Favorite song and why?

dannyblunts

wondering what everyones favorite song from led zep is and a reason to go with it. in my opinion its ten years gone. cant seem to get this song outta my head. i had a good friend of mine named cory commit suicide july last year, and this song reminds me so much of em. good kid too, rest in peace to his soul. he was a big led zep fan just like me. keep in mind were both born in 96 haha, so i was born in the wrong generation i guess. but yeah, not tryin to ramble about shit, 10 years gone. discuss?

Oh wow I'm so sorry about your friend... suicide is probably the worst way to lose someone. Ten Years Gone is my favourite LZ song too, due mainly to sentimental value.

And age doesn't have anything to do with being a Led Zepp fan; I'm 16 myself. You occasionally get a middle aged man with a large beard and a beer gut who tells you that you dont REALLY like Led Zeppelin, but literally 97% of people I've met are absolutely wonderful about it and find it refreshing to find a young person so into classic rock.

So many really. But if I had to pick one I'd say The Rain song: it has Plant's best lyrics married to Page's best composition and manages to be both melancholic and hopeful at the same time; it really hits a (bitter) sweet spot.

Nancy Wilson from Heart expresses it better than I, "The Rain Song achieves a perfect balance between lyrics and music and between acoustic and electric. It has always struck a deep chord in me concerning the cyclical nature of life. Upon us all, a little rain must fall."

"Rock and Roll" - Not just my favortie Zeppelin song, my favorite rock song PERIOD! From the thundering drum intro by Bonham, through the quirkiest Page guitar solo that even guitar instructors have a hard time figuring out, add in Jonesy's understated bass runs, Plant's wails and screams and Ian Stewart's boogie woogie piano - it is just the perfect song. A nod to the 50's humble beginnings of rock and roll, the song is best described by me as "Chuck Berry on steroids".

The studio version is my favortie, but for a live version, the Aussie '72 versions are hard to beat.

I really can't pick just one; it's too hard! "The Rain Song" used to be my break-up song. I would play it after I broke up with someone and sit and cry :tears:....lol! As far as top favorites, I would have to say at this moment: The Rain Song (obviously), Over The Hills and Far Away, Tangerine, That's the Way, Ten Years Gone, Wearing and Tearing, No Quarter, Gallows Pole, Bring it on Home, In the Light, Down By the Seaside, Night Flight, Hey Hey What Can I Do, In the Evening, I'm Gonna Crawl, Darlene.

Ringht now my favourite is probably OTHAFA, all versions of it. It's just such a happy sounding song.

Definitely my secound favourite, my #1 being 'Achilles' Last Stand'. The intensity and the drama of that song is completely unparalleled.

1 - You Shook Me

2 - Bring It On Home

3 - Celebration Day

4 - Rock-n-Roll

HOH - No Quarter

PG - Kashmir

Pres - NBFBM

ITTOD - Fool In The Rain

CODA - ICQYB, Poor Tom as "new song"

Overall.. right now I'm going Nobody's Fault But Mine, as my friend calls it, Led Zeppelin's Song of Accountability

Right now my favourite is probably OTHAFA, all versions of it. It's just such a happy sounding song.

Definitely my secound favourite, my #1 being 'Achilles' Last Stand'. The intensity and the drama of that song is completely unparalleled.

Posted about this on another thread, but OTHAFA was (and still is) my first love. I have a lot of favorites that come very close (ALS being one of them), but I think that OTHAFA will always remain #1. The guitar hooked me first, but over time I've also come to appreciate just how brilliant Robert's lyrics are. Love all of the contrasts - the message is at once romantic and cynical, adventurous and pondering, joyous and melancholy, etc. The way this is reflected and executed in the instrumentation/scoring/performances is a thing of sheer beauty.

And you're right, JLee. Bottom line is that OTHAFA just takes me to a happy place - whether it be rocking out or chilling out. It's the epitome of many things I admire about Zeppelin's music.

• 2 weeks later...

I love all Led Zeppelin songs but I had all the studio albums and when I got Coda I thought I had the lot , like my friends , but then in a record a shop I saw a US version of the Immigrant Song single...I flipped it and found Hey Hey What Can I Do a track none of "friends ...pun intended" had or had even heard ,,, I owned something special (well before the remastered box set)

like a silly git played it to death great toon

Archived