The Ashes 2015

Reggie29

133 years ago the tradition and oldest sporting rivalry began when Australia beat the English at their own game, Cricket.

Bring it on!

First Test 8 - 12 July SWALEC Stadium, Cardiff, Wales

Second Test 16 - 20 July Lord's London

Third Test 29 July - 2 August Egbaston, Birmingham

Fourth Test 6 - 10 August Trent Bridge, Nottingham

Fifth Test 20 - 24 August The Oval, London

Still no matches at Old Trafford?

• 3 weeks later...

133 years ago the tradition and oldest sporting rivalry began when Australia beat the English at their own game, Cricket.

Bring it on!

First Test 8 - 12 July SWALEC Stadium, Cardiff, Wales

Second Test 16 - 20 July Lord's London

Third Test 29 July - 2 August Egbaston, Birmingham

Fourth Test 6 - 10 August Trent Bridge, Nottingham

Fifth Test 20 - 24 August The Oval, London

Still no matches at Old Trafford?

Oh yes it does start tomorrow in WALES. Yet again the ECB have given a test match to Cardiff. Quite why I don't know. The last time Cardiff had a test it was beyond dull and I guess it won't have changed. A lifeless pitch played to a crowd whose agenda is to get pissed - that's of course if our wonderful summer weather actually resembles cricketing conditions. I suspect not. I hope the Aussies have their thermals on cos it will be bitter - like Tassie in the winter.

Ah then there's Old Trafford ! Steeped in history. Laker's 10 wickets in an innings. Warney's ball of the century to Gatting, the packed out enthusiastic crowd of the last day of the 2005 series - queuing ( as is our national pastime) for that final Sunday as Glenn Magrath keeps out that last over. Arguably one of the best test wickets in the country. No it just doesn't cut the mustard with those wankers at the ECB - you see it's too far north. You actually expect that the ECB to give a test match the THE NORTH. Never happen. The ECB consider Cardiff a better option than OT and Headingley ? Hilarious.

My prediction - Australia to win - buy a country mile. From what I have been reading the England team is far to inexperienced. Maybe the building blocks of the future but certainly no match for the baggy greens

Cardiff: A dull draw as the weather brings on the covers more often than not. Sales of Bovril and blankets reach sell out point

Lords: A ground where Australia relish and England end up the burnt burger. Expect glorious conditions and at the only ground where members can bring their own drinks and behave in a manner suited to the venue. Lots of toffs nodding off as the Australians pile on the runs and the English capitulate. TV coverage spans over the only City ( apparently) this country has to offer and basically sticks 2 fingers to anywhere north of Islington. An Aussie win.

Trent Bridge: A toss ground on a pitch that can produce oodles of runs. Who can forget Ponting offering the batting to England 10 years ago only to see 400 plus on the board at the end of the first day? Most of the fans will get bored and the programme will start with a map showing exactly where Nottingham is in relation to London. An Aussie win here too

Edgbaston: No, this is a test ground. Much more like it. The ground evokes a lot of memories and the crowd treat it like a football match. Passionate and noisy it has fantastic atmosphere. Not that the ECB will like that. Oh no. Freddie's handshake to Brett Lee? Jones's catch to win the match? The greatest test match ever? You better believe it. Again the coverage will start with a guide to where Birmingham is and that London is getting seriously itchy as to why any test matches are played anywhere else. This is our best bet for a win but I suspect a draw or an Aussie win

The Oval: :zzz: . Whoever wins the toss here can bat for 3 days and go to the bar. Beyond dull. Why does the final test have to played here? A bore draw is expected. But by this time the Aussies will be celebrating and the English whining on about sledgeing ( and that was not because of the sleet in Cardiff) and that Moheen Ali shaved his beard off and he had downed too many Lemonades so couldn't turn the ball.

So to sum up: Australians 3 England 0 with a couple of draws.

Don't be too down on your lot, CP. There is a lot of Cricket to be played.

Why Pietersen is on the outer is a mystery and he is a big loss to England IMO.

He provided a bit of mongrel and is / was one of the few batsmen able to get under the skin of bowlers.

I just hope with all the good form coming into this tour, we haven't peaked just yet.

Beating the Windies at home was a good result and Smith is in good form but as is the case in years gone by, it'll come down to who bowls the better.

Good luck and let's see some good matches.

Don't be too down on your lot, CP. There is a lot of Cricket to be played.

Why Pietersen is on the outer is a mystery and he is a big loss to England IMO.

He provided a bit of mongrel and is / was one of the few batsmen able to get under the skin of bowlers.

I just hope with all the good form coming into this tour, we haven't peaked just yet.

Beating the Windies at home was a good result and Smith is in good form but as is the case in years gone by, it'll come down to who bowls the better.

