Jimmy Page vs. Brian May-Guitar World poll link

sabelstorm

Everywhere I go, young and old, there's always this hierarchy of fans. If someone only knows 2 or 3 Zepp songs and says s/he's a fan who am I to take that away from them. Same goes for people who type "lolol XD Fr3ddy M3rcury cool moustache trolll awww he die t00 young RIP We Miss You Freddy he's the greatest XD" like this. Why should their shallow enjoyment bother any other "fan"? Isn't that how we all start, as young teenagers, when we get into a band? There are different ways of expressing an appreciation for art, some are serious some are silly. And if Queen wants to post it on their facebook page let them. I'm all for forming our own opinions but I am not for passing any judgments. This is why I was hesitant with posting this poll. I also want to point out that 3 out of the 4 guitar world staff chose Page over May

I just realized now it started with Jimmy Page vs. Robert Johnson. I am laughing my ass off right now it doesn't make sense. and Jeff Beck isn't even in the running :( But i don't care how flawed this reader's poll is I'd still like to see Page or Hendrix take the top spot

That is the reason. That's the same reason Ted Nugent is always excluded from these types of things. And when I want to say gay people I say gay people. I don't talk in code. I'm sure you like everyone else has met these turds who say they are Bob Marley and Queen fans but don't know any songs. It's all about going along to get along. This is PC cool.

So is it a crime to like bohemian raphsody and that you are a fan of Queen, even thou you don't know any other song from them?

It's like stairway and Led Zeppelin. I agree with the Bob Marley thing, specially in my country it really is stupid the amount of people that go around saying they like reggae and only heard marley's I shot the sheriff. It is "PC cool" as you said. And yes Queen has been getting some attencion on the internet, but I can assure you that it has nothing to do with Freddie being gay. And I can't honestly pick one or another from the pool because I love both of their music.

Isn't that what really matters? Enjoy the music and stop paying attencion to these pools, they are always stupid, just like Rolling Stone's 100 greatest guitarists list that had Kurt Cobain in the 11th place.

Cobain doesn't belong. He had one popular album that over time will have been forgotten because the musicianship is not particularly good on it nor is the songwriting. He was a HORRIBLE guitar player

This.But him being a bad guitar player actually worked better for Nirvana i guess.

interesting. i've never really listened to nirvana, don't know if he's a horrible guitar player but i know he isn't one of the greats, as a guitarist. i don't think that one popular album will be forgotten though, deserving or not, as superstatic said, nirvana did have a huge impact on rock music. same goes for the sex pistols.

Cobain doesn't belong. He had one popular album that over time will have been forgotten because the musicianship is not particularly good on it nor is the songwriting. He was a HORRIBLE guitar player

Interesting. You could almost describe the Doors in the same manner. I happen to like a few things by both Nirvana and the Doors...more actually by Nirvana than the Doors...but feel they are both overrated, especially by Rolling Stone magazine and other rock cognescenti.

However, both bands share a certain something that will allow them to linger on long after they should have been forgotten...handsome leaders who offed themselves at the young age of 27. Thus ensuring their allure to doomed romantics forever.

Queen is really really popular with a certain segment of the population because of Fred’s personal lifestyle, and so every critic is now in love with Queen and Queen can do no wrong, and never did any wrong because of it. So now Brian May is beating Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix as the greatest guitar player on these garbage polls. It’s a joke. And no disrespect to Brian, because I think he is a fabulous song writer and guitar player, but he is no Page or Hendrix.

Interesting. You could almost describe the Doors in the same manner. I happen to like a few things by both Nirvana and the Doors...more actually by Nirvana than the Doors...but feel they are both overrated, especially by Rolling Stone magazine and other rock cognescenti.

However, both bands share a certain something that will allow them to linger on long after they should have been forgotten...handsome leaders who offed themselves at the young age of 27. Thus ensuring their allure to doomed romantics forever.

hmmm no, we are talking about guitarists, not singers and cobain as a guitarist was pretty awfull, and robby was really good.

Queen is really really popular with a certain segment of the population because of Fred’s personal lifestyle, and so every critic is now in love with Queen and Queen can do no wrong, and never did any wrong because of it. So now Brian May is beating Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix as the greatest guitar player on these garbage polls. It’s a joke. And no disrespect to Brian, because I think he is a fabulous song writer and guitar player, but he is no Page or Hendrix.

C'mon...that's a little ridiculous. Why are you so obsessed with Freddie's sexuality anyway? I don't know any Queen fan who says "I love Queen because Freddie's gay".

They love Queen for their songs, which got massive airplay over AM radio and in the clubs, which is a segment that Led Zeppelin didn't reach as much. They love Queen because they rocked Live Aid like nobody's business, reinvigorating their popularity. They love Queen for Brian May's signature guitar tone and stately style. They love Queen because Freddie Mercury had a great voice and was one of the greatest frontmen in rock and roll; a true showman. They love Queen for the car scene in "Wayne's World" that introduced a new generation to the joys of singing along to "Bohemian Rhapsody". They love Queen because they constantly toured their homeland...they were very popular in the U.S. but they are massively beloved in the U.K. They love Queen because they play their songs in concert just like on the records! A sizable majority of the public likes to hear the songs in concert the way they are on record.

Oh, and just for the record...being gay is not a 'lifestyle'. You don't choose to be gay; you either are or you're not. It's biologically determined for you.

C'mon...that's a little ridiculous. Why are you so obsessed with Freddie's sexuality anyway? I don't know any Queen fan who says "I love Queen because Freddie's gay".

They love Queen for their songs, which got massive airplay over AM radio and in the clubs, which is a segment that Led Zeppelin didn't reach as much. They love Queen because they rocked Live Aid like nobody's business, reinvigorating their popularity. They love Queen for Brian May's signature guitar tone and stately style. They love Queen because Freddie Mercury had a great voice and was one of the greatest frontmen in rock and roll; a true showman. They love Queen for the car scene in "Wayne's World" that introduced a new generation to the joys of singing along to "Bohemian Rhapsody". They love Queen because they constantly toured their homeland...they were very popular in the U.S. but they are massively beloved in the U.K. They love Queen because they play their songs in concert just like on the records! A sizable majority of the public likes to hear the songs in concert the way they are on record.

Oh, and just for the record...being gay is not a 'lifestyle'. You don't choose to be gay; you either are or you're not. It's biologically determined for you.

I'm a fan of Queen, and have been very many years, but in the last 20 years Queen has been accepted in way that seems beyond the music - American Idol seems to indicate that to me anyways and the fact someone would actually believe that Brian May (Who is a GREAT guitar player) is beyond Jimmy Page or Jimi Hendrix or Jeff Beck; well that is laughable and I find it odd that May is actually winning these "polls"...Anyways all the power to the personality cult that is now Queen. Like I said, I'm a fan of the band as well including Fred

^^^

I think the fact that May is winning the poll is more due to the fact that Queen posted it to their Facebook page, and maybe Quuen's fans are more organized as a group and successful as a large voting bloc.

I don't know about you, but most of the people in my life(Zep fans and non-Zep fans alike) that I mentioned this poll to either 1) couldn't be bothered to vote; or 2) couldn't be bothered to care one way or another.

Then, there were the people who had never even heard of Guitar World.

Don't worry...this poll, and others, will come and go and still have no impact on the general consensus that Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page are a cut above Brian May, great as he is.

Archived