The Beatles thread

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

From Salon.com:

Was John Lennon a secret Reaganite?

The rock icon's one-time assistant says yes, but the historical record suggests otherwise

BY JUSTIN ELLIOTT

md_horiz.jpg

John Lennon and Ronald Reagan

WIkipedia/Jack Mitchell/The White House

The right-leaning media is aflutter today with the news that, according to a one-time assistant to John Lennon, the rock icon in the final months of his life privately came out as a supporter of Ronald Reagan. But there's strong evidence that, despite the new claim, Lennon never abandoned his left-wing roots.

To read the article click here.

• 5 months later...

^^^They did a good job with "Nowhere Boy". It's up there with that movie about Stu and Astrid...can't recall the name but Stephen Dorff and the girl who played Laura Palmer in Twin Peaks is in it...as far as non-documentary films about the Beatles go, those are two of the best.

^^^They did a good job with "Nowhere Boy". It's up there with that movie about Stu and Astrid...can't recall the name but Stephen Dorff and the girl who played Laura Palmer in Twin Peaks is in it...as far as non-documentary films about the Beatles go, those are two of the best.

If you're referring to Backbeat that was probably my favorite. They also assembled one hell of a band to play on the soundtrack.

I also finally got around to seeing Across the Universe this year. I thought that was very well done especially considering the overall concept left plenty of room for failure but the filmmakers really pulled it off.

The Backbeat band:

Dave Pirner (Soul Asylum): vocals

Greg Dulli (The Afghan Whigs): vocals

Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth): guitar

Don Fleming (Gumball): guitar

Mike Mills (R.E.M.): bass guitar

Dave Grohl (Nirvana/Foo Fighters): drums

Wow, really? Quite the lineup there, I had no idea Thurston Moore was part of this......

The Backbeat band:

Dave Pirner (Soul Asylum): vocals

Greg Dulli (The Afghan Whigs): vocals

Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth): guitar

Don Fleming (Gumball): guitar

Mike Mills (R.E.M.): bass guitar

Dave Grohl (Nirvana/Foo Fighters): drums

Wow, really? Quite the lineup there, I had no idea Thurston Moore was part of this......

Yes, indeed. I need to pick up both the movie and soundtrack at some point.

I've Been a Zepp Fan Since Day 1.

Then like 10 years ago I first heard the Beatles, they blew my mind.

My opinion, if it matters, is that Zepp is the DIRECT offspring of the Beatles.

The Beatles recorded "Helter Skelter" on the Day Zepp. started on LZ1.

They use similar recording ideas too.

They were also both the top rated band of their era.

Well, overall here's my top 10 bands

10. Blue Oyster Cult

9. Jimi Hendrix Experience

8. The Rolling Stones

7. Rush (gotta love 2112)

6. Aerosmith

5. The Beach Boys (Come on guys! Pet sounds is incredible!)

4. Wings

3. Queen

2. Led Zeppelin

1. The Beatles.

Notice that almost all the bands on the list came AFTER the Beatles.

That Just shows the revolution in music the Beatles caused.

I totally agree with your top 3, I think those three(Led Zep, Queen, and Beatles) are the best bands in History.

i love the beatles. i listen to them as much as lz. my parents always had the beatles playing in the car when i was a kid and those are some of my best memories growing up. my parents had a big album stereo player that was a giant peice of furntiture that opened up from the top to access the turntable. i remember listening to sgt. pepper over and over again when we would take road trips. those things leave an imprint in my mind. i think the reason for their success is due to the type of songs they wrote because so many people from every culture enjoys their music in some way. the are what i like to call the most people friendly band. i also love lz equally for some of the same reasons and indifferences to the beatles. i love them both and it's fun to just get lost in their music. could you imagine if the beatles and lz had toured together? talk about mind-altering. lz was just as influential in the 70's as the beatles were in the 60's and both bands music will stand the test of time because it's just simply great. i can't imagine a world without having the freedom to listen to them whenever i feel the need.

70c8810ae7a05fc5c0050210.L.jpg

I'm sure I heard the Beatles before this but my love affair with them began in earnest with this album, which I heard for the first time during a month long trip to Europe back in 1972. One of my older brothers purchased this and Led Zeppelin IV on cassette while we were over there and neither of them rarely ever left the cassette deck during our travels. To this day, whenever I hear a track from either one, it takes me right back to that family trip. I'm sure my brother also had some other tapes along on the trip such as something by Grand Funk Railroad (I can't think of the name of the album) but it's the Beatles and Zeppelin tapes that stand out in my memory.

Sadly this Hey Jude LP has been lost to time. What was cool about that album was it took their singles and put them on a 33 1/3 LP. The fidelity leap (well with what I had at the time anyway) was a remarkable thing. It was a nice little collection of tunes for its' time.

Sadly this Hey Jude LP has been lost to time. What was cool about that album was it took their singles and put them on a 33 1/3 LP. The fidelity leap (well with what I had at the time anyway) was a remarkable thing. It was a nice little collection of tunes for its' time.

I know all I have to do is make a mix of those songs on CD (or as a playlist in iTunes) but it would still be cool if this was reissued on CD. I believe it has actually come out in that format over the years but only as a very pricey import.

A friend of mine brought over his Apple USB stick containing 24 bit remasters of the entire Beatles catalogue. The fidelity is staggering, I've never heard the 24 bit versions before. Apparently their entire catalogue was remastered to 24 bit but then dithered down to 16 bit for CD release. What you're hearing here is the original audio restoration as intended.

That's too hi fi geek even for me, sorry but.............it is a remarkable listening experience.

http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-USB/dp/B002VH7P4O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323983101&sr=8-1

I saw one of these years ago at a Turtles Music location outside of Athens, GA but couldn't afford it at the time. A few short years later I saw another one at Wherehouse Music in Jacksonville, NC. Wherehouse (an offshoot of Turtles, Tracks and Record Bar) was going out of business so it was markedly down considerably. I couldn't resist and picked up one. These are the original remastered versions so I haven't even bothered with the new ones that came out a few years ago. I'm sure at some point I will buy them but at present I'm in no real hurry to do so.

519467b.jpg

Edited by Jahfin

Without The Beatles, well I wouldn't have given my ears the chance to fully experience Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Jimi Hendrix, AC/DC and many other classic rock bands! The Beatles is what got me away from most of the dreadful music that's played on some of the radio stations :mellow:. My favourite album is Revolver, I believe that was the peak of their careers, using new studio techniques (mainly back-masking) and a album with themes not entirely themed towards love, as with Rubber Soul, which is possibly my 3rd favourite (Sgt. Peppers is 2nd). It also was the border between their psychedelic era and their mop-top suit era (if that's what you call it).

I also agree with George Harrison's opinion on the idea that Rubber Soul and Revolver were like volume 1 and 2, with the main idea that RS has more acoustic songs 'Norwegian Wood' and 'In My Life' are possible examples. Revolver was, for the majority, electric 'She Said, She Said' could be an example for this. On a final note, without The Beatles, I wouldn't be on this forum, writing about this. So, that could be a good thing (I hope).

• 3 weeks later...