Good luck and let's see some good matches.

I am not being too down on our team Reggie. As I say youthful gusto is one thing but experience is all important when it comes to the Ashes. Ryan Harris was a shock but I believe the Aussies are far too strong in the batting department. I am, of course, looking forward to the contest and will be cheering for our boys. Yes we have solid bowlers and a spinner or two who can bat and I would like to think Ben Stokes could be the thorn in your side but we'll see.

As far as KP is concerned. Never was gonna happen. Andrew Strauss' appointment as Director of Cricket put paid to that. He hates KP and has let all the world know it. I like KP. He gives it 110% but there's no going back.

2 down before we reach 50. Not sure why we batted first as there seems to be a bit of swing, but losing Cook to a fairly innocuous delivery is very disappointing. If we lose another wicket or 2 before lunch, I will be doing the cleaning.

Update: Pass me the Cloths and polish

2 down before we reach 50. Not sure why we batted first as there seems to be a bit of swing, but losing Cook to a fairly innocuous delivery is very disappointing. If we lose another wicket or 2 before lunch, I will be doing the cleaning.

Update: Pass me the Cloths and polish

Good news, CP. Just put down the cloth and polish and go back to cheering England. as evidenced by Ballance and Root steadying the innings! Just keep the faith! :)

Oh yes it does start tomorrow in WALES. Yet again the ECB have given a test match to Cardiff. Quite why I don't know. The last time Cardiff had a test it was beyond dull and I guess it won't have changed. A lifeless pitch played to a crowd whose agenda is to get pissed - that's of course if our wonderful summer weather actually resembles cricketing conditions. I suspect not. I hope the Aussies have their thermals on cos it will be bitter - like Tassie in the winter.

Ah then there's Old Trafford ! Steeped in history. Laker's 10 wickets in an innings. Warney's ball of the century to Gatting, the packed out enthusiastic crowd of the last day of the 2005 series - queuing ( as is our national pastime) for that final Sunday as Glenn Magrath keeps out that last over. Arguably one of the best test wickets in the country. No it just doesn't cut the mustard with those wankers at the ECB - you see it's too far north. You actually expect that the ECB to give a test match the THE NORTH. Never happen. The ECB consider Cardiff a better option than OT and Headingley ? Hilarious.

My prediction - Australia to win - buy a country mile. From what I have been reading the England team is far to inexperienced. Maybe the building blocks of the future but certainly no match for the baggy greens

Cardiff: A dull draw as the weather brings on the covers more often than not. Sales of Bovril and blankets reach sell out point

Lords: A ground where Australia relish and England end up the burnt burger. Expect glorious conditions and at the only ground where members can bring their own drinks and behave in a manner suited to the venue. Lots of toffs nodding off as the Australians pile on the runs and the English capitulate. TV coverage spans over the only City ( apparently) this country has to offer and basically sticks 2 fingers to anywhere north of Islington. An Aussie win.

Trent Bridge: A toss ground on a pitch that can produce oodles of runs. Who can forget Ponting offering the batting to England 10 years ago only to see 400 plus on the board at the end of the first day? Most of the fans will get bored and the programme will start with a map showing exactly where Nottingham is in relation to London. An Aussie win here too

Edgbaston: No, this is a test ground. Much more like it. The ground evokes a lot of memories and the crowd treat it like a football match. Passionate and noisy it has fantastic atmosphere. Not that the ECB will like that. Oh no. Freddie's handshake to Brett Lee? Jones's catch to win the match? The greatest test match ever? You better believe it. Again the coverage will start with a guide to where Birmingham is and that London is getting seriously itchy as to why any test matches are played anywhere else. This is our best bet for a win but I suspect a draw or an Aussie win

The Oval: :zzz: . Whoever wins the toss here can bat for 3 days and go to the bar. Beyond dull. Why does the final test have to played here? A bore draw is expected. But by this time the Aussies will be celebrating and the English whining on about sledgeing ( and that was not because of the sleet in Cardiff) and that Moheen Ali shaved his beard off and he had downed too many Lemonades so couldn't turn the ball.

So to sum up: Australians 3 England 0 with a couple of draws.

Oh I wish I was born a gambling man. I mean the pitch has as much life as a Coldplay album. It certainly has made the Aussie bowlers like pretty ordinary. Joe Root and Gary Ballance have looked comfortable and I just can't see a result here, even if England made 600. This just isn't a Test match wicket and Cardiff should never have been given the opener. Old Trafford must be seething !

