Howdy and Thank You

Dallas Knebs

been a forum watcher since near the beginning and steady once the O2 was announced... never really thought about registering until late summer of this year. Thank you to everyone on the boards for contributing and building such a wonderful community. I regret not registering and telling each of you before now.

I live in North Texas, am a husband/father/businessman and love life and living. Piano since 5 yrs, guitar since 19 when I discovered guitar = girls. Piano = fewer prospects. Can play nearly any instrument except woodwinds. Teaching myself violin at the moment, about 3yrs into the 10yr project. Somewhat diverse musically/art. Spent some time in and out of studios especially before the responsibilities of life.

Grew up in North East Oklahoma near Tulsa and my first concert was Heart in '75. My older sister sang back up at the Cain's ballroom for JJ Cale and everyone that came thru there. She and Marcella Levy are buds. I liked when Clapton came to town which was often in the mid/late 70s he always sat in with JJ and he was fantastic as just a guy in the band playing boogie stuff. I did meet him several occasions and really he was nice to everyone there. I set up chairs for the most part. The house band at the Cain's was better than most anything I can hear live now, did not know it at the time how good I had it.

In 1979 (17yrs) I traveled with family to the UK to meet and visit with mom's sister and cousins I had never met. My aunt and her family lived in Ware and I was told we were going to a festival, I thought she meant like a mideveal fair with jousting and hogs legs etc. Great I thought- British babes dressed up and ready for a Yankee around the maypole.

We drive up to Knebworth House and I am in awe of the place- we don't have those in Tulsa- and we went to work. I was so pissed. Unpacked trucks, carried chairs, moved countless bags, barrels and water hoses. For three days, hardly any food. Brits don't snack. They explained to me that each year "we" help set up at festival.

I did get up on the platform once helping to move a case up a ramp. Don't remember much except how high above the ground it was. It means something to me now since one of the guys I saw on the platform was Andy Ledbetter. Didn't know it until we crossed paths here on the boards. Didn't meet anyone else, no band members just techs and other workers. I remember the bogs. That was awful. I remember the smell of the crowd too. Unidentifiable not really a stench but... .

We did get to see some of the music both weekends. Missed Keith Richards- awwwww shucks, not. Did not see all of Led Zeppelin the first weekend, we had to leave to go see the Peak District. Saw all of Led Zeppelin the second weekend. I can still hear it. What I heard is this: I heard the sound of the energy when LZ played.

My first music teacher taught me that the real instrument we play is our heart. The sound comes from the instrument, but the music comes from the heart. When my teacher would play I would get a lump in my throat and struggle to breathe it had such an impact. He was the choir director at a church in Tulsa until he died a few years ago. The only time I have had that experience since as a kid I heard Lyle play was a few times during Led Zeppelin that night. It happened during a guitar solo and during an organ solo.

Sometimes I find their music medicinal and healing, other times motivational. I enjoy listening to many so called artists, LZ just occupies a singular space musically. LZ is a bigger value to me know than they were earlier, I appreciate them more.

I am on the boards because I enjoy the member perspectives and commonality. The excitement and feeling here during the run up to the O2 and the after glow is amazing to me. Additionally, the boards are well run by the mods and informal leaders. In short, it is time well spent to be here.

Thank you for having me.

been a forum watcher since near the beginning and steady once the O2 was announced... never really thought about registering until late summer of this year. Thank you to everyone on the boards for contributing and building such a wonderful community. I regret not registering and telling each of you before now.

I live in North Texas, am a husband/father/businessman and love life and living. Piano since 5 yrs, guitar since 19 when I discovered guitar = girls. Piano = fewer prospects. Can play nearly any instrument except woodwinds. Teaching myself violin at the moment, about 3yrs into the 10yr project. Somewhat diverse musically/art. Spent some time in and out of studios especially before the responsibilities of life.

Grew up in North East Oklahoma near Tulsa and my first concert was Heart in '75. My older sister sang back up at the Cain's ballroom for JJ Cale and everyone that came thru there. She and Marcella Levy are buds. I liked when Clapton came to town which was often in the mid/late 70s he always sat in with JJ and he was fantastic as just a guy in the band playing boogie stuff. I did meet him several occasions and really he was nice to everyone there. I set up chairs for the most part. The house band at the Cain's was better than most anything I can hear live now, did not know it at the time how good I had it.

