Jimmy & Art school

Cactus

• 2 weeks later...
Did Jimmy continue to paint after art school and has anyone seen any of his work?

Sorry for dredging up an oldish thread but this interests me as well.

I remember reading some discussion about the 'Barrington Colby' guy who did the Hermit painting for the fourth album. The gist of it was that no-one had managed to find any other works by him or any other information and it was speculated that BC might have been a pseudonym for Jimmy.

I personally doubt he'd have had the time to do it, though.

He just gave it up. He got too busy in music already in 1964-65. If I remember correctly he thinks himself that he lacks the craftsmanship and skill that he otherwise appreciates in paintings. As we all know he is a long time admirer of the Pre-Raphaelite painters especially, and that can give some idea as to what he means.

I remember reading some discussion about the 'Barrington Colby' guy who did the Hermit painting for the fourth album. The gist of it was that no-one had managed to find any other works by him or any other information and it was speculated that BC might have been a pseudonym for Jimmy.

Robert and I came up with the design of IV together. Robert had actually bought the print that is on the cover from a junk shop in Reading. We then came up with the idea of having the picture--the man with the sticks--represent the old way on a demolished building, with the new way coming up behind it. The illustration on the inside was my idea. It is the Hermit character from the Tarot, a symbol of self-reliance and wisdom, and it was drawn by Barrington Colby. The typeface for the lyrics to "Stairway To Heaven" was also my contribution. I found it in a really old arts and crafts magazine called Studio, which started in the late 1800's. I thought the lettering was so interesting I got someone to work up a whole alphabet. --Jimmy Page

I happen to think Jimmy may have also produced the print on the cover, as it depicts an

occult figure, but that's the 64,000 pound elephant in the living room you don't talk about.

Here is one example of Jimmy's poetry from the early 70s which was auctioned off:

Betwixt the darkness and the dawn

Me thought I lost me lady from me arm

Robert and I came up with the design of IV together. Robert had actually bought the print that is on the cover from a junk shop in Reading. We then came up with the idea of having the picture--the man with the sticks--represent the old way on a demolished building, with the new way coming up behind it. The illustration on the inside was my idea. It is the Hermit character from the Tarot, a symbol of self-reliance and wisdom, and it was drawn by Barrington Colby. The typeface for the lyrics to "Stairway To Heaven" was also my contribution. I found it in a really old arts and crafts magazine called Studio, which started in the late 1800's. I thought the lettering was so interesting I got someone to work up a whole alphabet. --Jimmy Page

I happen to think Jimmy may have also produced the print on the cover, as it depicts an

occult figure, but that's the 64,000 pound elephant in the living room you don't talk about.

Here is a one example of Jimmy's poetry from the early 70s:

That's fascinating! I wasn't aware he'd written poetry. Thank you Steve - you really are a goldmine of interesting facts! :thumbsup:

Did Jimmy continue to paint after art school and has anyone seen any of his work?

I don't think he did- at least while he was in Zep. He most likely didn't have the time, art is a very time consuming thing and when you don't have the time to finish something it seems it just dies- at least that's what happens to me and art. Maybe post Zep he could've started again- but I've never heard anything about it before but he did have the time then.

Didn't he paint one of his guitars that he used in the early days of Zep?

Yes, he did. That was a Fender Telecaster that Jeff Beck gave him in 1966, when he was in the Yardbirds, and it was still Jimmy's main guitar in the early days of Led Zeppelin.

This is how the guitar looked when Jimmy first got it - he removed those black dots, and then painted it.

76efd562.jpg

JOR003_YARDBIRDS_6.jpg

95e2ad5d.jpg

83814dj.jpg

That's fascinating! I wasn't aware he'd written poetry. Thank you Steve - you really are a goldmine of interesting facts! :thumbsup:

I remember reading an interview where Jimmy said that he did write the earlier songs, but he wanted Robert to write them. Then I read somewhere else that Jimmy and Bonzo would disappear while Robert and Jonesie wrote song Lyrics. By the time Jimmy and Jonesie came back, the song was done. Even now, I can tell which songs were written by robert. His songs are a bit -explicit, shall we say?

I believe JP was at art school at the same time as both Sandy Denny and John Renbourn, maybe Jeff Beck too. Can anyone confirm this? (I know he and Beck go waaaaay back).

Ric

He knew Beck earlier than that, even as far back as High School i believe.

Here is one example of Jimmy's poetry from the early 70s which was auctioned off:

That's very interesting. I was also unaware he wrote poetry. Just curious, where did you see this?

That's very interesting. I was also unaware he wrote poetry. Just curious, where did you see this?

That passage of poetry was auctioned off well over 20 years ago. For all I know he

gave it to some girl as a love note and she sold it. I seem to recall it was authentic.

I believe JP was at art school at the same time as both Sandy Denny and John Renbourn, maybe Jeff Beck too. Can anyone confirm this? (I know he and Beck go waaaaay back).

Ric

The way I heard Jimmy put it in an Interview, Jeff's sister went to school wigh Jimmy. One day she came home and told Jeff there was "This bloke that I go to school with, and he plays guitar like yours". Well, when Jeff heard that, he asked his sister where he lived, and then he went to his house, and the rest is history. So you can thank Jeff's sister for getting them together. I think they were 13 or 14 at the time. Son't quote me on that, though.

Talk about B.F.F.!

Archived