So Jimmy, John, and Jason where rehearsing Carouselambra......

It is almost the biggest crime in the universe to know that John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page have actually come up with musical ideas and perhaps may have recorded some rough ideas or some general musical direction and we have yet to hear it. I almost want to cry. To hear Page and Jones recording new music together would be just so exciting. It must come together!

So JPJ states he and Jimmy couldn't agree on singers, yet Steven Tyler says Jimmy offered him the job.......somethings not right! I'm thinking it was all meant to be practice in hopes Bob came in through the out door.Was Tyler lying? Did Jimmy just want Robert or nothing?

Mudslider, I think Jimmy's lack of output has always been because of his never ending detachment from Robert. I bet if say, Coverdale/Page took off, and the tour was selling out, and Robert called to do the unplugged show, Jimmy would have unplugged with Coverdale. I don't always get some of Robert's decisions, but the man has been a creative force. And even JPJ has done so many diverse things away from the Zep shadow. Jimmy's baby will always be his driving persona. I will always support them, but to me, some things don't happen for the right reasons.

I find it a bit odd that no one has brought up the possibility of them doing an instrumental album and going on tour that way. No one who had the opportunity to ask them ever brought this up, if they ever discussed it. Jimmy has recorded a number of instrumentals and Jones did on 2 albums and toured successfully. I caught him on the Zooma tour and no one went home dissapointed; it was fantastic. So why not?

So JPJ states he and Jimmy couldn't agree on singers, yet Steven Tyler says Jimmy offered him the job.......somethings not right! I'm thinking it was all meant to be practice in hopes Bob came in through the out door.Was Tyler lying? Did Jimmy just want Robert or nothing?

According the the accounts of both Ross Halfin and Mick Wall, yes, Tyler lied. He was never offered the job.

• 4 weeks later...

My dog howling in the backyard sounds better than Steven Tyler. Tyler has one of the most annoying voices in rock music.

I like Steven Tyler's voice. However, I can see why the guys might not want to work with him...sometimes he comes across as being several sandwiches short of a picnic. Anything Tyler says I would take with a grain of salt especially where LZ is concerned...

Thanks for posting this. Carouselambra is a song which hasn't got the credit it richly deserves. It has the power of many of Zep's classics and only needed a few live performances to cement it as a true classic, IMO.

Archived