Ur/Mesopotamia).

Yet the person who was in the Hossam Ramzy band was called "Ibrahim", which is a version of the name "Abraham" used by Muslims, not Jews and neither Christians.

I get the principle of time, and also that the name Abraham (or before that he was called Abram) was used earlier by the Jews (even though Abraham was from Ur/Mesopotamia).

Yet the person who was in the Hossam Ramzy band was called "Ibrahim", which is a version of the name "Abraham" used by Muslims, not Jews and neither Christians.

Try again.

• 1 month later...

I prefer spirituality.

Religion divides people.

Religion can bring people together also. So I must take you on regarding your comment. This is a land mine of a subject just like Abortion and polotics. Perhaps we should have had a poll asking if members beiieve in a higher power rather than the specific reigion they belong to?

ps. In my edit I must add that now we have this gay marriage rights thing coming right at us. The election may be affected by it. Right now they say 53 percent are in favor. Up 60 percent from a few months ago. They are attributing it to the Black vote and their siding with Obama. I think it runs much deeper. Gays are coming out of the closet in hoards. . TV shows are based on it. And I believe many people have just thrown in the towel. Personally, I do not care what they do. Go get married if you wish.

Merda taurorum animas conturbit.

"The excrement of bulls disturbs souls / throws souls into confusion"

:rolleyes:That?

BTW :Abraham (Arabic: إبراهيمʾIbrāhīm, pronounced [ʔibraːˈhiːm]) is recognized in Islam as a prophet and apostle of God and patriarch of many peoples. In Muslim belief, Abraham fulfilled all the commandments and trials which God tried him with over his lifetime.

Abraham (Hebrew: אַבְרָהָם (help·info), Modern: Avraham, Tiberian: ʼAḇrāhām, Ashkenazi Avrohom or Avruhom, Arabic: إبراهيمIbrāhīm, Ge'ez:አብርሃም ʼAbrəham, Greek: Aβραάμ, Russian: Авраам), whose birth name was Abram, is the eponym of the Abrahamic religions, among which are Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

^ I was curious about the particular religion. Plus if I just put in "Higher Power" someone would get offended for referring to their religion or deity in a lump with all the others and say something about it or threaten to jihad and we'd have a bigger argument.

^ I was curious about the particular religion. Plus if I just put in "Higher Power" someone would get offended for referring to their religion or deity in a lump with all the others and say something about it or threaten to jihad and we'd have a bigger argument.

This was pointed at LedZeppFan77 but someone else posted while I was typing.

"The excrement of bulls disturbs souls / throws souls into confusion"

:rolleyes:That?

BTW :Abraham (Arabic: إبراهيمʾIbrāhīm, pronounced [ʔibraːˈhiːm]) is recognized in Islam as a prophet and apostle of God and patriarch of many peoples. In Muslimbelief, Abraham fulfilled all the commandments and trials which God tried him with over his lifetime.

Abraham (Hebrew: אַבְרָהָם (help·info), Modern: Avraham, Tiberian: ʼAḇrāhām, AshkenaziAvrohom or Avruhom, Arabic: إبراهيمIbrāhīm, Ge'ez:አብርሃምʼAbrəham, Greek: Aβραάμ, Russian: Авраам), whose birth name was Abram, is the eponym of the Abrahamic religions, among which are Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

Great job there buddy, you made Reswati's point for him.

Archived