Football chants you have loved

Major Major

Hard as it must be for non-Brits to imagine, our football crowds can be extremely cruel to opposing fans, players & managers. Over the years, I've witnessed chants or songs which have ranged from the amusing to the offensive to the downright stomach-churning.

What favourites do we all have? And can we please focus on the amusing, rather than the offensive?

One of my favs was from the home leg of Cambridge's Blue Square play-off against Stevenage a couple of years ago. To those who don't know, Stevenage is a bit of a dump really - a London over-spill 'New Town', created in the 60s I believe - whereas Cambridge, apart from being an esteemed seat of learning, is also one of the more pleasant places on God's earth. So naturally, many of our chants tend to focus on our intellectual & societal superiority.

Anyway, back to the chant. I've no idea how original it was, but it was the 1st time I'd heard it. It was set to the tune of 'La Donna E Mobile' from Verdi's Rigoletto - a common tune for footy chants, notably a little ditty Man Utd have about Arsene Wenger. But our tune went like this:

'Your mum's on heroin

Your mum's on heroin

Your mum's on heroin

Your mum's on heroin'

Oh Viera Oh Oh

Oh Viera Oh Oh Oh

He Gave Giggs The Ball

And Arsenal Won Fuck all

A song referring to Arsenal cheat Patrick Viera who famously gave our Giggsy the ball in a classic FA cup semi final at Villa Park. In extra time Schmeichel saved a penalty. Then Viera gave the ball away to Giggs who tore through the gooners defence to rifle an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net.

The reds also pipped the gooners to the title by coming from behind against London rivals Spurs 2-1. A comfortable 2-0 against Newcastle in the FA cup final meat an unforgettable climax at The Nou Camp in Barcelona, as the reds again staged the greatest comeback in Champions League history, scoring twice in stoppage time, to beat Bayern Munich 2-1. Prompting wild scenes of jubilation. In our household we spilled out into the village prompting my City neighbour to call me scum !! One of my all time lifetime highlights :thumbsup:

The most important one around these parts:

Yea, Alabama! Drown 'em Tide

Every 'Bama man's behind you;

Hit your stride!

Go teach the Bulldogs to behave

Send the Yellow Jackets to a watery grave!

And if a man starts to weaken,

That's a shame!

For Bama's pluck and grit

Have writ her name in Crimson Flame!

Fight on, fight on, fight on, men!

Remember the Rose Bowl, we'll win then!

Go, roll to victory,

Hit your stride,

You're Dixie's football pride, Cimson Tide!

When Shola Ameobi was introduced as a late sub a couple of years ago - at West Brom, I think - the announcer had a problem with his name and duly tried "Shola Amoeba!!!!!". Within seconds the Toon Army were singing "One cell, he's only got one cell.....". Class.

When Shola Ameobi was introduced as a late sub a couple of years ago - at West Brom, I think - the announcer had a problem with his name and duly tried "Shola Amoeba!!!!!". Within seconds the Toon Army were singing "One cell, he's only got one cell.....". Class.

Quality Knebby, Quality :thumbsup:

To the tune of My Old Man's A Dustman

Oh, Keano's fucking magic

He wears a magic hat

And when he saw Old Trafford

He said, `I fancy that'

He didn't sign for Arsenal

Or Blackburn 'cos they're shite

He signed for Man United

'Cos they're fucking dynamite

Hey ey ey ey

Oh oh oh oh

Lets go Buff a lo o

Lets go Buff a lo o

The Bills make me wanna shout!

They're on the move now

they're on the move now

They've got the spirit yeah

Alot of spirit yeah a

The Bills are happenin now

They're on the move now

The Bills make me wanna SHOUT!!!

Kumbaya......Kumbaya....

Who may talk about....Who may talk about...

Mighty, Mighty Tigers....Mighty, Mighty Tigers...

Sitting along....looking cool and calm...

We got cha...oooh, ahhhh...we got cha, oooh ahhh.

For my 5th grade football team at Machado Elementary.....hmmm... 1968. I was a cheerleader, believe it or not. Of course there were some moves that went along with that little song. :cheer:

I could do a number of anti Liverpool songs - most of them hilarious but incredibly insulting. Don't want to insult Joe, JTM or our newbie Horus 777. Here is a little ditty from my formative years attending Stockport County - If i remember correctly.

Clear Blue Skies

"After the turn of the century

In the clear blue skies over Edgeley

There came a roaring and a thunder like you'd never heard!

Stockport County had scored their third!

On the pitch, the boys in blue

They beat Palace and the West Ham too!

Their fans tried and their fans died

And we buried their dead on the popular side.

Ten, twenty, thirty, fourty, fifty or more

The West Ham fans could take no more

We used our heads and we used our feet

And they ran like fuck down Castle Street!"

Now if I could only remember the tune for the song?? I know how it goes but can't remember the actual tune :(

I could do a number of anti Liverpool songs - most of them hilarious but incredibly insulting. Don't want to insult Joe, JTM or our newbie Horus 777. Here is a little ditty from my formative years attending Stockport County - If i remember correctly.

Clear Blue Skies

"After the turn of the century

In the clear blue skies over Edgeley

There came a roaring and a thunder like you'd never heard!

Stockport County had scored their third!

On the pitch, the boys in blue

They beat Palace and the West Ham too!

Their fans tried and their fans died

And we buried their dead on the popular side.

Ten, twenty, thirty, fourty, fifty or more

The West Ham fans could take no more

We used our heads and we used our feet

And they ran like fuck down Castle Street!"

Now if I could only remember the tune for the song?? I know how it goes but can't remember the actual tune :(

Insult the red shite all you like, I'm an Evertonian !!!!

Archived