To Leave A Tip or Not to Leave a Tip

SteveAJones

Tipping was never about how good the service is, that was a secondary factor,  tipping had everything to do with how much the owner pays the workers. I don't know what the wages are today but just 20 years ago it was all about helping out service people who made poor wages,  if they provided great service giving a bigger tip was appreciated but for the most part it was to bolster their pay.

Edited by hummingbird69

7 hours ago, kipper said:

But it isn't compulsory

My mistake, it is my understanding tipping was compulsory over there - and if you were to decide not to tip you are viewed as almost criminal. When I went to the US (almost 30 years ago) I'm sure it was mentioned multiple times that tipping was "compulsory" to avoid trouble.

On 5/8/2022 at 8:38 PM, rm2551 said:

My mistake, it is my understanding tipping was compulsory over there - and if you were to decide not to tip you are viewed as almost criminal. When I went to the US (almost 30 years ago) I'm sure it was mentioned multiple times that tipping was "compulsory" to avoid trouble.

No not required, but generally expected for many service people, especially waiters and bartenders.

Some restaurants will say upfront that a 18% gratuity is required for groups of 6 people or more. I suspect that is because often with a group of people, when the bill comes and they all throw in some money, people often fail to leave enough for the tip as taxes are also due.  There is also this thing that if you order drinks at your table, the waiter or waitress will need to share part of their tip to a bartender, and he will be expecting his usual 10%-15% for the part which he provided service for from the bar. So, if you fail to give the waiter/waitress a tip, then they still have to pay the bartender out of their own pocket.

I don't like the mandatory 18% and I tell them upfront that I will decide on the gratuity, because at 18% they are just shorting themselves if they provide good service because I would tip more than that anyway.

In some locations there are also some restaurant owners adding on "fees" to help pay for workers healthcare coverage, which is bullshit. Those places will say so usually on the menu, but you are not legally required to pay that, and it puts you into a situation where you must tell the owner to remove that fee from your bill.  I've seen this in more of the "liberal/progressive" cities where some restaurant owners are doing that.  I don't feel as customer it is my responsibility to pay the healthcare cost which the owner should be paying.

There is a rumor that Black people don't tip, which I'm not sure it true or not,

15 hours ago, hummingbird69 said:

The One Dollar Club!!  great episode where Randy is shamed into giving money to charity at the checkout

mgid_arc_imageassetref_shared.southpark.us.jpg

Those virtue signally checkout charities never work on my.

Cashier: "Sir, would like to donate a dollar to help starving children in Africa?"

Kipper:  "No, but if you can tell me where the nearest strip bar is I have $20 in my pocket just itching to help out a struggling actress who will sit on my face!"

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2022 at 11:10 PM, kipper said:

Those virtue signally checkout charities never work on my.

Cashier: "Sir, would like to donate a dollar to help starving children in Africa?"

Kipper:  "No, but if you can tell me where the nearest strip bar is I have $20 in my pocket just itching to help out a struggling actress who will sit on my face!"

I totally understand that. I donate to charities that I know are well intended and will help children and animals.  You cannot go through any major food chain checkout now without the question "would you like to donate for children?'  FUCK NO.   I trust very few.  Places like St Jude and Shriners childrens hospital are examples of those I trust and several animal humane society type organizations.  ASCPA is an example.  I do very much as I am a year round bird feeder (and squirrel) and now some assholes have released or abandoned 3 cats. One I built a small house for.  For this winter. If I go to a restaurant, which is far less frequent now days, I will always leave a tip.  Short of the waitress throwing the plate at me and not returning.  Then again, who could blame her.  LOL.  When you are not looking them in the face when they talk to you and you are staring below the waist, it might be a bit obvious.  Tip if you know the person or agency you are donating to are legit.

I just got back from Albania.  The taxi from Tirana Airport tot he city of Duress is about 40 minutes.  The cab driver charged me a set price of 30 Euros and after stopping at my hotel, I gave him an extra 5.  As i headed for the front door of the hotel, he yelled after me "Sir. sir!" and handed back the 5 saying "The cost is only 30".  I told him, "The rest is a tip for taking me straight to the hotel."  He just looked at me puzzled and I said "It's a gift - Faleminderit shume".   I tried leaving a couple Euros on the bed each morning for the maids - but they just put it on the desk in the room each time.  I finally ran them down on another floor and gave it to them - again they just had this puzzled look on their face.

These people average 300 Euros a month in salary , they work 14+ hours a day/7 days a week and are always smiling.  I don't normally tip in the US, but these people definitely earn and need it!