New Ginger Baker documentary

There is a new documentary about Ginger Baker that I want to see. It won best documentary at South By Southwest:

http://movies.nytime...nger-baker.html

http://www.nytimes.c...nger-baker.html

This looks interesting to me, a fan of that era, band, and musician. Baker claims Bonham and Moon, if alive, would say he is the better drummer, which I doubt. But for me it's not an either/or thing. I love Ginger Baker, and other drummers. Bonham is my favorite, and Neil Peart, Terry Bozzio, Keith Moon, and Bill Bruford round out my top five.

I also love Stewart Copeland, Dave Grohl, Tony Williams, Danny Carey, Steve Gadd, Lars Ulrich, Jack DeJohnette, Mitch Mitchell, John Stanier, Billy Cobham, and Art Blakey.

So Ginger Baker is an opinionated crank. I kinda like him that way. Bonham is the greater drummer, but I can say as a musician and a drummer back in the day that Disraeli Gears and Wheels of Fire totally blew me away.

In The Light since 1972

Trampled Under Foot. My life with Led Zeppelin.

http://petedelorean.tumblr.com/

Small item in Classic Rock magazine

A proposed Cream reunion has been cancelled after the latest internal argument. The trio had been considering a tour in 2013 but bassist/vocalist Jack Bruce told the BBC." I think that ginger upset Eric this time so it's not happening"

"Rather than keeping the beat, Mr. Baker opened it up, adding layers and nuances without sacrificing his innate, unerring sense of time. He was wilder than steady rhythm players like Charlie Watts, and also far more disciplined and subtle than showboating wild men like Moon and Bonham."

What bullshit!

John Bonham was NOT a showboating wild man... Keith Moon showboated but it was always extremely musical...

He's a great Drummer, he was influential. A friend of mine just yesterday told me that Ginger Baker learned to read music in 2 weeks...very impressive.

But, I'm so sick of this ornery bitter old man staking his claim by shitting on other greats.... especially other greats who are gone and can't respond ...

He is playing in the Opera House in Buxton next year. Ginger Baker Jazz Confusion:

They once voted Ginger Baker as ‘the musician least likely to survive the 60s’.

Now, four and a bit decades later, Ginger proved them all wrong, returned to the UK and formed a formidable quartet with funk and jazz giant Pee Wee Ellis, tenor sax, Alec Dankworth, bass, and Abass Dodoo, percussion.

The music is a healthy mix of Thelonius Monk, Wayne Shorter, Sonny Rollins, plus originals of Pee Wee Ellis and Mr. Baker, with Ginger Baker and Ghanaian percussionist Abass Dodoo providing a perfect powerhouse of rhythms in this challenging and fresh sounding programme!

£16, £18

Anyone know if this will be worth the 10 minutes drive up the road?

He is playing in the Opera House in Buxton next year. Ginger Baker Jazz Confusion:

They once voted Ginger Baker as ‘the musician least likely to survive the 60s’.

Now, four and a bit decades later, Ginger proved them all wrong, returned to the UK and formed a formidable quartet with funk and jazz giant Pee Wee Ellis, tenor sax, Alec Dankworth, bass, and Abass Dodoo, percussion.

The music is a healthy mix of Thelonius Monk, Wayne Shorter, Sonny Rollins, plus originals of Pee Wee Ellis and Mr. Baker, with Ginger Baker and Ghanaian percussionist Abass Dodoo providing a perfect powerhouse of rhythms in this challenging and fresh sounding programme!

£16, £18

Anyone know if this will be worth the 10 minutes drive up the road?

I'm sure musically it would be worth the drive.

But I can say as a musician and a drummer back in the day that Disraeli Gears and Wheels of Fire totally blew me away.

Yep, I was there too and saw them many times at the old Fillmore in SF. 'Toad' always blew me away. :^)

Yep, I was there too and saw them many times at the old Fillmore in SF. 'Toad' always blew me away. :^)

Crazy. I have spent time in Enumclaw, and Issaquah (sp.?). One of my closest friends from Arizona was from there and I went there to visit him in the 90's.

I drank a lot of Rainier beer and discovered KNCU.

Peace.

In The Light since 1972.l

Crazy. I have spent time in Enumclaw, and Issaquah (sp.?). One of my closest friends from Arizona was from there and I went there to visit him in the 90's.

I drank a lot of Rainier beer and discovered KNCU.

Peace.

In The Light since 1972.l

Cool! Yeah, Enumclaw is quite the change after living in the bay area for almost 50 years.

I love it here but just wish the summers were a little longer and the winters a lot shorter. :^)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great pics of the kit and the man,thanks redrum!

You're welcome.

He's got a Facebook page too with tons of old pics.

Despite his 'crankiness' I loved the documentary on him. He says: 'If you have a problem with me, punch me in the nose. I won't sue you, I'll punch you back!' :lol: Right on, Ginger. No PC man him.

The film was an eye opener for me as I never knew much about him before or after The Cream broke up.

post-503-0-78833200-1392083861_thumb.jpg

Sometimes I think Ginger would have made a scary Hells Angel. ^_^

:D I'm not so sure GB would've wanted to be a member of a group that would've accepted him.

(Thanks,Groucho Marx)

A good shot of Ginger. Damn, I wish I'd been into photography back then.

Why's that?

Very nice pics.

:D I'm not so sure GB would've wanted to be a member of a group that would've accepted him.

(Thanks,Groucho Marx)

Why's that?

Very nice pics.

The thing was (at least back then) he had the attitude to be a Hells Angel. They were so damned scary back then. We saw many of them in Golden Gate Park in SF and they created quite a bit of trouble.

I saw Cream a bunch of times back then and if I'd had a camera I could have gotten lots of what are now considered to be classic photos. My best one I think is of Robin Trower at Winterland in 1974. But by this time the Cream and Hendrix were long gone.

post-503-0-24309400-1392428871_thumb.jpg

Yeah,if you've seen some of the interviews posted from Ginger's FB Page that were done last year he basically still retains that attitude and leaves the interviewers broken and searching for a question,any question? that will be answered to their satisfaction. :tears:

I saw Cream a bunch of times back then and if I'd had a camera I could have gotten lots of what are now considered to be classic photos. My best one I think is of Robin Trower at Winterland in 1974. But by this time the Cream and Hendrix were long gone.

Hard luck,that's another good pic.

Archived