The K POP Thread

SteveAJones

K-pop (abbreviation of Korean pop; Hangul케이팝) is a genre of popular music originating in South Korea. While the modern form of K-pop can be traced back to the early 90s, the term itself has been popularized since the 2000s, replacing the term Gayo (가요), which also refers to domestic pop music in South Korea. Although it generally indicates "popular music" within South Korea, the term is often used in a narrower sense to describe a modern form of South Korean pop that is influenced by styles and genres from around the world, such as experimental, rock, jazz, gospel, hip hop, R&B, reggae, electronic dance, folk, country, and classical on top of its traditional Korean music roots. The more modern form of the genre emerged with the formation of one of the earliest K-pop groups, Seo Taiji and Boys, in 1992. Their experimentation with different styles and genres of music and integration of foreign musical elements helped reshape and modernize South Korea's contemporary music scene.

Modern K-pop "idol" culture began with the boy band H.O.T. in 1996, as K-pop grew into a subculture that amassed enormous fandoms of teenagers and young adults. After a slump in early K-pop, from 2003 TVXQ and BoA started a new generation of K-pop idols that broke the music genre into the neighboring Japanese market and continue to popularize K-pop internationally today.] With the advent of online social networking services and Korean TV shows, the current spread of K-pop and Korean entertainment, known as the Korean Wave, is seen not only in East Asia and Southeast Asia, but also in India, Latin America, North Africa, Southern Africa, the Middle East and throughout the Western world, gaining a widespread global audience.

2 minutes ago, SteveZ98 said:

Steve, what's the reception in Japan to K-pop bands? Are they overtaking J-pop bands in popularity? 

Great question, SteveZ. Japan is a very important market for the K-pop industry (arguably second only to South Korea) and a number of the most popular male and female acts are very well received in Japan. Twice, for example, just this month became the first female K-pop group to ever perform an arena tour of Japan. Tickets for that tour sold out in less than two minutes. All that said, it's unlikely K-pop will ever overtake J-pop bands in popularity. This is because Japan has a very vibrant pop music industry of its own with several established acts. Additionally, there are the many cultural, societal and language barriers that prevent K-pop acts from overtaking the J-pop acts here.

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

I enjoy the music but yes, these groups are definitely nice to watch. :lol:

Yes, one would almost think that might be the main reason you like them, especially given that you appear to have accidentally forgotten to share any links of K-Pop bands that are not comprised exclusively of young women.

Give me a break, putting this crap on a Zep site is akin to hawking kippers in an ice cream parlour. Of course anyone older than 18 who likes such groups is telling unto itself. Sorry, but as a 50 year old man I have zero interest in no talent pre-pubescent tarts. Unless the women have been around the block a few times and are over 35 forget it. As an aside, K-Pop in Japan is akin to blackface & minstrel shows in 1920's America. The Japanese HATE the Koreans to the point that generational Koreans who have lived in Japan for multiple generations still cannot hold Japanese citizenship even though they were born there.

So, to break it down, K-Pop belongs on either a K-Pop site or on some Korean teen forum. :smack:

Edited by PeaceFrogYum

19 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

Yes, one would almost think that might be the main reason you like them, especially given that you appear to have accidentally forgotten to share any links of K-Pop bands that are not comprised exclusively of young women.

You mad bro? This thread presents a genre of music that most here are completely unfamiliar with. Given the forum membership is at least 80% male, how long do you think I'll retain their interest in this topic if I start with a dozen posts about South Korean male groups?  

3 minutes ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Give me a break, putting this crap on a Zep site is akin to hawking kippers in an ice cream parlour. Of course anyone older than 18 who likes such groups is telling unto itself. Sorry, but as a 50 year old man I have zero interest in no talent pre-pubescent tarts. Unless the women have been around the block a few times and are over 35 forget it. As an aside, K-Pop in Japan is akin to blackface & minstrel shows in 1920's America. The Japanese HATE the Koreans to the point that generational Koreans who have lived in Japan for multiple generations still cannot hold Japanese citizenship even though they were born there.

So, to break it down, K-Pop belongs on either a K-Pop site or on some Korean teen forum. :smack:

People like you feel compelled to politicize everything. It's the K-pop Thread ya fucking dumbass. If you don't like Mexican food, don't go to Taco Bell.  As a by the way, not a single artist presented thus far is under 18. Further, K-pop in Japan is NOT akin to blackface and minstrel shows. Hey, I might know, seeing as I live here.  With that, I leave you to disintegrate further into your preconceived notions of middle-age.  

J.Y. Park  Still Alive

57 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

People like you feel compelled to politicize everything. It's the K-pop Thread ya fucking dumbass. If you don't like Mexican food, don't go to Taco Bell.  As a by the way, not a single artist presented thus far is under 18. Further, K-pop in Japan is NOT akin to blackface and minstrel shows. Hey, I might know, seeing as I live here.  With that, I leave you to disintegrate further into your preconceived notions of middle-age.  

J.Y. Park  Still Alive

Strange, as I hear middle age men making that same defense all the time. Good luck with that.