Led Zeppelin - Original Album Reviews

thozil

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't it amazing that not one critic had a clue what Stairway would become ? Most of the reviews of the 4th album don't even mention it, or they view it as a throway tune. That's why they were in the magazine business instead of the record business. Appreciate everyone's efforts...great stuff !

• 4 weeks later...

According to the Ritchie Yorke LZ Biography, there was supposed to have been a review in a publication called The Ringsman, written by Karen Rose-which stated "Led Zep IV is the miracle album of all time". Has anyone ever seen this review? It's a mystery....

• 3 weeks later...

^^^

Great post, Sam.

In 1969, several student journalists working at the Kentucky Kernel (the official University of Kentucky newspaper) decided to start an alternative, "activist" newspaper of their own. A change of editors at the Kernel and a decreased focus on political editorials led Guy Mendes and others to create blue-tail fly. In a February 17, 2008 article about the publication in Business Lexington, Mendes described the creation and purpose of blue-tail fly: "We wanted to change the world, save the world, in a time of war and racial strife [it] was an outgrowth, in a way, of the campus protests of '69 and '70, that closed down campus both years, and cancelled finals."

The name of the newspaper, according to Mendes, came from the folk song of the same name, sometimes better known as "Jimmy Crack Corn", in which the blue-tail fly is blamed for the "master's" death because it bit the master's horse, causing him to fall. The blue-tail fly was intended to bring stories to light that were not being reported in mainstream media both local and national.

The blue-tail fly was a not-for-profit newspaper in every sense originally, the staff wanted to produce it monthly, but realized that they didn't have the funds to do so after the fifth issue. Eleven issues were produced between October 1969 and spring of 1971 (issues 6-11 were undated) and distributed in Lexington, Louisville, and several other points in Kentucky, selling for 20-25 cents, but production costs were not being covered, and the staff sometimes gave away copies or were unable to recover sales from distributors. The publication folded after the eleventh issue due to unresolved issues with funding.

• 6 months later...

As a teen I devoured every issue of CREEM Magazine and would love to read their original LZ reviews (as mentioned above).  

Alas, they are now archived on a site called "Rock's Back Pages," which, while a worthy endeavor, charges a fortune (some $90 per annum) to access. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2015 at 2:25 AM, Sirensongs said:

As a teen I devoured every issue of CREEM Magazine and would love to read their original LZ reviews (as mentioned above).  

Alas, they are now archived on a site called "Rock's Back Pages," which, while a worthy endeavor, charges a fortune (some $90 per annum) to access. 

1973%2006%20%20Creem%20%20Pg%201%20of%20

1973%2006%20%20Creem%20%20Pg%202%20of%20

Creem (June 1973) (USA) Scans courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive 

1975%2005%20%20Creem%20USA%20Pg%201%20of

1975%2005%20%20Creem%20USA%20Pg%202%20of

Creem (May 1975) (USA) Scans courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive 

1976%2007%20%20Creem_zps3fesgtnn.jpg

Creem (Jul 1976) (USA) Scans courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive 

1983%2002%20%20Creem%201_zps2lrvqh2a.jpg

Creem (Feb 1983) (USA) Scans courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive 

Still Seeking:

Creem reviews for Led Zeppelin's first three albums as well as these reviews:

Creem (Feb 1972) (USA) "Mighty War Machine, Familiar As a Heartbeat"   'Led Zeppelin IV'

Creem (Jan 1977) (USA) "The View From Hear: A Thinker From Led Zeppelin"  'The Song Remains The Same'

Creem (Dec 1979) (USA) "Zep's Nitrate Zap"  'In Through The Out Door' (I have original but scan not available)

On 1/18/2016 at 7:02 PM, SteveAJones said:

Still Seeking:

Creem reviews for Led Zeppelin's first three albums as well as these reviews:

Creem (Feb 1972) (USA) "Mighty War Machine, Familiar As a Heartbeat"   'Led Zeppelin IV'

Creem (Jan 1977) (USA) "The View From Hear: A Thinker From Led Zeppelin"  'The Song Remains The Same'

Creem (Dec 1979) (USA) "Zep's Nitrate Zap"  'In Through The Out Door' (I have original but scan not available)

Steve, Creem started in March 69 and there was no review for the first album. The earliest article is a review of a Detroit show at the Grande Ballroom in Feb Jan (the text is available on the Timeline, Jan 19)

I have reprints of the second and third album review, but they're reprints. I may have the others as reprints too. Not sure if you want scans of originals or not.

18 hours ago, thozil said:

Steve, Creem started in March 69 and there was no review for the first album. The earliest article is a review of a Detroit show at the Grande Ballroom in Feb Jan (the text is available on the Timeline, Jan 19)

I have reprints of the second and third album review, but they're reprints. I may have the others as reprints too. Not sure if you want scans of originals or not.

Scans of reprints are fine. Many thanks for offering.

Archived