Montrose

Charles J. White

I was reminded about these guys recently, while many talk about Hager and Montrose they almost always forget the guy who kept the whole damn thing together: Denny Carmassi who is one the GREAT drummers of all time to my ears. I love his fills and mic job he does. He was also the man behind the skins of Coverdale Page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCsLtvyWqMg

Had the first album since whenever in the 1970's and it is a all time classic, albeit a bit short? Space Station Number 5 was staple fodder at the rock clubs I went to in the 70's. I saw Sammy Hagar a couple of times then also. I think it was the "Red" LP? Both shows were excellent. Def Leppard supported them on the 1978 tour. Great times, especially as I had front row stall tickets.

Had the first album since whenever in the 1970's and it is a all time classic, albeit a bit short? Space Station Number 5 was staple fodder at the rock clubs I went to in the 70's. I saw Sammy Hagar a couple of times then also. I think it was the "Red" LP? Both shows were excellent. Def Leppard supported them on the 1978 tour. Great times, especially as I had front row stall tickets.

Yeah, I saw Sammy with Nazereth and Mahogany Rush back around '77 or so at the Orlando Jai Alai Fronton..

Unbelievable show, Sammy played a lot of the Montrose stuff.

For anyone not familiar with Mahogany Rush, lead guitarist Frank Marino - like Robin Trower - was an avowed Hendrix protege, and he could definitely rip it up.

Probably the most memorable (a decidedly conflicting descriptor, to be sure) factor of the evening was how insanely high we got on Crystal T, or, more accurately, PCP.

Much of the evening was spent communicating through a series of hand gestures and telepathy, or so it seemed. LOL

This particular concert featured what I consider probably one of the top 3 coolest moments I've ever witnessed at a concert, which was Frank Marino performing an incredibly intense solo during the encore.

With a tight spotlight on him, he reached a crescendo of thundering feedback and suddenly removed the guitar, dropped it on the stage and stalked away.

The spotlight stayed on the motionless guitar as the feedback continued to roar throughout the venue for what had to be a couple of minutes, although my PCP-soaked brain had a hard time accurately framing the actual period of time.

Just when I didn't think I could handle things getting any louder, Frank Marino returned with a different guitar and continued wailing even more solo action with the first guitar still emitting background feedback.

It was a climax of PCP-fueled awesomeness that left us running through the parking lot across the hoods of cars and screaming like lunatics.

Definitely one of my favorite concert memories.

The evening even featured a Zeppelin side-note that helps frame how insanely fucked-up we were.

The car we went in had a Craig PowerPlay 8-track stereo that was pretty loud for back in the day, and it was wired directly to the fusebox, bypassing the ignition.

What that means is the stereo didn't turn off when you turned the car off.

We were jamming to Presence on the way to the show, and it was cranked up to the max.

After the concert, when we ran screaming through the parking lot and finally got back to the car, Presence was STILL pounding in the car AT FULL VOLUME!

When we opened the door and heard how loud it was playing, we fell out in laughter as we realized how that revealed how fucked-up we were to leave the stereo playing at full volume when we got to the concert. LOL

The 70s.

Good times.

Yeah, I saw Sammy with Nazereth and Mahogany Rush back around '77 or so at the Orlando Jai Alai Fronton..

Unbelievable show, Sammy played a lot of the Montrose stuff.

For anyone not familiar with Mahogany Rush, lead guitarist Frank Marino - like Robin Trower - was an avowed Hendrix protege, and he could definitely rip it up.

Probably the most memorable (a decidedly conflicting descriptor, to be sure) factor of the evening was how insanely high we got on Crystal T, or, more accurately, PCP.

Much of the evening was spent communicating through a series of hand gestures and telepathy, or so it seemed. LOL

This particular concert featured what I consider probably one of the top 3 coolest moments I've ever witnessed at a concert, which was Frank Marino performing an incredibly intense solo during the encore.

With a tight spotlight on him, he reached a crescendo of thundering feedback and suddenly removed the guitar, dropped it on the stage and stalked away.

The spotlight stayed on the motionless guitar as the feedback continued to roar throughout the venue for what had to be a couple of minutes, although my PCP-soaked brain had a hard time accurately framing the actual period of time.

Just when I didn't think I could handle things getting any louder, Frank Marino returned with a different guitar and continued wailing even more solo action with the first guitar still emitting background feedback.

It was a climax of PCP-fueled awesomeness that left us running through the parking lot across the hoods of cars and screaming like lunatics.

Definitely one of my favorite concert memories.

The evening even featured a Zeppelin side-note that helps frame how insanely fucked-up we were.

The car we went in had a Craig PowerPlay 8-track stereo that was pretty loud for back in the day, and it was wired directly to the fusebox, bypassing the ignition.

What that means is the stereo didn't turn off when you turned the car off.

We were jamming to Presence on the way to the show, and it was cranked up to the max.

After the concert, when we ran screaming through the parking lot and finally got back to the car, Presence was STILL pounding in the car AT FULL VOLUME!

When we opened the door and heard how loud it was playing, we fell out in laughter as we realized how that revealed how fucked-up we were to leave the stereo playing at full volume when we got to the concert. LOL

The 70s.

Good times.

:hysterical: Damn TypeO, that was hilarious! You guys are lucky you had your stereo rigged to bypass your ignition. Imagine coming out to a dead car battery?

A Jai Alai reference, too!!! Very 70s, hehe. God, Mahogany Rush was everywhere in the 70s...they were on countless festival bills and opened up for nearly everyone in those days. Definitely a Hendrix apostle.

If you get that Mahogany Rush live lp from the late 70s you here him do the crazy guitar dive bombing solo and then he finishes up with a great Purple Haze.That first Montrose lp is a killer, produced by Ted Templeton,who produced the Roth era Van Halen lps.Then Roths out, Hagars in,Templetons gone.Never found out why they got rid of ol Ted,those Van Hagar lps would have sounded a lot better than the over produced dross of 5150,OU812,etc

I was reminded about these guys recently, while many talk about Hager and Montrose they almost always forget the guy who kept the whole damn thing together: Denny Carmassi who is one the GREAT drummers of all time to my ears. I love his fills and mic job he does. He was also the man behind the skins of Coverdale Page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCsLtvyWqMg

The best part of this song is 3 min 16 to 3 min 50 it sounds great an example of not over the top cool sounding guitar.

• 8 months later...

Montrose was a great albeit short lived band. The first album is a hard rock classic. I saw Sammy on "That Metal Show" a few years back, & he mentioned he was still learning how to sing on that album. Paper Money was not as good, but it was their last studio effort with the original lineup.

Archived