2014 Baseball Thread

jb126

It's amazing how the 2 teams who people were ready to crown after the trade deadline--Detroit and Oakland--have underachieved since making those deals. But, we still have over a month's worth of baseball to play & as I said before, this Garrett Richards injury could be what loses the Angels the division--we shall see....

That's why I laugh at those who say teams "buy" a championship. It's a team game and when that team is changed, the outcome isn't always what is expected. Just because you have great players on paper, it doesn't guarantee anything between the lines on the field.

That's why I laugh at those who say teams "buy" a championship. It's a team game and when that team is changed, the outcome isn't always what is expected. Just because you have great players on paper, it doesn't guarantee anything between the lines on the field.

Your Yankees have bought plenty of titles by robbing other teams. This arraogant asshole comes on the radio the other night calling me out, (my handle in these parts is Buffalo Rick), and puts down Buck and the O's because his Yankees are toast and he knows it. MLB has just said Baltimore will win the East and I will too. And I will not break a swear saying it because our next three weeks are vs under 500 teams. We paid our dues and beat the best. Oakland is overated. The Angels are very good but that injury could cost them far more than the division. It could could hurt their chances in the playoffs. Lets not forget Baltimore is doing this without Wieters and with Machado on the 15 day DL. Pretty impressive I would say King Cardinal. The Reds are such a joke. Pitiful team. You wont be playing them forever. The guy on the radio I am going to light up tonight. He has already guaranteed Lester will be a Yankee next year. Even when Lester has said he wants to go back to Boston. That in itself is a big mistake. You do not do things like that while playing for a team that just went out and got you.

Your Yankees have bought plenty of titles by robbing other teams. This arraogant asshole comes on the radio the other night calling me out, (my handle in these parts is Buffalo Rick), and puts down Buck and the O's because his Yankees are toast and he knows it. MLB has just said Baltimore will win the East and I will too. And I will not break a swear saying it because our next three weeks are vs under 500 teams. We paid our dues and beat the best. Oakland is overated. The Angels are very good but that injury could cost them far more than the division. It could could hurt their chances in the playoffs. Lets not forget Baltimore is doing this without Wieters and with Machado on the 15 day DL. Pretty impressive I would say King Cardinal. The Reds are such a joke. Pitiful team. You wont be playing them forever. The guy on the radio I am going to light up tonight. He has already guaranteed Lester will be a Yankee next year. Even when Lester has said he wants to go back to Boston. That in itself is a big mistake. You do not do things like that while playing for a team that just went out and got you.

What was the price tag on that title?

HE sounds like a jerk-off, but picking up free agents doesn't guarantee even a playoff appearance let alone a title - Angels? The Yankees have won most of their titles when using the farm system and picking up role players who turn out to be clutch. Look at that line up back in the late 90's title run. Players from the farm, low key signing players, and players with a second chance. There weren't many top notch signings that I can think of - Clemens, but he didn't do that much for them - besides introducing 'roids!

Just be glad you are winning, Rick. That's the best way to shut up the others who are not. No need to prove sh!t to them - scoreboard!

Good luck!

Edited by Walter

You are another dreamer if you think you have a chance to catch us. A wild card will be hard enough with KC, Detroit and Seattle all ahead. To the King, you have nothing on your team to compare with Cruz, Jones, Davis, Pearce, Machado, Schoop, Markakis. Your Cardinals have not caught the Brewers and likely wont. Even if they do I do not see them beating the Dodgers. The Orioles can beat anyone in the AL. The only two teams that have a shot against us are Anaheim and Detroit only because of their experience. Oakland is toast. I hope we get them.

A man must never give up on his dreams!

Nothing quite as exciting as a walk-off error! Well...

A fine afternoon at the ballpark in 90 degree heat and 1,000,000% humidity. Oy...

Fortunately there was food and drink and good company.

Right now, on MLB NOW, they are debating who the best team in baseball is right now. A lot of talk about the Nats, some mention of the A's, but no talk about Baltimore. I can only imagine what Rick might have to say about that....

^_^

. I will tell you what I have to say. It all depends on who is on that particular day. The other day there were several different guys on that said Baltimore is not mentioned by some and that is a mistake. Two guys said they are indeed the team to beat. But that is only one network and they have done their talking on the field. How can anyone in there right mind ignore the facts? Best record since all star game. Most HRs, Cruz leads bugs, starters and bullpen not only rock solid and best defense, O'Day and Brach may be the best two set up men in the game. Go see their record. 21 over 500 and Oakland has been caught. Next 3 weeks opponents under 500 and that includes a Yankee team we have pummeled and will keep pummeling. The stats and play on the field prove we are the best team! The best period.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24671856/garrett-richards-to-have-surgery-for-torn-patellar-tendon-out-6-9-months

Sorry to hear this Strider. Its a big hit.

