US Open Tennis 2012

Reggie29

I'm pulling for Federer or Tsonga to win the mens and Clijsters to win the Womens.

Bingo! That's exactly who I am cheering for, too! Federer and Clijsters.

Two reasons I love the US Open: 1) The atmosphere of the night matches; and 2) The way it leads into the beginning of the NFL season.

I was recently watching some women's matches from the 80's involving Martina, Chris, etc. and I have to say how much more enjoyable women's tennis used to be without all that grunting! You're right, Reggie...she is soooo annoying to watch. Loved it when she got smoked at the Olympics - not much grunting heard that day!

Strider, the night matches is what separates the US Open and the rest of the majors...plus the planes flying overhead and the players waiting for them to pass bye! :)

I was really surprised that Maria Sharapova played for Russia in the Olympics. She's lived in the U.S. for so long she has an American accent.

Roger Federer: beautiful person, beautiful player. And if he wins the U.S. Open, maybe the television commentators will stop talking about him like he's elderly. He's 31! Connors played until he was 40 IIRC.

Roger Federer: beautiful person, beautiful player. And if he wins the U.S. Open, maybe the television commentators will stop talking about him like he's elderly. He's 31! Connors played until he was 40 IIRC.

And maybe journalists will stop asking Robert Plant about a reunion. ;)

In other words, not likely, Fire Opal. Unfortunately. Because Federer is class and deserves better, but the "age angle" is the easy story-line for lazy announcers and journalists.

In light of other things going on in the world it may not mean much, but yes, I am gutted by the early exit of Kim Clijsters from the U.S. Open and her retirement from Tennis. She was always class and fun to watch and now I feel bereft. All of a sudden I have no one on the women's tour to root for.

Maria and the grunters? No thanks.

In light of other things going on in the world it may not mean much, but yes, I am gutted by the early exit of Kim Clijsters from the U.S. Open and her retirement from Tennis. She was always class and fun to watch and now I feel bereft. All of a sudden I have no one on the women's tour to root for.

Maria and the grunters? No thanks.

I feel exactly the same way.

I wish both Roddick and Clijsters all the best post-tennis.

I'm also dissapointed by Tsonga's early exit.

And down goes Roddick.

A gallant effort but off into the sunset he rides.

It looks like it's gonna be Federer and Djokovic. Meanwhile, on the distaff side, Serena and the Grunter are into the Semis.

Earplugs are advised.

I think there should be grief counselors standing by when a beloved tennis great announces their retirement - not for the players (who usually seem very happy and relieved) but for traumatized fans. Steffi Graf leaving the game was wrenching; I remember a lot of her female devotees were especially upset that she was apparently giving up her brilliant career to marry the clearly unworthy Agassi [who has proven himself to be a very worthy guy].

When Federer retires - may it not be for many years, please Lord - it will be very sad.

The same storm that played havoc with the USC-Syracuse game has made a mess of the US Open schedule.

The men's semi between Ferrer and Djokovic was postponed to Sunday, interfering with the NFL games. Worse, the women's final is going head to head with the Packers-49ers game.

At least the men's final will be all alone Monday at 1pm.

Archived