Bootleg Survivor

June72

Didn't know whether to include this in live or polls, sorry.

Hi everybody! Pretty soon over on the r/ledzeppelin subreddit, I'll begin posting a survivor series where we vote out the best Zeppelin bootlegs one by one until we're left with presumably the best ones. You can read all the info about it (shows included, when it begins, etc.) here. I'm posting this here to get a general consensus to see if anyone here would be interested in participating, and if I should bother posting it here as well as reddit. If this sounds like something you're interested in, please let me know. 

P.S. for the mods: if I do end up posting this here too, would it be preferred that I just keep it here on this one thread and comment the new polls on it daily? Or is making new posts acceptable? Thanks everyone.

Should've added a poll in the first, but I didn't so please vote here to let me know if you're interested or not. Much appreciated.

Edited by June72

"Best bootlegs" has been discussed here and elsewhere extensively already, particularly at Royal Orleans. Ultimately, although some go to great lengths to provide critical analysis to support their choices, it's still just a matter of opinion. If it is conducted here I'm personally begging you to keep it contained within one thread as, like I said, this ground has already been covered many times before. Additionally, there's only been about five bootlegs released since 2007 that are even worth discussing (in my opinion), yet casual fans may learn something from it so more power to you.

7 hours ago, June72 said:

Didn't know whether to include this in live or polls, sorry.

Hi everybody! Pretty soon over on the r/ledzeppelin subreddit, I'll begin posting a survivor series where we vote out the best Zeppelin bootlegs one by one until we're left with presumably the best ones. You can read all the info about it (shows included, when it begins, etc.) here. I'm posting this here to get a general consensus to see if anyone here would be interested in participating, and if I should bother posting it here as well as reddit. If this sounds like something you're interested in, please let me know. 

P.S. for the mods: if I do end up posting this here too, would it be preferred that I just keep it here on this one thread and comment the new polls on it daily? Or is making new posts acceptable? Thanks everyone.

Should've added a poll in the first, but I didn't so please vote here to let me know if you're interested or not. Much appreciated.

Sounds like fun. Be interested to have it here

19 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Ultimately, although some go to great lengths to provide critical analysis to support their choices, it's still just a matter of opinion. 

Right. I agree. The point of this is simply to see if there's a general consensus to what their best shows are, if you feel this discussion is pointless, then feel free to not participate :)

10 minutes ago, Nutrocker said:

It'll be impossible to nail down but these things can make for lively discussions😂

My personal vote, naturally, would likely be Cleveland, April 28, 1977. Don't sound too surprised, people😂

Might wanna take a look at the shows included, as that was not one we included in either one lol. 

However, ZepHead315/Lurker and I also briefly discussed doing one for each year I believe, and that show would totally qualify for '77's top 10 imo. But we'll see how this goes first :D

10 minutes ago, June72 said:

Might wanna take a look at the shows included, as that was not one we included in either one lol. 

However, ZepHead315/Lurker and I also briefly discussed doing one for each year I believe, and that show would totally qualify for '77's top 10 imo. But we'll see how this goes first :D

Yeah, I'm more versed in the '75-'80 period. My pick is also a bit of a running joke as I'm constantly praising that second Cleveland gig😂

Edited by Nutrocker

• 3 weeks later...

Well, today's the day we're starting. If you'd like to read all about it, here is the post with all the important info and here is the post for this round. The round posts include a detailed tracker of which show goes out when and the remaining shows. 

If none of that interests you and you'd like to go straight to voting, this is a direct link to the poll.

Hope those of you who said you'd like me to post this actually enjoy it, feel free to discuss this further if you please in the thread.

Round 2 is today. If you'd like to read all about it, here is the post with all the important info and here is the post for this round. The round posts include a detailed tracker of which show goes out when and the remaining shows. 

If none of that interests you and you'd like to go straight to voting, this is a direct link to the poll.

last round, Southampton 1/22/73 was eliminated.

Hope those of you who said you'd like me to post this actually enjoy it, feel free to discuss this further if you please in the thread.

Edited by June72

Round 3. If you'd like to read all about it, here is the post with all the important info and here is the post for this round. The round posts include a detailed tracker of which show goes out when and the remaining shows. 

last round, Frankfurt 6/30/80 was eliminated.

Edited by June72

last round, Seattle 3/21/75 was eliminated.

Round 4. If you'd like to read all about it, here is the post with all the important info and here is the post for this round. The round posts include a detailed tracker of which show goes out when and the remaining shows. 

Last round, Texas International Pop 8/31/69 was eliminated.

Round 5. If you'd like to read all about it, here is the post with all the important info and here is the post for this round. The round posts include a detailed tracker of which show goes out when and the remaining shows. 

Last round, Seattle - 7/17/73 was eliminated.

Round 6. If you'd like to read all about it, here is the post with all the important info and here is the post for this round. The round posts include a detailed tracker of which show goes out when and the remaining shows. 

