Who gave Jimmy guitar lessons?

#1fan

John Mclaughlin gave him harmony and theory lessons. As far as actual guitar lessons, I don't know.

Jimmy Page gave interview in Musician magazine, I believe in 1990, where he said that McLaughlin showed him a few pointers early on. He didn't really expand on that topic much though. I'll try to find the magazine & get the excerpt.

Musician: John McLaughlin gave you guitar lessons?

Jimmy Page: He did, that's true. It was great. He could hear things which I couldn't hear. He certainly taught me a lot about chord progressions and things like that. He's fabulous. He was so fluent and so far ahead, way out there, and I learned a hell of a lot. I must have been about 20.

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/12459-john-mclaughlin-and-jimmy-page/

Jimmy Page gave interview in Musician magazine, I believe in 1990, where he said that McLaughlin showed him a few pointers early on. He didn't really expand on that topic much though. I'll try to find the magazine & get the excerpt.

Musician: John McLaughlin gave you guitar lessons?

Jimmy Page: He did, that's true. It was great. He could hear things which I couldn't hear. He certainly taught me a lot about chord progressions and things like that. He's fabulous. He was so fluent and so far ahead, way out there, and I learned a hell of a lot. I must have been about 20.

http://forums.ledzep...and-jimmy-page/

I remember that interview. I still have my copy of the magazine too...

He

In the you tube clip from 57 he says he learned from a teacher.

I don't remember that. I do know in IMGL, he says that someone he knew at school that had a guitar offered to teach him. Other than that Jimmy has always said he was mainly self taught.

He

I don't remember that. I do know in IMGL, he says that someone he knew at school that had a guitar offered to teach him. Other than that Jimmy has always said he was mainly self taught.

Watch the clip he says it lol

• 3 months later...

The latest issue of Hittin' the Note (issue 75) music magazine that features the Allman Brothers band, like-minded and related bands and roots music has an interview with John McLaughlin.

The article reads ...it was during this period where McLaughlin tutored a young Jimmy Page guitar techniques. "I was 18, he was 17," he says. "We were nobodies. It was just shortly after that we met again when we started to do a lot of pop sessions in the 60s. I used to also play with John Paul Jones. We were in an R&B band together and I used to give him harmony lessons. We all used to do these pop recording sessions because that's how they used to do them in those days- everybody was in the studio...."

That would have been something to hear Page and McLaughlin playing together . I would give Page credit for continuing to hone his craft . I'm guessing a lot ofplayers learn from each other. Mclaughlin influenced Jeff Beck didn't he? Now I learn JPJ also played and learned from McLaughlin .

Jimmy said Ravi Shankar showed him some sitar tunings long before George Harrison.

Actually, what Jimmy said was he owned a sitar before George Harrison. He has also said that soonafter he asked his father to invite an Indian co-worker to their home to show him basic sitar chords. Jimmy did attend a Ravi Shankar concert with a girl who was a friend of Shankar, and when they met after the show Shankar wrote down some sitar chords for him.

Archived