Joy Division

jimjam

Any fans here?

Both of their two albums would make my ''top ten albums'' list, probably even my top five. Whenever something tragic happens to someone in a band, there's always a lot of press coverage and so they suddenly become more well-known and famous, but I think in JD's case, they were getting there anyway. Had they have gone to America that May in 1980, I think people would've sat up and took note a little more. God, what could their next album have been like? I feel so sad that Curtis couldn't find the peace he so desperately wanted and needed when alive, but at least we have his beautiful lyrics to remember him by. I don't think I'm biased when I say he was one of the best lyricists of the past century.

I love 'em. Had Unknown Pleasures on cassette, the Factory edition in the purple box not the crappy WB re-issue. I love that they were "you don't need to be a virtuoso to play rock just play". To be honest I'm just now getting heavy into Led Zeppelin but my real musical passion is British post-punk and US Hardcore. I think JD would've gone the way that New Order did maybe even more disco. I always heard Ian Curtis was a huge disco fan. That woman that he was having the affair, Annick Honore (???) just died recently too.

i came way late to Joy Division - I was in 8th grade when Bonzo & Lennon passed so the next few years were heavily devoted to classic rock with zeppelin being at the forefront. I knew of JD but never really gave their music a chance until I saw the film Control. I went to my local library & they had a few cd's so I checked them out.

I wish i would have discovered them earlier because I really like them! My fav tracks are Isolation, Transmission, Digital, These Days, etc. Its such a shame that Ian passed. I just lost a cousin last weekend to suicide. He was not a JD fan, he was way into Slayer! RIP David

Any fans here?

:wave:

1979 03 14 - Altrincham, UK

1979 08 02 - London, UK (Low Gen)(Upgrade)

1979 08 31 - London, UK "The Day Of The Lords" (Glass Music)

1979 09 22 - London, England "Try To Cure Yourself" (Vinyl)

1979 09 28 - Hulme - Manchester, England

1979 10 06 - Edinburgh, Scotland (1st Gen)

1980 01 11 - Amsterdam, The Netherlands

1980 01 15 - Cologne, Germany (2nd/Alt Source)

1980 01 17 - Brussels, Belgium (2nd Gen)

1980 01 17 - Brussels, Belgium (MP3 - Unknown Gen)

1980 01 18 - Eindhoven, Holland

1980 05 02 - Birmingham, UK *Soundcheck

1979 01 11 - "The Complete B.B.C. Recordings" (Official Release)

1979 07 13 - Manchester "Live At The Factory" (Unknown Pleasures - Disc 2 of Collector's Edition) (Official Release)

1979 xx xx - "Unknown Pleasures" (Official Release)

1980 07 18 - "Closer" (Official Release)

1979 - 2007- "Unknown Pleasures - Remastered 2 Disc Collector's Edition" (Official Release)

Compilation- "Martin Hannett's Personal Mixes" (Interstate) (Official)

Compilation- Various "Les Bains Douches" (Official Release)

Compilation- Heart & Soul [4 Discs] (London Records) (Official Release)

Am sorry to hear about your cousin The Only Way To Fly.

Lost a brother to suicide in March. Shot himself.

RIP Charlie & Peace to your cousin as well.

Edited by apantherfrommd

:wave:

1979 03 14 - Altrincham, UK

1979 08 02 - London, UK (Low Gen)(Upgrade)

1979 08 31 - London, UK "The Day Of The Lords" (Glass Music)

1979 09 22 - London, England "Try To Cure Yourself" (Vinyl)

1979 09 28 - Hulme - Manchester, England

1979 10 06 - Edinburgh, Scotland (1st Gen)

1980 01 11 - Amsterdam, The Netherlands

1980 01 15 - Cologne, Germany (2nd/Alt Source)

1980 01 17 - Brussels, Belgium (2nd Gen)

1980 01 17 - Brussels, Belgium (MP3 - Unknown Gen)

1980 01 18 - Eindhoven, Holland

1980 05 02 - Birmingham, UK *Soundcheck

1979 01 11 - "The Complete B.B.C. Recordings" (Official Release)

1979 07 13 - Manchester "Live At The Factory" (Unknown Pleasures - Disc 2 of Collector's Edition) (Official Release)

1979 xx xx - "Unknown Pleasures" (Official Release)

1980 07 18 - "Closer" (Official Release)

1979 - 2007- "Unknown Pleasures - Remastered 2 Disc Collector's Edition" (Official Release)

hah neat. i always preferred live JD to studio. Its like they were 2 different bands. I'm just picking up the bass, so JD is one of my go-to bands.

I think a biggie about JDivision is that they seem timeless. They look and sound contemporary no matter the trends.

