New Album

Dharmabum

I completely agree, and said the same thing in another thread. There is no guarantee that a new album would be any good, let alone to the standard they have already set for themselves. The responses I got were "How could it not be good, it's Zeppelin!!!" or "Jimmy wouldn't release an album that's crap." Knee jerk responses like that are just nonsense IMO.

I hate to break it to all the fanboys out there who think it's impossible for them to lay an egg but... The odds are against them putting out a new album that measures up to what they did in the 60's and 70's. And unfortunately that is the standard that they will be expected to live up to.

That's just the way it is in the music biz, there is a creative window that all the legendary songwriters go through, and it's like catching lightning in a bottle. It seems as these once brilliant songwriters get older the creative well runs dry. I have always wondered why that happens, but it does and there are plenty of examples to support my claim. I think being in the right place at the right time with the right message has allot to do with it.

If they decide to get together and do something as a band again, I think they need to try out a new song or two in a live show to gauge the reaction and go from there. The best we could hope for IMO is for one or two songs that measure up to the standard, and not an entire album. If Jimmy has some magical riffs stored away for a rainy day, now is the time to break them out.

I have to disagree with you a little bit. You make it sound like anything they do thats new will not be good and i don't think that's true. Together and individually these guys have put out music that I and many others have enjoyed very much and thats what it is all about. Making music for people to enjoy if they so choose. To compare them or anyone with what they have done in the past is pointless and does not serve any use. If people couldn't listen to new music by Zeppelin and enjoy it for what it is without comparing it to Physical Graffiti or whatever then that is sad for them. Zeppelin has always been about doing things on their terms, changing things up a little bit and I hope they do it again. What is laying an egg? record sales? who cares if they top the Billboard top 40 , not me. I just want to hear my favorite musicians and band do something new and exciting

I think had Walking Into Clarksdale never happened, prospects would be better. I think Robert is a little wary about a new album because of how poorly that was received. Whether it's justified or not, in the eyes of the public, it sent the message that the members of Zeppelin can't come together and write music that compares favorably to the past. So if they put the LZ imprint on it then certain expectations have to be met. They have to really rise to the occasion and have something to say creatively. I know Robert got pretty decent reviews for Mighty Rearranger, but Raising Sand is nothing but a very well crafted series of cover tunes. Yet it's being promoted as a bold musical statement.

I believe the best way to go would be to call it something different than Led Zeppelin yet maybe related to a phrase or something relevant of the past (associated) if they ever did another album together. Not to say that thay are not confident and capable enough to write great material, but I believe they would let Zeppelin be what it was and call it something else , so not to tamper with a spectacular catalouge of music. The album would have to be incredible for them to want to consider adding it to the legacy name. I think Plant in general would suggest a new name, and direction, and it would be wise. I'm sure it would also be a phenomenal album. we'll just have to see, right.

*restraining self from litany of cursing* Jimmy himself has said as much as this on many occasions, so I'm sure I don't know what you mean by "fantasy novels." And I hate to break it to you, but he's right and you're just plain wrong. Why are you even here if this is what you think?

And could everyone else piss off with the negativity about a new album? Cheers.

It doesn't matter who said it, it doesn't make it true. If Jimmy said the world was flat some people on this board would take it to heart. The fact is they were equal to the sum of their parts, there was nothing supernatural going on here or in any other band. Jimmy may be a respectable man, but that doesn't mean you or I or anyone else has to believe what he says is always true. Just because he thinks there's a supernatural force involved in the band doesn't mean it's so. So you can say I'm wrong, but this just means you aren't thinking critically.

It doesn't matter who said it, it doesn't make it true. If Jimmy said the world was flat some people on this board would take it to heart. The fact is they were equal to the sum of their parts, there was nothing supernatural going on here or in any other band. Jimmy may be a respectable man, but that doesn't mean you or I or anyone else has to believe what he says is always true. Just because he thinks there's a supernatural force involved in the band doesn't mean it's so. So you can say I'm wrong, but this just means you aren't thinking critically.

I wasn't saying one should take whatever Jimmy says as the gospel truth, which would be obvious to anyone who read what I said carefully--I was responding to your 'fantasy novel' nonsense and then adding my opinion that I happen to think he's right in this instance. And I don't really want to have any more debate about it with you since you clearly lack imagination.

