School holidays

slave to zep

here in australia the kids ( and teachers ) get approx 12 weeks holiday, every weekend and public holiday off.

my question is : WHY?

why do they need this much time off? especially the older ones, in their last two years of school. perhaps let them have a few weeks less as they get older and/or make their day a bit longer.

i think it would really help a lot of kids, not to mention the parents!

my son, who is 12, just had 2 weeks holiday. you would think he would return to school on monday, right? WRONG. he returns on the wednesday, so the teachers can have TWO MORE days to ... um, who knows.....

i'm not bagging teachers, i know they ( most ) do a great job. but i really think that 12 weeks should be enough time to do their courses/have their meetings/whatever else.

i have listened to the argument that they have to do pre - class prep, after class marking ... ok, so why not actually have them clock on and off at school - do 9 hours like most other jobs, and do it IN THE CLASSROOM, not at home. i bet they would get it all done, and more.

do they think about working parents? who is going to watch these kids?

even if my husband and i took separate holidays, we would still be short about 5 weeks ....

something needs to change.

anyone agree?

i hope i do not offend anyone, not my intention. i am worried out my/our kids.

I once drove to my daughter's school anticipating an answer to your very question. Back then I was a big Foreigner/Styx fan so I jammed them along the way.
Without knocking, I opened the door to the principal's office and walked in with paper and pen just in case I needed to take notes. The old woman looked at me and so did the kid sitting across from her.
As they paused what they were doing, I could not tell if the principal's hand was actually touching the strange black object on her desk, or just hovering above it. However, she was definitely touching that little boy's head with her other hand. I was going to object when the principal snapped, "Sit down, young man!"
So I sat down, and to this day I swear that black object on the desk rotated ever so slightly when I obeyed. Like it was aware. After that things got hazy, never did figure out their schedule and I didn't really like Styx much anymore. Mr. Roboto? Seriously??

Teaching is a mentally draining job; particularly if you do it well. Learning isn't always a walk in the park either. It requires that kids pay attention, listen carefully, take notes, etc. Kids can only maintain that level of attention for so long. Teachers and pupils both need the occasional break from the process and one from one another. Oh, and one more thing: The purpose of school is to educate kids; not to provide their parents with free child care. I'm American and if I had my druthers our government would insure that all children have quality pre-school and after school programs. This would benefit both children and their parents. But that's different from increasing instructional time just to accommodate parents' schedules.

Teaching is a mentally draining job; particularly if you do it well. Learning isn't always a walk in the park either. It requires that kids pay attention, listen carefully, take notes, etc. Kids can only maintain that level of attention for so long. Teachers and pupils both need the occasional break from the process and one from one another. Oh, and one more thing: The purpose of school is to educate kids; not to provide their parents with free child care. I'm American and if I had my druthers our government would insure that all children have quality pre-school and after school programs. This would benefit both children and their parents. But that's different from increasing instructional time just to accommodate parents' schedules.

i agree that it is a challenging job, and some do it really well. my kids have had a pretty good experience, so far.

if you think i said what i did because i am looking for a babysitter situation, you are very wrong. that is not what i am trying to get across at all. :(

i have never used free child care - in fact when they were young, i gave up work and stayed home with my kids, and took in other kids around town!

i don't see anything wrong with getting teachers to spend their day at the school doing the prep and marking. i'm sure that most have good intentions to sit down and do lots of work at home, but surely they would be more productive and accountable at work? too many distractions at home. imo.

as for the kids, i would be more than happy for my kids to do an extra hour at the school each day when they get older, as i said in the last few years of school, to prepare them.

i worry about all the kids who are left home alone these days.

i agree that it is a challenging job, and some do it really well. my kids have had a pretty good experience, so far.

if you think i said what i did because i am looking for a babysitter situation, you are very wrong. that is not what i am trying to get across at all. :(

i have never used free child care - in fact when they were young, i gave up work and stayed home with my kids, and took in other kids around town!

i don't see anything wrong with getting teachers to spend their day at the school doing the prep and marking. i'm sure that most have good intentions to sit down and do lots of work at home, but surely they would be more productive and accountable at work? too many distractions at home. imo.

as for the kids, i would be more than happy for my kids to do an extra hour at the school each day when they get older, as i said in the last few years of school, to prepare them.

i worry about all the kids who are left home alone these days.

Even if the teachers had to do their classroom prep and grading on the school premises, schools would still have to let the kids out at the same time. Good teaching requires a teacher's full attention; she can't do it while also planning lessons or marking. Also, I don't know how things work in Australia, but in the U.S. there is a fair amount of paperwork involved in teaching; at least in public schools. In the U.S. most public school teachers have a planning period every day where they can do lesson planning or paperwork. However, most teachers I know will tell you that the planning period often isn't enough time. So they either stay late after the kids leave to finish it or take the work home.

I think summer 'vacation' here in the USA should be eliminated. Only take off for major holidays.

My teenage niece and nephew would not like this. Neither would my school librarian aunt. I think you can make the argument that summer vacation in the USA is too long. Maybe kids and teachers could get by with only 6 weeks instead of 12. But eliminate it altogether? Not a good idea in my opinion.

I once drove to my daughter's school anticipating an answer to your very question. Back then I was a big Foreigner/Styx fan so I jammed them along the way.
Without knocking, I opened the door to the principal's office and walked in with paper and pen just in case I needed to take notes. The old woman looked at me and so did the kid sitting across from her.
As they paused what they were doing, I could not tell if the principal's hand was actually touching the strange black object on her desk, or just hovering above it. However, she was definitely touching that little boy's head with her other hand. I was going to object when the principal snapped, "Sit down, young man!"
So I sat down, and to this day I swear that black object on the desk rotated ever so slightly when I obeyed. Like it was aware. After that things got hazy, never did figure out their schedule and I didn't really like Styx much anymore. Mr. Roboto? Seriously??

