It was 44 Years Years Ago Today, On Blueberry Hill They Played

therover27

any thoughts and remembrances for the legacy of the ultimate live document of that era, 9/4/1970, LIVE ON BLUEBERRY HILL???????? a momentous show, and the first Zeppelin bootleg. Its personally the first bootleg i ever got into of Zeppelin and…..let's just say i haven't stopped 15 years on. Lets get some pictures, links, everyone's opinions, even an essay if someone can muster it ;)

That solo on Thank You is the exact reason why Jimmy needed to keep using the Echoplex on tours like 1975 when his guitar tone was way too dry . That solo on Thank You is just….when i first heard that my mind was blown away…..and i realized i was listening to the greatest band of all time ….just the most gargantuan beautiful light echo / delay making each note horrifically huge, and in a band like Zep, with only one guitarist, Jimmy shoulda used it more. Notice, when Jimmy does use the Echoplex on stuff like Ten Years Gone's live solo, Achilles Last Stand, Over The Hills & Far Away, it sounds amazing, it sounds full with the rest of the band. He just should've used that more in 1975-1977 like he did in the early and later days

That solo on Thank You is the exact reason why Jimmy needed to keep using the Echoplex on tours like 1975 when his guitar tone was way too dry . That solo on Thank You is just….when i first heard that my mind was blown away…..and i realized i was listening to the greatest band of all time ….just the most gargantuan beautiful light echo / delay making each note horrifically huge, and in a band like Zep, with only one guitarist, Jimmy shoulda used it more. Notice, when Jimmy does use the Echoplex on stuff like Ten Years Gone's live solo, Achilles Last Stand, Over The Hills & Far Away, it sounds amazing, it sounds full with the rest of the band. He just should've used that more in 1975-1977 like he did in the early and later days

:goodpost:

I think Page actually used his Vox Long Tom echo on the 1970 US Tour. He ran the Echoplex on the side, but for the theremin only.

Here's a pic from that tour (kind of grainy), where you can see the Vox Long Tom and the Maestro side-by-side, and you can just make out the lead going from the theremin into the Echoplex: http://www.ledzeppelin.com/photos/led-zeppelin/1970-1971/usa-aug-1970

Agree though that Page had a great sound on that tour, but I think it may have had more to do with the fact that he was likely using one of the two amps head to drive four speaker cabinets, and so was using the boost function on the Hiwatt for leads. That sound was cleaner overall and had more headroom than his later tours where he was presumably pushing the amps a lot harder, with the help of the Echoplex preamp.

My first boot as well - I got mine in 1984. The thing I love about this gig is they are having so much fun! The WLL Medley just awesome - not to mention the GTBT jam with For What It's Worth - Move East in a couple weeks & were in NYC for the gig on the 19th! Also a killer show including Blueberry Hill as well!

Zeppelin -End of summer 1970, Viet Nam, hippies & just kick ass rock and roll!

Love this show. If I could go back in time this would be the show I would see. The Whole Lotta Love Medley just flows from one great song to another. This show is the reason I started collecting Zep boots. This is the kind of concert that should be a template for all other bands. A soundboard release of this show would be for me the greatest Zep release ever.

• 2 weeks later...

interesting, Pluribus, I shall check this out about this Vox Long Tom, sounds interesting as fuck. you guys are all experts holy shit....i thought i knew everything about Zeppelin but the last couple months have had me digging the bottom of the wells of the unknown and i have found a wellspring :)

thanks for making a new guy feel welcome Zephead :)

by the way, Pluribus i found this proof of Jimmy using it in the studio too:

im struggling to get this photo on here damnit! ive gotta show you guys this, as its a Zeppelin II in studio photograph, and ive only seen a few of these :)

thanks for making a new guy feel welcome Zephead :)

by the way, Pluribus i found this proof of Jimmy using it in the studio too:

im struggling to get this photo on here damnit! ive gotta show you guys this, as its a Zeppelin II in studio photograph, and ive only seen a few of these :)

Is that me lol? Either way welcome man, glad you like it here, it's a cool place!