Well said, zooma, btw.

I wasn't saying one should take whatever Jimmy says as the gospel truth, which would be obvious to anyone who read what I said carefully--I was responding to your 'fantasy novel' nonsense and then adding my opinion that I happen to think he's right in this instance. And I don't really want to have any more debate about it with you since you clearly lack imagination.

Well said, zooma, btw.

I don't think it's an issue of me lacking imagination, I think you are just incapable of controlling yours.

Every band I've ever heard has made their own ridiculous claims to having some magical connection, and while it's good PR, it is what it is, fantasy. I don't know why so many people cling onto these ridiculous ideas of magic "greater than the sum of their parts" claims. They were just a group of talented people who used their talents effectively. Nothing more.

I happen to agree with Jimmy that the music of Zeppelin "took on a fifth element" (his words). I do think critcally and I know they are things that happen in life that are not explained in full and we do not know everything there is to know. The music of Zeppelin especially live has touched a place in my soul that no other music has come close to and I can't explain it. Other bands and music sound good to me and I enjoy it but it doesn't bring me to the same place Zeppelin does. I don't take the opinions others as pure truth,including Jimmy. but the music doesn't lie, at least to me.

It would be odd if they toured without new material. Jimmy said a few years ago when the question of touring was raised in relation to HTWWW and the dvd that he thought it wouldn't be right to tour on 30+ -year-old material and that he'd be pretty "scathing" if another band did. Plus he's mentioned the possibility of writing with LZ several times now--there's a great little interview here from bbc online where he says they'd have had two albums done by now if he hadn't broken his finger.

Whenever Page and Plant collaborate it's magical (I happen to love WIC and NQ), so with the addition of Jason and Jonesey, I'm sure we'll be in for something truly cosmic.

This makes sense to me as a fan.

I happen to agree with Jimmy that the music of Zeppelin "took on a fifth element" (his words). I do think critcally and I know they are things that happen in life that are not explained in full and we do not know everything there is to know. The music of Zeppelin especially live has touched a place in my soul that no other music has come close to and I can't explain it. Other bands and music sound good to me and I enjoy it but it doesn't bring me to the same place Zeppelin does. I don't take the opinions others as pure truth,including Jimmy. but the music doesn't lie, at least to me.

Well then we'll just have to agree to disagree, because the idea still sounds childish to me and it seems you hold onto it nonetheless.

Well then we'll just have to agree to disagree, because the idea still sounds childish to me and it seems you hold onto it nonetheless.

Why are the ideas of others childish just because you don't share them?

How else do you describe believing in magic?

Who called it magic? not me. When I think of magic I think of David Copperfield and his tricks. What the music of Zeppelin has meant for me goes beyond words.

How else do you describe believing in magic?

You can deride magic, whatever you mean by it, all you like. Quite a predictable mode of being, really (and Who fandom does seem to inspire it, strangely). Personally, I feel saddened that someone so closed-minded feels free to contribute to the forum of a band whose members individually and together have constantly reached towards the metaphysical in their work.

Oh, and my critical thinking skills are well-established, mate.

Simple solution for a new album: Pull another "Led Zeppelin IV" and release the album with no title.

[/

What purpose would that do? they did that once. what really matters at least to me is that they do another album of new MUSIC.

You can deride magic, whatever you mean by it, all you like. Quite a predictable mode of being, really (and Who fandom does seem to inspire it, strangely).

Really? And where does this inspired revelation come from? It appears you've used your imagination once again.

Personally, I feel saddened that someone so closed-minded feels free to contribute to the forum of a band whose members individually and together have constantly reached towards the metaphysical in their work.

Metaphysical? I'm sorry, but it's MUSIC which is many things but not metaphysical.

Oh, and my critical thinking skills are well-established, mate.

Could have fooled me.

From the American Heritage dictionary:

1.Of or relating to metaphysics.

2.Based on speculative or abstract reasoning.

3.Highly abstract or theoretical; abstruse.

4.Immaterial; incorporeal. See Synonyms at immaterial.

Supernatural

a lot of Zeppelin's music sounds like this to me. I don't always understand the metaphysical part of the music but I love and accept it.

Archived