Edited by LedZeppfan77

The Giants ain't out of it yet. It ain't over til it's OVER.

Especially given Beckett is done and the Dodgers cannot score. Kershaw is saving them all by himself. Will it be enough?

Tough for Price to lose. He pitches a one hitter and loses 1-0. no run support. Detroit has been real streaky on offense. Angels keep winning. I think the Orioles and Angels are the two teams that will be in the ALCS. Unless Seattle or KC pull an upset. Both are good. If Seattle can get to that one off, look out

Needless to say, this will a big weekend series between Anaheim and Oakland. The A's could take back control of the West or the Angels could pad their lead. It sucks, the news about Garrett Richards, but the Angels will have to find a way without him...

And the King pitches tonight in Boston. I would say it's a winnable series for the Mariners--but then again, I could have said the same thing about them playing the Phillies and look what happened....

What was the price tag on that title?

HE sounds like a jerk-off, but picking up free agents doesn't guarantee even a playoff appearance let alone a title - Angels? The Yankees have won most of their titles when using the farm system and picking up role players who turn out to be clutch. Look at that line up back in the late 90's title run. Players from the farm, low key signing players, and players with a second chance. There weren't many top notch signings that I can think of - Clemens, but he didn't do that much for them - besides introducing 'roids!

Just be glad you are winning, Rick. That's the best way to shut up the others who are not. No need to prove sh!t to them - scoreboard!

Good luck!

A Rod, Damon, are you kidding me Walter? Go back to the pre Steinbrenner days if you want any respect. Mantle, Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Ford, Selkirk (my cousin). 1927 Yankees. And as for my O's, they are loaded. I am not afraid of anyone in the playoffs exccept Angels and Tigers. Historically we have done very well vs Detroit.

Needless to say, this will a big weekend series between Anaheim and Oakland. The A's could take back control of the West or the Angels could pad their lead. It sucks, the news about Garrett Richards, but the Angels will have to find a way without him...

And the King pitches tonight in Boston. I would say it's a winnable series for the Mariners--but then again, I could have said the same thing about them playing the Phillies and look what happened....

Only Lester may win one for the struggling A's. I expect the Angels to put them in a hole they may not be able to climb out of . A month ago many were trying to crown them world series champs. Now they may not make the playoffs. My birds hav caught them. And I expect we are going to have a big shot at the best record when all is said and done because we play the next three weeks vs sub 500 teams. Of course that does not always guarantee a win. Today I expect holy hell from Jake Arrieta who is going to be out to prove we made a mistake on him. He is a very good pitcher and the Cubbies are really getting better. I do not expect to sweep them. They are better than people think. Tampa plays Toronto. Have fun Jays. I have to go see who the Yankees play. Can you believe that fucking Kluber lost to Minny? That prick. Cost me my fucking streak. RRRRR

EBK, if you read this can you shed any light on how Machado can be smiling on the bench, supposed to return later, and now bang, this news that his season is over? Knee surgery next week? Did this come from a Dr out of no where? I do not understand this

I don't have any light to shed. My husband told me about the surgery earlier this evening. He said that he thought the injury looked worse than "just a sprain." And I guess he's right. I'm really saddened by this. And right after I got this in the mail...

IMG_20140822_194400_zps757c009f.jpg

Time to buy tickets!!

I don't have any light to shed. My husband told me about the surgery earlier this evening. He said that he thought the injury looked worse than "just a sprain." And I guess he's right. I'm really saddened by this. And right after I got this in the mail...

IMG_20140822_194400_zps757c009f.jpg

Time to buy tickets!!

They still win the division and my friend who is a Yankees fan big time agrees. The loss on D is bigger than offense. Pearce can supply his offense. But now Buck has to decide to use Pearce at 3rd and Hardy at SS and Schoop at 2nd and Davis at 1st. That would be my choice, and use Flaherty as needed. We do not lose our power. Detroit is gettting waxed by the Twins right now and the Jays are getting trounced also. Yankees tied at 3 after being down 3-0. The Angels did lose Richards so they took a big hit also. We are not out of anything. It sucks, but we are stilll 20 over 500 and in the drivers seat. Have to win without him and Matt. We are very fortunate these catchers panned out. Our pitching and power hitting can still get the job done without Manny. I do not get this though. He is sitting on the bench in Chicago joking around. So he must have gotten the news after the game? That is very strange. If he feels better, I would sure want another opinion on him being able to finish the season

Tigers must be desperado'S. JIM Johnson on mound with 3 ducks on the pond. And nobody out. lOL

Edited by LedZeppfan77

Hopefully, Machado going down won't be too much of a hit. I get the feeling the O's will find a way to persevere...

