3/24/1975 - LA Forum

mickey g

My wife just dug these up out of a shoebox in her closet. Asked me if I still wanted them. I have been looking for them for years, now.

Also in the shoebox were Blackmore's Rainbow, Paul McCartney, David Bowie; all from around the same era, 1975-1976.

These are 35mm slides I took, coming up on 45 years ago. They appear to be in decent shape. The Zeppelin pix were shot from, if you were at a hockey game, about 10 rows behind & to the left of the goalie. I had a 200mm lens at the time, don't remember if I lugged it into the Forum or not. 

I have ordered a cheap scanner from Amazon & will try to have some up in a week or so.

IMG_1415.JPG

13 minutes ago, Walter said:

Great find!  Looking forward to seeing what you have there.

Me too ! Last time I remember viewing them was back in the 70s, when I had bet a co-worker that Jimmy Page plays a Dan-Electro.

Cost him $5.00😎

So, I know there's pix of Jimmy & his Dan-o, at least.

On 9/12/2019 at 11:42 PM, The Only Way To Fly said:

AWESOME!

On 9/12/2019 at 1:33 PM, June72 said:

Awesome! I'm excited to see what you have in store here.

On 9/12/2019 at 12:18 PM, Walter said:

Great find!  Looking forward to seeing what you have there.

That gets you guys a bonus 

Ten Years After @10/1975 LI Arena, Commack NY

IMG_0006 2.jpeg

33 minutes ago, June72 said:

Awesome! Underrated band, Alvin Lee was a fucking amazing player.

Yep. And Leo Lyons in concert would make Angus Young look like a wooden Indian in comparison.

Here's Macca & Denny Laine(?) at Nassau Coliseum May of 1976 ?

IMG_0007.jpeg

16 hours ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

Can't wait to see more!

This is from the new scanner I just got. I just scanned 30 something slides & they were done in a HEIF format, which this site won't accept.

So, now I'm going to have to resend by email all the slides I just scanned & AirDropped to my Mac. I'm going to see The Who at Jones Beach tonight, and I'm a bit pissed I have to do this all over in another format, so here's just one: 

IMG_0009.jpeg

I should reduce the size somehow, as they are clearer than this pic shows.

Edited by mickey g
clarity

7 hours ago, mickey g said:

This is from the new scanner I just got. I just scanned 30 something slides & they were done in a HEIF format, which this site won't accept.

So, now I'm going to have to resend by email all the slides I just scanned & AirDropped to my Mac. I'm going to see The Who at Jones Beach tonight, and I'm a bit pissed I have to do this all over in another format, so here's just one: 

IMG_0009.jpeg

Great stuff! I’m guessing Trampled Under Foot was the song being played right there?

22 hours ago, mickey g said:

IMG_0009.jpeg

Something wrong with your scan settings. Disable any "noise / dust" filter or cleanup options. Save as a high quality jpg.

6 hours ago, zeplz71 said:

Something wrong with your scan settings. Disable any "noise / dust" filter or cleanup options. Save as a high quality jpg.

The "scanner' I got uses any phone camera to take a picture of a backlit slide or negative. I used my wife's I-Phone-X camera to "scan" which is HEIF not jpeg. Also, some of them aren't exactly HD Blu-ray quality sharpness.

Edited by mickey g

1 minute ago, mickey g said:

I don't remember what order I took the pix & what order I loaded them into the slide tray, so...I'll take your word for it😎

Did they play “Since I’ve Been Loving You” that night? I could’ve been Kashmir, but probably not “No Quarter” given the lack of smoke. It’s a great photo. Captures the band so well. ✌🏼

20 minutes ago, Walter said:

Did they play “Since I’ve Been Loving You” that night?

To be honest, the only song I really remember is Dazed & Confused. He was standing inside a green laser beam triangle with the bow, while the triangle spun around(?)

Set list from Tele-sugarmegs:

Rock And Roll
Sick Again
Over The Hills And Far Away
In My Time Of Dying
The Song Remains The Same
The Rain Song
Since I've Been Loving You
Kashmir
No Quarter (incl. Aranjuez Concert)
Trampled Underfoot (incl. Gallows Pole)
Moby Dick
Dazed And Confused
Stairway To Heaven
Whole Lotta Love(incl. The Crunge)
Black Dog
Heartbreaker

Edited by mickey g
additional info

54 minutes ago, mickey g said:

To be honest, the only song I really remember is Dazed & Confused. He was standing inside a green laser beam triangle with the bow, while the triangle spun around(?)

