LA Forum 24th, 25th, 27th March 1975

butlerhunt2

apparently these were the best of the tour

Best of the tour? Depends on who you're asking...usually the consensus is that 1975.03.21 (second Seattle show) is the "best" from the tour, although the entire late March run was good (aside from some hiccups during the first LA show).

All 3 are available on the EVSD excellent Deep Throat package. Mike Millard's audience recordings are mainly used so the quality is great especially from a 1975 perspective. I would guess that they will be better than the boards anyway

Why get the EVSD versions when you can get the 1st gen tapes, even get them in 96/24 quality?

I just prefer the atmosphere of audience recordings.

I'm talking about the audience tapes. No soundboards of the LA shows have been released yet. I'm saying why get EVSD's over-EQ'd release when you can have the tapes in significantly better sound quality.

I'm talking about the audience tapes. No soundboards of the LA shows have been released yet. I'm saying why get EVSD's over-EQ'd release when you can have the tapes in significantly better sound quality.

To be fair, I'd say the Deep Throat releases date back to a period where EVSD mastered their releases more reasonably...and I'm unsure if the sonic quality of the verified 1st gen tapes is that much better.

I prefer the 27th myself, mostly because it reminds me of 1977 and what the shows would become. I am not a big fan of '75 however, no doubt in large part to my somewhat distaste for Dazed and Confused and the lumbering exercise it had become by this point. But you can't beat OTHAFA, TUF and No Quarter on this night.

It's funny how in my mind, March 27, 1975 mirrors June 27, 1977: both last Forum shows of their runs, both last shows of their tour (well, last show of US 75 tour, last show of 2nd leg of 77 US Tour), both the longest shows of the tour, and both being both amazing and inconsistent (band was tiring on last night of both runs), in that they are not as sharp as other LA dates during each residency (take your pick on 77: 21st or 23rd; March 25, 1975 to my ears, the best of the 75 LA run).

• 3 months later...

I just picked up "Led Zeppelin Live at the L.A. Forum" a DVD from EVSD. It claims "SB SOUND" for the first segment.

I have to say, it does sound better than the Millard tape. But maybe I'm being fooled, and they synched up a different show?

Anybody have this or knows of a review? It says 2013 on it...

• 7 months later...

I would think so. maybe in the years to come someone will release them! But the recordings that we already have are damn good! I actually think they are better than sbd. But it would definitely be a treat wouldnt it?!!!?!?!?

Archived