Song Remains the Same Re-Issue - No Quarter

joncl

1 hour ago, Ian Smith said:

I am just learning about this, what is the time on the FULL version so I can look for it. 

I have TSRTS 2018 remaster (?) and it clocks in at 10:38. Can someone steer me to full version? Many Thanks. 

19 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

I am just learning about this, what is the time on the FULL version so I can look for it. 

I have TSRTS 2018 remaster (?) and it clocks in at 10:38. Can someone steer me to full version? Many Thanks. 

You will have to get the original 1976 album release to hear it. Page butchered the remaster, only he knows why? As an aside, the horrendous release of How The West Was Won is best listened to in Bootleg form "Burn Like A Candle". Genuine Masters version of that 1972 LA show is fabulous

2 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

You will have to get the original 1976 album release to hear it. Page butchered the remaster, only he knows why? As an aside, the horrendous release of How The West Was Won is best listened to in Bootleg form "Burn Like A Candle". Genuine Masters version of that 1972 LA show is fabulous

Many thanks for helping me out. I found the 76 album version and No Quarter indeed clocks in at over 2 minutes longer than the reissues. 

Now I am running to look for Burn Like a Candle. 

Much appreciated my friend. 

41 minutes ago, Ian Smith said:

Many thanks for helping me out. I found the 76 album version and No Quarter indeed clocks in at over 2 minutes longer than the reissues. 

Now I am running to look for Burn Like a Candle. 

Much appreciated my friend. 

Here you go. Listen to this loud on a good Hi Fi and tell me which is better, the official release or this?

6 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

Here you go. Listen to this loud on a good Hi Fi and tell me which is better, the official release or this?

Just listened to a bit of this on my real good headphones and it is amazing!!!!!! Now I have to find it........ Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...

The issue is zep doesn’t own the copyrights to the film - it is in a legal tangle, which means the footage is sort of held hostage.  They did have the rights to a frame for frame remaster, but not to recut.

so they decided in 2007 to re-edit the music to better match the footage, and to make one canonical version.  

unless something changes on the legal front, they can’t recut and make a new version of the film, and there doesn’t seem to be any indication on their end for fixing no quarter.  That sly lick leading into page’s solo is one of his coolest, it sucks there is a whole generation that doesn’t know it unless they’ve sought it out! 

Still can't quite believe that Kevin Shirley not only thought that he could improve Bonham's drum sound (!), but that he could faff about with the recording to make the drumming tighter!? Huh? The absolute deluded cheek of the bastd. Still remember the relief back in 2018 when Shirley said that he wasn't involved in any live releases that may have been planned for Zeppelin's 50th anniversary. Honestly, I'd sooner have no new live album than one that Kevin Shirley'd ruined!

Edited by Brigante

9 hours ago, Brigante said:

Still can't quite believe that Kevin Shirley not only thought that he could improve Bonham's drum sound (!), but that he could faff about with the recording to make the drumming tighter!? Huh? The absolute deluded cheek of the bastd. Still remember the relief back in 2018 when Shirley said that he wasn't involved in any live releases that may have been planned for Zeppelin's 50th anniversary. Honestly, I'd sooner have no new live album than one that Kevin Shirley'd ruined!

I agree but presumably Page signed it off, so he’s no better.

the worst edited album I’ve ever heard in my life. I’m 57 and have never heard anything as shit as the edits in NQ, WLL and D&C. They might not have been able to do much with the film bu that’s no reason to fuck up the accompanying album

57 minutes ago, jsj said:

I agree but presumably Page signed it off, so he’s no better.

the worst edited album I’ve ever heard in my life. I’m 57 and have never heard anything as shit as the edits in NQ, WLL and D&C. They might not have been able to do much with the film bu that’s no reason to fuck up the accompanying album

sadly, it seems this may never be rectified.

If there are indeed any future live releases, I hope Bob Clearmountain does the mixes. He has done a fantastic job on the Stones releases. The Sam Wheat ones... Well, lets not get into those. Absolutely terrible!

• 11 months later...
On 06/07/2018 at 01:00, chef free said:

Qu'est-ce qui ne va pas avec Jimmy Page ? Y a-t-il quelqu'un sur ce forum qui préfère la version 2007 massacrée à la version originale presque parfaite ?

Je pense que ce n'est pas la même version , il y a eu plusieurs jours pour ce concert, la version du non remasterisē est bien meilleure, les basses au pedalier son bien plus profonde quand au coup de gong de Bonzo rien à voir

Ha! I have the 76 LP version printed on CD (like many I guess). Bought somewhere in the 90s. I will give the NQ a spin right away. Someone here mentioned the low notes JPJ hits before Jimmy's solo. Love them on the 28th boot. Cannot remember if they were on this or not. Soon to find out.

Edit: There they were but much lower in the mix whereas on the boot they give some serious traction sending Jimmy off to the races.

Edited by JMH

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2022 at 10:14 AM, Ian Smith said:

Late to the topic, but besides No Quarter, on the original 1976 vinyl release the version of the track 'Celebration Day' is slightly different than what was released on the later version (mainly a vocal that's kept in near the vocal end, and a better guitar solo played to end the song).

Edited by dpat