:blink:

I think summer 'vacation' here in the USA should be eliminated. Only take off for major holidays.

That's a one way ticket to disaster. Kids already get bombed with tests and other things as it is. Education needs a reform, certainly, but making things longer is not the answer.

Even if the teachers had to do their classroom prep and grading on the school premises, schools would still have to let the kids out at the same time. Good teaching requires a teacher's full attention; she can't do it while also planning lessons or marking. Also, I don't know how things work in Australia, but in the U.S. there is a fair amount of paperwork involved in teaching; at least in public schools. In the U.S. most public school teachers have a planning period every day where they can do lesson planning or paperwork. However, most teachers I know will tell you that the planning period often isn't enough time. So they either stay late after the kids leave to finish it or take the work home.

yes, that's what i meant. have the teachers stay at school for a full 9 hour day. :)

That's a one way ticket to disaster. Kids already get bombed with tests and other things as it is. Education needs a reform, certainly, but making things longer is not the answer.

our longest break is from just before christmas, and then the whole of january. i think it's too long.

the argument has been that it is the hottest month here, but do you know what? february is usually just as bed, and anyway the schools are mostly air-conditioned now, where as a lot of private homes aren't, ( mine isn't ), and in actual fact a lot of kids would be better off out of the heat inside the classroom.

i think 3 weeks then, and then 3 more 2 week stints throughout the year is more than enough for the kids. don't forget there is still every weekend, and i think 4 public holidays as well.

for the teachers, give them the 3 weeks at the start, then and then another 1 or maybe 2 stints of 2 weeks , and then the rest of the time is time without students to attend meetings. no more pupil-free days!

As they paused what they were doing, I could not tell if the principal's hand was actually touching the strange black object on her desk, or just hovering above it. However, she was definitely touching that little boy's head with her other hand.

:blink:

I was thinking the same thing.

me too.

Come on guys :wakeup: this is a Led Zeppelin forum, after all:p

post-19994-0-31941800-1367011834_thumb.j

yes, that's what i meant. have the teachers stay at school for a full 9 hour day. :)

The teachers at my son's school mostly work 10 hour days, plus take work home with them. But that is a very successful Charter School, so they have less support than the "regular" public schools.

OH i see! oh man, i missed that one! lol

good one redirtuo!

And well done pagesbow for being alert, you missed that bit out:P

But yeah, sure where Mr. Roboto come in though....some one else can try and decipher that

In regard to the original question: I think school should better reflect what kids are likely to face when they get a job i.e four weeks holiday instead of twelve. Let's face it though, teachers whinge enough now so imagine what they would be like with less holidays? they'd be on strike within minutes.

our longest break is from just before christmas, and then the whole of january. i think it's too long.

the argument has been that it is the hottest month here, but do you know what? february is usually just as bed, and anyway the schools are mostly air-conditioned now, where as a lot of private homes aren't, ( mine isn't ), and in actual fact a lot of kids would be better off out of the heat inside the classroom.

i think 3 weeks then, and then 3 more 2 week stints throughout the year is more than enough for the kids. don't forget there is still every weekend, and i think 4 public holidays as well.

for the teachers, give them the 3 weeks at the start, then and then another 1 or maybe 2 stints of 2 weeks , and then the rest of the time is time without students to attend meetings. no more pupil-free days!

It really is beginning to sound like you are looking for more child care with that last statement. Your school calendar looks to be a bit different than what we have over here, so I really don't have a full grasp of what your complaint is. Here in the U.S., calendars do vary from state to state, but there is usually a 10 week summer break, a week for Spring Break, two weeks for Christmas/New Years, a half week for Thanksgiving and about 5 national holidays. My son's school day is 8 - 3, with teachers usually there from 7 - 5 for duties, tutoring, meetings, etc.

But yeah, sure where Mr. Roboto come in though....some one else can try and decipher that

In regard to the original question: I think school should better reflect what kids are likely to face when they get a job i.e four weeks holiday instead of twelve. Let's face it though, teachers whinge enough now so imagine what they would be like with less holidays? they'd be on strike within minutes.

What an ego, reminds me of someone...oh never mind.

Are you a teacher?

oops, sorry about that! yes, well done! :)

It really is beginning to sound like you are looking for more child care with that last statement. Your school calendar looks to be a bit different than what we have over here, so I really don't have a full grasp of what your complaint is. Here in the U.S., calendars do vary from state to state, but there is usually a 10 week summer break, a week for Spring Break, two weeks for Christmas/New Years, a half week for Thanksgiving and about 5 national holidays. My son's school day is 8 - 3, with teachers usually there from 7 - 5 for duties, tutoring, meetings, etc.

no, no, no! i am not saying that - though i do feel for working parents of young kids. what the hell they do is beyond me. i guess some have friends or family that can help out, some get after school care. but there are a lot left home alone.

so you guys have about 13 weeks + public holidays ... it's just too much.

literacy and numeracy skills have dropped here .....

What an ego, reminds me of someone...oh never mind.

Are you a teacher?

Yes, yes I am, and I'm here to bequeath my vast knowledge upon you all. Get a notepad as you might want to jot things down for the enlightenment of future generations.

Seriously though, no, I am not a teacher. But I do feel very pleased with myself for getting the Presence reference - It's probably the greatest achievement of my life thus far.

Yes, yes I am, and I'm here to bequeath my vast knowledge upon you all. Get a notepad as you might want to jot things down for the enlightenment of future generations.

Seriously though, no, I am not a teacher. But I do feel very pleased with myself for getting the Presence reference - It's probably the greatest achievement of my life thus far.

:you_rock:

Archived