One of my best mates is Hookies road manager. They are on tour in the states in November and I highly recommend you check them out if you can. If anyone would like to go I may get them on the guest list

Sunday 2nd Jose Cuervo Salon, Mexico City The Light - Unknown Pleasures & Closer live + opening New Order set. Tuesday 4th The Mohawk, Austin The Light - Low-Life & Brotherhood live + opening Joy Division set. $21 Thursday 6th The Trocadero, Philadelphia The Light - Low-Life & Brotherhood live + opening Joy Division set. $22.50 Friday 7th Irving Plaza, New York The Light - Low-Life & Brotherhood live + opening Joy Division set. $35 Saturday 8th Royale, Boston The Light - Low-Life & Brotherhood live + opening Joy Division set. $30.50 Monday 10th Club Soda, Montreal The Light - Low-Life & Brotherhood live + opening Joy Division set. $25 Tuesday 11th Danforth Music Hall, Toronto The Light - Low-Life & Brotherhood live + opening Joy Division set. $30.75 Thursday 13th The Magic Bag, Ferndale The Light - Low-Life & Brotherhood live + opening Joy Division set. $30 Friday 14th Metro, Chicago The Light - Low-Life & Brotherhood live + opening Joy Division set. $20 Saturday 15th Fine Line Music Cafe, Minneapolis The Light - Low-Life & Brotherhood live + opening Joy Division set. $25 Monday 17th Venue, Vancouver The Light - Low-Life & Brotherhood live + opening Joy Division set. $25 Tuesday 18th Neumos, Seattle The Light - Low-Life & Brotherhood live + opening Joy Division set. $25 Thursday 20th Wonder Ballroom, Portland The Light - Low-Life & Brotherhood live + opening Joy Division set. $23 Friday 21st Mezzanine, San Francisco The Light - Low-Life & Brotherhood live + opening Joy Division set. $27.50 Saturday 22nd The Fonda Theatre, Los Angeles The Light - Low-Life & Brotherhood live + opening Joy Division set. $25.50 Monday 24th The Glasshouse, Pomona, California The Light - Movement & Power, Corruption and Lies live w/ El Ten Eleven. $23 Tuesday 25th The Roxy, Los Angeles The Light - Unknown Pleasures & Closer live w/ El Ten Eleven. SOLD OUT Wednesday 26th House Of Blues, San Diego The Light - Low-Life & Brotherhood live + opening Joy Division set. $35 Friday 28th The Republik, Honolulu The Light - Low-Life & Brotherhood live + opening Joy Division set. $25

Edited by chillumpuffer

Man, I had tickets to Joy Division's Starwood show June 9, 1980 and was also planning on trying to get into the Madame Wong's show earlier that weekend. When the news came that Ian Curtis killed himself on the eve of the U.S. tour, it hit hard...I was crushed. Joy Division were one of those post-punk bands that I was heavily into at that time...along with PIL, Wire, Bauhaus, The Cure, Gang of Four, Cabaret Voltaire, and Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark among some others.

Got their studio albums...Unknown Pleasures, Closer, Warsaw, Still, and a couple other compilations. Lots of BBC Radio/John Peel stuff and tons of live albums, official and bootlegs both. Always a perennial in my listening rotation, I also liked New Order up to and including their "Technique" album.

Sadly, there is a split among JD/New Order bassist Peter Hook and the rest of the band and, like Black Flag, there are competing versions of the band touring. Bernard Sumner, Gillian and the rest of the band played a good show at the Greek Theatre last month. Now I might give Peter Hook a try in November at the Fonda.

Still one of the iconic album covers of all-time.

1979_Unknown-Pleasures.jpg

Edited by Strider

Ah, there's quite a few of you. That's a little surprising.

I wish I could go, chillumpuffer. I'm on the wrong side of the ocean. Mind you, he is playing Manchester next month. Maybe I could go to that gig. I'm just not sure how I feel about him doing JD songs, really (and I'm not a big New Order fan).

Zepdawg, have you listened to the albums or any of the songs from them? As someone said above, they sounded very different live to how they did in the studio. They weren't extremely talented musically, of course, but Hannett did a very good job producing them and getting the most out of Ian's voice, which I think really makes the albums special.

Edited by jimjam

Ah, there's quite a few of you. That's a little surprising.

I wish I could go, chillumpuffer. I'm on the wrong side of the ocean. Mind you, he is playing Manchester next month. Maybe I could go to that gig. I'm just not sure how I feel about him doing JD songs, really (and I'm not a big New Order fan).

Zepdawg, have you listened to the albums or any of the songs from them? As someone said above, they sounded very different live to how they did in the studio. They weren't extremely talented musically, of course, but Hannett did a very good job producing them and getting the most out of Ian's voice, which I think really makes the albums special.

Go and see him in Manchester Jimjam. He doesn't do New Order stuff. I was never a JD fan but when we went to see them they were excellent. I will ask about the guest list but as it's a home town show it could be tricky. Is it the Ritz show on the 25th Sept? By the way it is a home town show for me too.

Oh right, so you're from Manchester? I'm just north of Birmingham.

That's the one I meant, on the 25th. According to his website they're going to do New Order's third and fourth albums in full, along with a few more of their songs and a ''Joy Division opening''. So it sounds like it'll be mostly NO stuff.