Donna Summer, The Queen Of Disco, Dies At 63

According to David Bowie, then in the middle of recording of his Berlin Trilogy with Brian Eno, its impact on the genre's direction was recognized early on:

“One day in Berlin ... Eno came running in and said, 'I have heard the sound of the future.' ... he puts on 'I Feel Love', by Donna Summer ... He said, 'This is it, look no further. This single is going to change the sound of club music for the next fifteen years.' Which was more or less right...

Donna Summer RIP

Never was a fan but she still has my utmost respect. During the summer of 1979, "Hot Stuff" and Segar's "Old Time Rock n' Roll" were in near constant play on the jukebox at our local hangout. Thankfully, there was refuge in the parking lot via cassettes of Blackfoot Strikes and other aural pleasures.

"I Feel Love" was definately one of the most ground breaking songs in pop culture during the 70's & it's legacy remains as Brian Eno predicted. What a voice she had to. I bet more same sex indiscretions happend & children were conceived to "Love To Love You Baby" than any other song in history. A true talent.

This is so sad; what a powerful voice, and a sweet & charming lady too.

I remember one of the things that was so enjoyable about her records was that each single was quite different - from what she had done before as well as what other people were doing in pop music. She was always coming out with something special and musically daring.

Darn charismatic performer too:

Bless you, LaDonna :(

According to David Bowie, then in the middle of recording of his Berlin Trilogy with Brian Eno, its impact on the genre's direction was recognized early on:

“One day in Berlin ... Eno came running in and said, 'I have heard the sound of the future.' ... he puts on 'I Feel Love', by Donna Summer ... He said, 'This is it, look no further. This single is going to change the sound of club music for the next fifteen years.' Which was more or less right...

Donna Summer RIP

Very nice anecdote, Ledy. I was (and still am) a tremendous Eno fan but I had no idea that he had so accurately predicted that about Donna and her dance anthems.

Never was a fan but she still has my utmost respect. During the summer of 1979, "Hot Stuff" and Segar's "Old Time Rock n' Roll" were in near constant play on the jukebox at our local hangout. Thankfully, there was refuge in the parking lot via cassettes of Blackfoot Strikes and other aural pleasures.

To be honest, I wasn't much of a fan either (I was more of a hippie/rock girl) but to relieve the stress of studying, my friends and I would sometimes dress for the velvet ropes and go dancing. Donna's music was in constant play - so much so that it's now a part of my memories of those years.

"I Feel Love" was definately one of the most ground breaking songs in pop culture during the 70's & it's legacy remains as Brian Eno predicted. What a voice she had to. I bet more same sex indiscretions happend & children were conceived to "Love To Love You Baby" than any other song in history. A true talent.

I think so many of Donna's songs were the catalyst for numerous late 1970's indiscretions.

"Dim all the lights sweet darling cause tonight it's all the way."

This is so sad; what a powerful voice, and a sweet & charming lady too.

I remember one of the things that was so enjoyable about her records was that each single was quite different - from what she had done before as well as what other people were doing in pop music. She was always coming out with something special and musically daring.

Darn charismatic performer too

Bless you, LaDonna :(

It is so sad. The words "diva" and "queen", especially when self-proclaimed, have been greatly overused but Donna was truly worthy of those labels. Sweet, charming, charismatic, humble, generous in her support of charities - she was a true Queen.

http://youtu.be/lEV7TrhkZUk

To be honest, I wasn't much of a fan either (I was more of a hippie/rock girl) but to relieve the stress of studying, my friends and I would sometimes dress for the velvet ropes and go dancing. Donna's music was in constant play - so much so that it's now a part of my memories of those years.

"Hot Stuff" and "Old Time Rock n' Roll" became permanently etched in my brain (and not in a good way) due to people pumping fists full of quarters into the jukebox that summer. Again, no disrespect meant towards Donna Summer (or Bob Seger) but that will forever be my lasting memory of her.

"Hot Stuff" and "Old Time Rock n' Roll" became permanently etched in my brain (and not in a good way) due to people pumping fists full of quarters into the jukebox that summer. Again, no disrespect meant towards Donna Summer (or Bob Seger) but that will forever be my lasting memory of her.

I understand that. I have an entire roster of songs that were overplayed to the point that I'd be glad if I never heard any of them again. Ever.

I understand that. I have an entire roster of songs that were overplayed to the point that I'd be glad if I never heard any of them again. Ever.

..and this was well before "Old Time Rock n' Roll" got even more exposure (no pun intended) in Risky Business.

Is this what I have to look forward to these days: all the touchstones and icons of my youth dropping like flies?

I'm still melancholy from the passing of Junior Seau and MCA. Now the Disco Queen herself is gone.

Admittedly most disco was disposable dreck. But there were a few acts(Chic, KC & the Sunshine Band) that I actually liked, and Donna Summer was definitely one of the best. Especially when she hooked up with Giorgio Moroder and did tracks like "Love to Love You Baby" and "I Feel Love", which was all over the place in the summer of 1977.

One of the reasons I was so receptive to that song was that, by then, I was into Krautrock and I could recognize "I Feel Love" as "motorik" adapted for the dance floor. Listen to Neu!'s "Hallogallo" and see if you don't hear the similarities.

Joe Jackson would also adapt motorik in his 1982 tune "Stepping Out" and the whole thing would come full circle in the 90s with the Krautrock enthusiasts Stereolab/Nurse With Wound collaborations.

But back to Donna Summer. I bought every album of hers from 1975's "Love to Love You Baby" to 1979's "Bad Girls"...that's 8 in all, counting the "Thank God It's Friday" soundtrack. Lots of good memories reside in those grooves. Even got a chance to check her out in concert a couple of times.

Now she's gone. It boggles my mind that, for all our technological advances and brain-power, we seem to be no more closer to ending cancer than we were 50 years ago.

I always remember when Love To Love You Baby came out.

They were making such a huge fuss on the news about it.

It was odd because they apparently counted the number of moans in the song, and said she "simulated orgasm X number of times on the recording".

Since when does one moan = one orgasm?

Not in my sexual mathematics, that's for sure.

Never actually bought her albums, but she was so beautiful, and I definitely loved her sexy voice and a lot of her singles, especially Love To Love You Baby, Hot Stuff and She Works Hard For The Money.

RIP Queen of Disco.

Archived