In 1979 (17yrs) I traveled with family to the UK to meet and visit with mom's sister and cousins I had never met. My aunt and her family lived in Ware and I was told we were going to a festival, I thought she meant like a mideveal fair with jousting and hogs legs etc. Great I thought- British babes dressed up and ready for a Yankee around the maypole.

We drive up to Knebworth House and I am in awe of the place- we don't have those in Tulsa- and we went to work. I was so pissed. Unpacked trucks, carried chairs, moved countless bags, barrels and water hoses. For three days, hardly any food. Brits don't snack. They explained to me that each year "we" help set up at festival.

I did get up on the platform once helping to move a case up a ramp. Don't remember much except how high above the ground it was. It means something to me now since one of the guys I saw on the platform was Andy Ledbetter. Didn't know it until we crossed paths here on the boards. Didn't meet anyone else, no band members just techs and other workers. I remember the bogs. That was awful. I remember the smell of the crowd too. Unidentifiable not really a stench but... .

We did get to see some of the music both weekends. Missed Keith Richards- awwwww shucks, not. Did not see all of Led Zeppelin the first weekend, we had to leave to go see the Peak District. Saw all of Led Zeppelin the second weekend. I can still hear it. What I heard is this: I heard the sound of the energy when LZ played.

My first music teacher taught me that the real instrument we play is our heart. The sound comes from the instrument, but the music comes from the heart. When my teacher would play I would get a lump in my throat and struggle to breathe it had such an impact. He was the choir director at a church in Tulsa until he died a few years ago. The only time I have had that experience since as a kid I heard Lyle play was a few times during Led Zeppelin that night. It happened during a guitar solo and during an organ solo.

Sometimes I find their music medicinal and healing, other times motivational. I enjoy listening to many so called artists, LZ just occupies a singular space musically. LZ is a bigger value to me know than they were earlier, I appreciate them more.

I am on the boards because I enjoy the member perspectives and commonality. The excitement and feeling here during the run up to the O2 and the after glow is amazing to me. Additionally, the boards are well run by the mods and informal leaders. In short, it is time well spent to be here.

Thank you for having me.

HI! I live in NE Oklahoma near Tulsa! I actually live on Grand Lake. Small world isn't it? Amazing story. I saw Clapton about 2 years ago when he came to Tulsa & it was good. Roger Daltrey opened for him. Well, we are glad to have you here.I hope you enjoy it. ;)

Welcome and wow! I live in Madison, WI and have love Led Zeppelin since I was a litlle kid. My boyfriend lives near Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas and swears there are few if any LedHeads in Texas. He says he never hears LZ on the radio, no stations have a "Get the Led Out" time every day like we do, on and on. I'm going for my first visit next month and will be bringing my own emergency stash of LZ, just in case. Good to know you're out there! Rock on and God Bless from the Mad City!

thank you for the kind replies and welcomes...

MINI_Zoso we need to exchange motorsports photos maybe ya? I rebuild GTO's and 442s for a hobby (used to ride motocross and flat track- realized my body has limits so... no more insane jumps, also responsible for my own medical bills) ...now just insane 1/4mile times :running:

thank you for the kind replies and welcomes...

MINI_Zoso we need to exchange motorsports photos maybe ya? I rebuild GTO's and 442s for a hobby (used to ride motocross and flat track- realized my body has limits so... no more insane jumps, also responsible for my own medical bills) ...now just insane 1/4mile times :running:

I had a 1968 Camaro in high school and then me and my dad restored a 1972 Chevelle SS - we built a 400 small block for it.

I loved this part of your note. (I feel that way when I hear "Over the Hills..." Can only imagine their music live.)

Thank you for having me.

Hi and welcome. Ill take you at your word that you were able to read for so long and not register or post? So you learned the guitar to catch women? Ha. Alot of women like piano players too. I started on piano when I was 9 and picked up a guitar at 17. I thought at the time it was a late start. But its always helpful to learn the piano first. It makes it easier to learn the guitar. You can transfer your knowledge of reading and playing chords and lead from piano to guitarl. The piano of course is in alphabetical order. I would always picture in my head when learning the guitar their is only a half step between b and c and e and f, and using this to play bars as well. Sometimes I wish I had a nice Yamaha piano.

What a great introduction. Glad you finally decided to join in.. Welcome.

thank you, it is the best forum board I know of- from the people to the mods to the content. Time well spent here. I learn a great deal here.

But its always helpful to learn the piano first. It makes it easier to learn the guitar.

yes I learned guitar to hopefully get more attention and time with the ladies during college... and piano made learning guitar a snap. I still play every night. Nearly a guitar in every room at home.

Archived