Last round, San Francisco - 4/27/69 was eliminated.

Round 6. If you'd like to read all about it, here is the post with all the important info and here is the post for this round. The round posts include a detailed tracker of which show goes out when and the remaining shows. 

April 27, 1969 eliminated???

The final 4 should be that show, Blueberry Hill, Osaka 929, and Eddie.

How anyone could rank Montreux 70 or LA 72 over the Fillmore 69 gig is crazy. Montreux 70 isnt even the best show of that week (Düsseldorf) much less that tour (Copenhagen). LA 72 is a pale reflection of the spontaneity and energy of LA 70, and has nothing on Uniondale 6/14 or Seattle 6/19. 

Speaking of Montreux and LA 72, those are the only two Zep shows I can think of where Plant goes racial (the N bomb during encores at Montreux and the chick from Detroit comment in the intro to Black Dog at LA). 

54 minutes ago, pluribus said:

How anyone could rank Montreux 70 or LA 72 over the Fillmore 69 gig is crazy. Montreux 70 isnt even the best show of that week (Düsseldorf) much less that tour (Copenhagen). LA 72 is a pale reflection of the spontaneity and energy of LA 70, and has nothing on Uniondale 6/14 or Seattle 6/19. 

Speaking of Montreux and LA 72, those are the only two Zep shows I can think of where Plant goes racial (the N bomb during encores at Montreux and the chick from Detroit comment in the intro to Black Dog at LA). 

+ me TOO...can't comprehend 'Montreux' jumps over Fillmore W 69. I was already shocked to see Texas Pop got wiped out earlier  😞 and Seattle 73 still in the game. C'mon guys, where 's justice!!!

2 hours ago, pluribus said:

Nice to see some discussion here. Personally, I'd certainly put Montreux over San Francisco. The band runs out of steam pretty quickly as set 2 of that night gets underway, but Page is really the only guy to lose steam in Montreux

It's also worth mentioning that this current poll is based on the best sounding shows, not the best performances. If you take a look at the first link that's in every comment I posted, you'll see we're doing a poll directly after this one wraps up based on the best performances, as well as a list of the shows for that poll. If this one were based on performances, I would've selected SF 4/26. 

Also I entirely disagree on LA '72... I'll take that show over Blueberry Hill any day of the week. Blueberry Hill wasn't even in the top 3 for the month imo, whereas LA is my #2 gig of 72, of course closely followed by both Uniondale gigs and Auckland.

2 hours ago, duckman said:

+ me TOO...can't comprehend 'Montreux' jumps over Fillmore W 69. I was already shocked to see Texas Pop got wiped out earlier  😞 and Seattle 73 still in the game. C'mon guys, where 's justice!!!

This one kinda surprises me, Seattle 73 is one of the best gigs of the tour, whereas Texas Pop is much shorter and not one of my go-to's for 1969 like it once was.

Last round, Montreux - 3/7/70 was eliminated.

Round 8. If you'd like to read all about it, here is the post with all the important info and here is the post for this round. The round posts include a detailed tracker of which show goes out when and the remaining shows. 

Edited by June72

Last round, L.A. - 6/25/72 was eliminated.

Round 9. If you'd like to read all about it, here is the post with all the important info and here is the post for this round. The round posts include a detailed tracker of which show goes out when and the remaining shows. 

Last round, L.A. - 9/4/70 was eliminated.

Round 10. If you'd like to read all about it, here is the post with all the important info and here is the post for this round. The round posts include a detailed tracker of which show goes out when and the remaining shows. 

Last round, Osaka - 9/29/71 was eliminated by receiving 69% of votes. The "Regular" Survivor poll is completed. The performance based poll starts soon.

Final Ranking:

11th: Southampton - 1/22/73

10th: Frankfurt - 6/30/80

9th: Seattle - 3/21/75

8th: Texas International Pop - 8/31/69

7th: Seattle - 7/17/73

6th: San Francisco - 4/27/69

5th: Montreux - 3/7/70

4th: L.A. - 6/25/72

3rd: L.A. - 9/4/70

2nd: Osaka - 9/29/71

1st: L.A. - 6/21/77

---

My personal ranking:

11th - Southampton '73

10th - Seattle '75

9th - Frankfurt '80

8th - Texas '69

7th - Montreux '70 (a recent re-listen swayed me to not include this in my top 5)

6th - Seattle '73

5th - San Francisco '69

4th - L.A. '70

3rd - L.A. '77

2nd - Osaka '71

1st - L.A. '72

New poll! This selection of shows is performance based rather than performance and audio based.

Last round, nothing was eliminated.

Round 1. If you'd like to read all about it, here is the post with all the important info and here is the post for this round. The round posts include a detailed tracker of which show goes out when and the remaining shows. 

Last round, Philadelphia - 2/8/75 was eliminated.

Round 2. If you'd like to read all about it, here is the post with all the important info and here is the post for this round. The round posts include a detailed tracker of which show goes out when and the remaining shows.