So who ripped-off the mighty Led Zep?

osoz

Funny how most of the low-slung guitarists like Slash have to push the guitar up or rest it on their knee

when they solo. Page being sort of tall had both huge hands AND quite long arms, so the "handicap" is

not as much as some think. Interesting how so many punks adopted this pose.

• 1 month later...

Funny how most of the low-slung guitarists like Slash have to push the guitar up or rest it on their knee

when they solo. Page being sort of tall had both huge hands AND quite long arms, so the "handicap" is

not as much as some think. Interesting how so many punks adopted this pose.

well, the lower jimmys guitar got the sloppier he played.

this may be a bit of a stretch but mike mccready of pearl jam is a led zeppelin fan. robert plant recently called him out for ripping off going to california, light heartedly of course.

everytime I listen to black dog from the song remains the same I cant help but hear a variance of the riff from pearl jams alive, at the very end of the song (at 5:18). what do you think?

Well folks, there is a lot of truth if you're noodling around on guitar for a blues based riff, a lot of it has been done already.  It truly is getting harder to come up with something that has never been "done" before.  (And you cannot copyright a chord progression - a melody and lyrics, yeah).

I come up with my own riffs and jam them - one was basically Smashing Pumpkins "Cherub Rock" -  yet as a blues purist snob in those days, I had never heard the Pumpkins tune.   A buddy of mine pointed it out to me.  Disheartening to a wannabe musician, to say the least.

D C G     Sweet Home Alabama,  Werewolves of London, Main Street (Bob Seger, but add an Em for transition after the G) ...    There ya go.

p.s.  No mention of Taurus and Stairway here ?   Here come the flames   ;-)    What Jimmy "borrowed" he made better.     And oh yeah, listen to Let it Grow by Clapton ...  toward the end ...  same progression as opening 12 bars of Stairway, up two whole steps to Bm. 

Remember, George Harrison got sued over My Sweet Lord and LOST ...

Well folks, there is a lot of truth if you're noodling around on guitar for a blues based riff, a lot of it has been done already.  It truly is getting harder to come up with something that has never been "done" before.  (And you cannot copyright a chord progression - a melody and lyrics, yeah).

I come up with my own riffs and jam them - one was basically Smashing Pumpkins "Cherub Rock" -  yet as a blues purist snob in those days, I had never heard the Pumpkins tune.   A buddy of mine pointed it out to me.  Disheartening to a wannabe musician, to say the least.

a friend of mine gave me some of his old recording from when he was young to see if I could make anything out of them because they were recorded horribly. I got them to where they were at least discernible. about a year later guns and roses released Chinese democracy and one of the songs had the same exact riff only slash played it a little slower.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

And I agree on the Zebra track. Always loved that one! Randy Jackson fronted a symphony doing Zep music as I recall a few years back!

This is much more tribute than rip-off.... 

well, the o.p. didn't specify what kind of material....I cant say whether or not jimmy page o.k.ed this, or if he would even have a say but they company that made this (obey) is owned by shepard fairey who was asked by jimmy page to design both the cover for mothership and celebration day.

33zft6s.png

2jbr6dc.png

2llg2eo.png

Archived