Home Baking

chillumpuffer

I am a foodie as most of the forum will know. As the season of fruits is upon us I am dusting out the chutney pan. After a dodgy spring and a fabulous summer the Victoria Plum tree is yielding it's bounty. Although not totally packed with fruit, the taste of these little beauties is tremendous. I am using 3 Lbs of plums and adding apples ,raisins, and spices. It will be ready to eat around Christmas and will be sweet and great with the cheese board and any cold cuts.

Any one else planning to make jam or chutneys now the season is here?

The fruit:

post-4226-0-26983900-1378461118_thumb.jp

post-4226-0-26983900-1378461118_thumb.jp

The tree:

post-4226-0-34816000-1378461166_thumb.jp

Not big on chutney and there's enough fresh jam makers around that I don't need to make my own. I can count on one hand the number of times I have made my own jam from fresh fruit.

Maybe when I am less busy I'll be into making my own jam more often.

I am a foodie as most of the forum will know. As the season of fruits is upon us I am dusting out the chutney pan. After a dodgy spring and a fabulous summer the Victoria Plum tree is yielding it's bounty. Although not totally packed with fruit, the taste of these little beauties is tremendous. I am using 3 Lbs of plums and adding apples ,raisins, and spices. It will be ready to eat around Christmas and will be sweet and great with the cheese board and any cold cuts.

Any one else planning to make jam or chutneys now the season is here?

The fruit:

attachicon.gifIMG_0294 (2).jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0294 (2).jpg

The tree:

sounds yummy, cp.

i used to make tomato relish, but they are too bloody expensive now :(

I'm weak, baking is my kryptonite, no matter if it is pies, tarts, cakes, or cookies, if it is around, I will eat it, and not just a bit, but most of it at one sitting so I won't allow it in my home, I need to stay disciplined now that I'm in my 40's - I refuse to be the fat Elvis. The key to be good sales guy in the energy business is wearing a starched collar, quality tie, good shoes, and having a fit body, you need to feel the part, but just as importantly look it, otherwise the competition will tear you apart and I like being number 1.

I'm weak, baking is my kryptonite, no matter if it is pies, tarts, cakes, or cookies, if it is around, I will eat it, and not just a bit, but most of it at one sitting so I won't allow it in my home, I need to stay disciplined now that I'm in my 40's - I refuse to be the fat Elvis. The key to be good sales guy in the energy business is wearing a starched collar, quality tie, good shoes, and having a fit body, you need to feel the part, but just as importantly look it, otherwise the competition will tear you apart and I like being number 1.

I want to see weslgarlic do your job. Seeing him have to wear a suit and tie and cut his hair would be priceless.

I want to see weslgarlic do your job. Seeing him have to wear a suit and tie and cut his hair would be priceless.

If I was female there won't be such constraints ( you would like me to be me miserable ........... priceless indeed )

I went into the local bank

not one woman had the same uniform on and hair cuts varied from very very short to very very long and wearing it down , one had short short at one side and a a sweeping fringe at the other

all the men , you guessed it looked the same , all in the same standard issue shirt and tie , trousers and shoes . all with short hair

I baked a peach tart this last weekend in my cast iron pan. Everyone at the camp out loved it.

I really am getting back into cooking in cast iron pans. Bought a book to experiment with different receipes and thinking at my next camp out of using the cast iron pot I have on the bed of coals.. Maybe a stew or chili if the weather is cooler.

It would be a bit of giggle for a lark. He is a good chap though, sometimes hard to follow, but I like him anyways.

That's all I meant it as, a giggle. Anyone who took it otherwise is taking the internet way too seriously.

Back to baking, anybody here a fan of biscuits? I am. Fresh buttery biscuits out of the oven with some honey or fresh strawberry or blackberry preserves...mmmm, heaven.

Found a weird recipe that included 7-Up that I am curious to try.

Cake, Pie, or Tart? Which is your preference and why? Each has their pluses and minuses (has anyone ever found a true fool-proof pie-crust recipe?). Also, does your preference differ depending on whether we are talking about eating or making said desserts?

Last question: Cheesecake...is it cake or pie?

Found it...

7 Up Biscuits

4 cups Bisquick
1 cup sour cream
1 cup 7-up*
1/2 cup melted butter

*If you don't have, or prefer not to use 7-Up, you can make your own home-made version mixing 1 cup Club Soda, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon lime juice.

Pre-heat oven to 425°

Mix Bisquick, sour cream and 7-Up in a large mixing bowl. Dough will be very soft - don't worry. Turn out dough onto a flat surface covered with about 1/3 cup more Bisquick and knead and fold dough lightly until the Bisquick is worked in. Pat dough out (don't roll) to about 1/2 inches thick and cut biscuits using a round biscuit/cookie cutter.

Pour melted butter in bottom of 9x13 casserole dish/cake pan. Place biscuits on top of melted butter close together, sides touching and bake for 12-15 minutes or until brown at 425 degrees. Watch carefully so the tops don't get too brown. Use a fork to separate the biscuits.

Devour with a little butter, honey, jam of your choice...or Nutella.

^ ^ ^ That sounds interesting....love a good biscuit and have tried my hand at making them from scratch only to be disappointed with the results. It is definatly an art to make a good scracth biscuit. I will keep trying though.

That's all I meant it as, a giggle. Anyone who took it otherwise is taking the internet way too seriously.

Back to baking, anybody here a fan of biscuits? I am. Fresh buttery biscuits out of the oven with some honey or fresh strawberry or blackberry preserves...mmmm, heaven.

Found a weird recipe that included 7-Up that I am curious to try.

Cake, Pie, or Tart? Which is your preference and why? Each has their pluses and minuses (has anyone ever found a true fool-proof pie-crust recipe?). Also, does your preference differ depending on whether we are talking about eating or making said desserts?

Last question: Cheesecake...is it cake or pie?

I prefer fruit tarts/pies, because I love fruit, and they are less sweet (I don't care for gooey, super sweet desserts). I am terrible at making pie crusts, and my cakes always come out uneven; except for my rum cakes. I stick with cookies, banana/zucchini/pumpkin breads, rum cakes, and the occasional artisan bread or pizza dough.

Archived