Best Rock And Roll drum solo

Bonzo_fan

Here's a tough one.

I was just listening to the version of Rock And Roll from Celebration Day and was mesmerized as usual by Jason's solo at the end.

Thoughts on where this one stands and what you think the best was?

My apologies if this has already been covered.

well there's the studio version, TSRTS, Earls Court, Knebworth, and of course Celebration Day, with the former being the best for me

This is the LIVE section of the Forum...hence, we can dispense with the studio version right off the bat. There's also a helluva lot more "Rock and Roll" performances than the four you listed above. This will take some time, although I think I can dispense with all the 1975 performances as most of the R & R drum solos from that tour seemed slow and leaden compared to the best of 1971-73 and 1977.

Maybe the fact that "Sick Again" was linked with "Rock and Roll" for the 1975 tour caused the drum solo to suffer. It's a slower song(especially the opening) than "Celebration Day", which was the link for the 1973 U.S. tour, and also, partly because of Plant's vocal problems in 1975, the 1975 R & Rs tended to be played more lethargically anyway. Check the 1975 timings against the 1972 or even 1977 timings and you'll see what I mean.

Talk about a trainspotter's delight...

Studio version for me is the best by far. He never played it quite the same as that live,

But seeing this is for the best live version ..I'll go with the LA Forum Bonzo / Keith Moon duet for sentimental reasons.

Jason is using a double bass pedal on the 2007 show .... but yeah it's quite good.

Archived