A lot of stuff going on in the majors last night--Uehara of the Sawx blows a save; a rarity indeed. Tigers get pounded by the Twins. Oh, to live in Detroit right now--I can only imagine...

Hopefully, Machado going down won't be too much of a hit. I get the feeling the O's will find a way to persevere...

A lot of stuff going on in the majors last night--Uehara of the Sawx blows a save; a rarity indeed. Tigers get pounded by the Twins. Oh, to live in Detroit right now--I can only imagine...

If Detroit does not get in, in my mind there is in reality only the Angels to deal with as our biggest challenge. I do not think KC or Seattle could beat us in a 7 game series. Nor Oakland. Only the Angels I fear if Detroit is out. I am looking forward to see what Buck has to say about this and how Machado could be on the bench joking around yesterday when this has happened? I am wondering if the Doctor phoned or flew to Chicago with this news? And I would want a second opinion if that is the case. If its a sprain, would it be worth him playing in a brace if he felt good enough? Or do they just figure Pearce can take care of it?

I see this Cubs pitcher is 5-1. And no line in Vegas on Twins and Detroit. 20 runs? No way does out bullpen ever give up that many runs. That is Detroit's weakness. Their bullpen stinks

Edited by LedZeppfan77

A Rod, Damon, are you kidding me Walter? Go back to the pre Steinbrenner days if you want any respect. Mantle, Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Ford, Selkirk (my cousin). 1927 Yankees. And as for my O's, they are loaded. I am not afraid of anyone in the playoffs exccept Angels and Tigers. Historically we have done very well vs Detroit.

How many titles did they win AFTER signing A-Roid? ONE. Same with Damon, not that Damon was that huge of a signing either. Get your sh!t straight, Rick.

Sorry about losing Manny. Guess you guys are pretty f*cked now.... There's always next year! ;)

How many titles did they win AFTER signing A-Roid? ONE. Same with Damon, not that Damon was that huge of a signing either. Get your sh!t straight, Rick.

Sorry about losing Manny. Guess you guys are pretty f*cked now.... There's always next year! ;)

What is that supposed to mean? You think the Yankees will win the East now? Ha

And Walter, go check the Tigers score again

3rd inning. Twins 7 Tigers 1. Is that your team?

Edited by LedZeppfan77

Walter your silly ass Yankees will not catch us. If that is what you are saying? Good luck with that. Your team cannot hit

Jones hit one to the Ivy and Pearce scored

So come on sucker. Who is your team that will beat us?

Edited by LedZeppfan77

I'm pretty sure Walter was just being facetious Rick, hence the winking smiley... ;)

Damn, the Tigers are getting their ass stomped again. Time to kiss the playoffs goodbye?

If the Tigers are out, only the Angels to deal with. maybe K/C. or Seattle but we are deeper than both.

Am I wrong or didn't the next world series champions, the Baltimore orioles, get swept by the last place Cubbies? If a last place team can sweep the mighty orioles (according to LedZep77), then anything is possible.

If this can happen to Rick and the unfortunate outcome to his beloved team, then that means that MY team, the Mighty Saint Louis and Dominant Cardinals. have another REAL chance of making it to and Winning the National League Pennant and for the FOURTH FUCKIN YEAR IN A ROW. I know You love your team and they are a good team this year but they are a team that starts out with much promise but have not proven their worth for over 3 decades. I ask you, really, how can YOU justify that FACT.

I believe that your faith and determination in the Orioles is really honest and sincere, however, I really think that you are deceiving yourself.

The 2014 World Series will be between the Saint Louis Cardinals and the best team of the American League (and if will not be Baltimore).

Getting swept by the Cubs--that's not good. I would say things might get easier, except Tampa isn't exactly a pushover. Thank goodness for a 6 game lead...

I was going to say, the Angels might have a bit of a break on their schedule, playing the Marlins--but, the A's will get to feast on the Astros, so that division race looks to be going down to the wire (I like it)...

baseball_zpsa6498512.gif