Set list from Tele-sugarmegs:

Rock And Roll
Sick Again
Over The Hills And Far Away
In My Time Of Dying
The Song Remains The Same
The Rain Song
Since I've Been Loving You
Kashmir
No Quarter (incl. Aranjuez Concert)
Trampled Underfoot (incl. Gallows Pole)
Moby Dick
Dazed And Confused
Stairway To Heaven
Whole Lotta Love(incl. The Crunge)
Black Dog
Heartbreaker

Nice! I think that has to be SIBLY then. 

17 hours ago, Walter said:

Nice! I think that has to be SIBLY then. 

It's not SIBLY. In 1975 Jones played the Fender Rhodes on SIBLY, which is the keyboard that is facing the audience. To the right of the Fender Rhodes (as the audience is looking towards the stage) Jones had his mellotron (the white boxy looking keyboard) and clavinet (on top of the mellotron) set-up.

Jones used the mellotron and clavinet for "Kashmir", and the clavinet for "Trampled Under Foot". For "No Quarter" it was the Fender Rhodes and the piano (set up to the left of the Rhodes) and for "Stairway" it was mellotron and Fender Rhodes. SIBLY, as I mentioned before, was the Fender Rhodes.

So that photo is either "Kashmir" or "Trampled". It's a little blurry so it is hard to see if Jones has one hand on the mellotron and one on the clavinet...that would definitely signify "Kashmir". Also, if we could see if the disco lights to the right of Jimmy's amps were on that would make it clear that it was "Trampled".

On 9/12/2019 at 11:29 AM, mickey g said:

Okay. This is an I-phone picture of an I-phone picture of one slide in an old Sears 35mm slide viewer. 

Jeezus, I hope the thing I ordered from Amazon is a helluva lot better, but it's the same principle.

IMG_9935.JPG

Fantastic find, mickey g! Thank god your wife didn't throw them out. That photo looks like "Kashmir". Can't wait to see the rest of what you have.

One question...you photographed Zeppelin in LA but others in NY and Nassau County? Were you on assignment or did you just move around a lot?

I was at the Macca and Bowie shows at the Forum in 1976. Any chance you were at those concerts?

26 minutes ago, Strider said:

It's not SIBLY. In 1975 Jones played the Fender Rhodes on SIBLY, which is the keyboard that is facing the audience. To the right of the Fender Rhodes (as the audience is looking towards the stage) Jones had his mellotron (the white boxy looking keyboard) and clavinet (on top of the mellotron) set-up.

Jones used the mellotron and clavinet for "Kashmir", and the clavinet for "Trampled Under Foot". For "No Quarter" it was the Fender Rhodes and the piano (set up to the left of the Rhodes) and for "Stairway" it was mellotron and Fender Rhodes. SIBLY, as I mentioned before, was the Fender Rhodes.

So that photo is either "Kashmir" or "Trampled". It's a little blurry so it is hard to see if Jones has one hand on the mellotron and one on the clavinet...that would definitely signify "Kashmir". Also, if we could see if the disco lights to the right of Jimmy's amps were on that would make it clear that it was "Trampled".

Cool.  I was thinking Trampled at first but see didn't the disco light either.  Kashmir I thought Robert kept the mic in the stand.  No Quarter, obviously not.  You know better than I as far as which keyboard would be located where for each.   

3 hours ago, Strider said:

One question...you photographed Zeppelin in LA but others in NY and Nassau County? Were you on assignment or did you just move around a lot?

No, I was out visiting friends in L.A. in 1975 when Zep was out there.

I live on Long Island & grew up in the shadows of Nassau Coliseum. 

I also saw Roxy Music & Frampton at the Santa Monica Civic. I tried to get my camera bag in for Roxy Music, but was turned away. I had to lock it in a locker in a bowling alley across the street in order to see the concert. For Frampton, I taped the camera body to one leg & the zoom lens to the other to get it in. I have them somewhere, too. Bellbottoms did actually serve a useful function back then 😎

Edited by mickey g

• 6 months later...