yes sorry hahah Zep Head usually your posts have been pretty informative, hilarious and badass. thank you so much!

heres the link to that photo of the Vox Long Tom if anyones interested :

scroll down to post #11 on that thread.....

also

post #88

yes sorry hahah Zep Head usually your posts have been pretty informative, hilarious and badass. thank you so much!

heres the link to that photo of the Vox Long Tom if anyones interested :

scroll down to post #11 on that thread.....

also

post #88

Oh thanks man! BTW just call me Sathington Willoughby! ;):gimmefive:

hahahah will do Sathington ! jesus i just saw that! hahahah okay my apologies! theres some really cool photos on those lespaulforums. some tidbits: someone claimed Jonesy's thick bass sound on Heartbreaker is because it was plugged into a Leslie Speaker...which is kinda cool, a precursor to the Peter Hook chorus'd bass sound! and that Jimmy used a Flying V on the basic track of You Shook Me, the same one Keith Richards owned until it was stolen from Nellcote 1971

hahahah will do Sathington ! jesus i just saw that! hahahah okay my apologies! theres some really cool photos on those lespaulforums. some tidbits: someone claimed Jonesy's thick bass sound on Heartbreaker is because it was plugged into a Leslie Speaker...which is kinda cool, a precursor to the Peter Hook chorus'd bass sound! and that Jimmy used a Flying V on the basic track of You Shook Me, the same one Keith Richards owned until it was stolen from Nellcote 1971

I always wondered how he got that raunchy sound, thanks man! Cheers! :drinks:

Is it just me or should Out On The Tiles have been played more? That and Celebration Day are two of the most underrated Zeppelin rockers...and to think those critics at the time thought Zeppelin were going soft...Gallows Pole is one of the heaviest things they did, and that thing was a train off the tracks when done live it was a stomping beast to be reckoned with...that one shoulda been done more

• 1 month later...

This show is way overrated to me. Aside from "Thank You" the performance is flat until the encores. I actually found myself bored listening to it and remembered why I hadn't played it in some time. Give me Los Angeles in 1977 any day...

Well you gotta give it to Thank You, what a hell of a performance as usual of course but Jonsey's organ sounded way different at the very last verse it has always caught my attention. But give SIBLY a listen.. Pretty damn good! (I really like the 1970 performances of it, don't even get me started on Vancouver 3/21 lol) But I can see why it's such a notable show, rare performance of Out On The Tiles and Bron-Yr-Aur and Good times Bad Times in the medley and the only performance of the cover Blueberry Hill, plus it was the first Zeppelin bootleg released! Its a pretty damn great show as a whole, if only they played How Many More Times would it be a perfect show! But yeah compared to HTWWW the first 5 songs and WLL are a little boring IMO.

This show is way overrated to me. Aside from "Thank You" the performance is flat until the encores. I actually found myself bored listening to it and remembered why I hadn't played it in some time. Give me Los Angeles in 1977 any day...

Well you gotta give it to Thank You, what a hell of a performance as usual of course but Jonsey's organ sounded way different at the very last verse it has always caught my attention. But give SIBLY a listen.. Pretty damn good! (I really like the 1970 performances of it, don't even get me started on Vancouver 3/21 lol) But I can see why it's such a notable show, rare performance of Out On The Tiles and Bron-Yr-Aur and Good times Bad Times in the medley and the only performance of the cover Blueberry Hill, plus it was the first Zeppelin bootleg released! Its a pretty damn great show as a whole, if only they played How Many More Times would it be a perfect show! But yeah compared to HTWWW the first 5 songs and WLL are a little boring IMO.

Y'all need more 1970/9/19

The Flying V that Page used on You Shook Me was neither Keith Richards' nor was it stolen. The Flying V was offered to Page to purchase and so he "tried it out" and used it to record YSM.

A Gibson Les Paul Standard, dubbed "Keithburst", was allegedly stolen in 1971 - allegedly because the location from where it was stolen isn't exactly known. Richards had used it as early as 1964....and so had Jimmy Page, in July 1964, when recording Heart Of Stone.

Archived