Oh I wish I was born a gambling man. I mean the pitch has as much life as a Coldplay album. It certainly has made the Aussie bowlers like pretty ordinary. Joe Root and Gary Ballance have looked comfortable and I just can't see a result here, even if England made 600. This just isn't a Test match wicket and Cardiff should never have been given the opener. Old Trafford must be seething !

Ballance looked good but it was only a matter of time before he went.

Root has certainly improved and seems a lot more patient with his shot selection this time around.

I have mixed feelings at the moment, he deserved to get a ton but I want to see the back of him too.

Ballance looked good but it was only a matter of time before he went.

Root has certainly improved and seems a lot more patient with his shot selection this time around.

I have mixed feelings at the moment, he deserved to get a ton but I want to see the back of him too.

Well you have Reggie !! I suppose on balance it's pretty even. Fancy Jimmy to swing the ball if conditions are favourable tomorrow. I reckon on England to get @ 400 + and a draw is on the cards. Weather looks good for tomorrow and Friday but a bit mixed for the weekend

Well you have Reggie !! I suppose on balance it's pretty even. Fancy Jimmy to swing the ball if conditions are favourable tomorrow. I reckon on England to get @ 400 + and a draw is on the cards. Weather looks good for tomorrow and Friday but a bit mixed for the weekend

Hopefully the weather won't have any influence on the game.

Knocking over the tail within the first hour will help and then for Australia to score 300 by stumps.

Easier said than done though.

First hour gone and the Poms continue to pile on the runs. There is swing and turn so expect a fascinating days play. Mitchell Johnson - not having a good test match. 430 all out. Looking forward to seeing what the Baggies have to offer. Well done Starc 5 wickets in the face of adversity

Morning Reggie. Morning Jules

eemmmmm maybe my early predictions have proved unfounded. England have played magnificently and the Aussies have floundered. What was Smith doing? If we wrap it up cheaply this morning and get, say 300 on the board, I reckon it's one up to the Poms. Let me humour you:

" He bowls to the left, he bowls to the right.

There's only one Mitchell Johnson, and he's bowling is shite!"

0-111 the worst figures for 30 years by an Aussie in an Ashes test.

Takes your seats for a very interesting day.

Morning Reggie. Morning Jules

eemmmmm maybe my early predictions have proved unfounded. England have played magnificently and the Aussies have floundered. What was Smith doing? If we wrap it up cheaply this morning and get, say 300 on the board, I reckon it's one up to the Poms. Let me humour you:

" He bowls to the left, he bowls to the right.

There's only one Mitchell Johnson, and he's bowling is shite!"

0-111 the worst figures for 30 years by an Aussie in an Ashes test.

Takes your seats for a very interesting day.

Too early to call but my tip is a draw..

It seems to be a batters wicket as Englands bowlers haven't done much better.

England scored their runs in 100 overs give or take and Australia in 60 overs so far.

Both teams over rates are appalling and it wouldn't surprise if they are both fined by the ICC.

The worst thing the Poms can do is write Johnson off and while he hasn't been at his best so far there is another innings and four tests to go.

As for Smith it was uncommon impatience that got himself out and it is only a blip on the radar and I doubt we'll see that agin this series.

Haddin can score runs and our tail is stronger (on paper), so I expect Australia to score 420+ by lunch and Clarke to declare.

If that's the way it pans out England will play for a draw and Clarke will risk a loss to win the match.

Should be an intriguing first session.

England lead by 271 at Tea. I would very surprised if it's a draw. England should be favourites at this stage. I can't see the Aussies making 400 + in the final innings. My bet is that England will set 500 and will wrap it up by close Saturday.

Johnson still wickeless

England lead by 271 at Tea. I would very surprised if it's a draw. England should be favourites at this stage. I can't see the Aussies making 400 + in the final innings. My bet is that England will set 500 and will wrap it up by close Saturday.

Johnson still wickeless

420 with six full sessions of play remaining (at an average of 70 runs per session) is very gettable, providing the pitch holds out and Australia can bat on after making starts.

Once again England collapsed. Getting bowled out in two sessions, unfortunately they couldn't put on 500 or batted on into tomorrow until at least lunch.

Clarke will go for the win but a draw is still the likely outcome.

I'm not ruling out England but with two full days to bat the pressure is squarely on the bowlers for England to win at home.

The bowling from both sides has been about equal with England ahead in the batting, so far.

Mitchell finally got one and Bell was amongst the runs again, albeit a shortlived 50.

Tomorrow's play will be very interesting.

Can't see the Aussies winning Reggie. We have exploited the new ball fantastically well - especially yesterday. Overcast conditions forecast today so that is going to be a big plus. A wet day Sunday so I think the plan was get the runs on the board and bowl well today. Tis a shame I will be out golfing much of today so I will miss most of the action. As you say a very interesting day ahead

Archived