Best Concerts Of 1977

Fab_ar

20 hours ago, Strider said:

There are plenty of threads on this topic already in the Live Section of the forum. No need to start another.

A newbie wants to talk 1977. Just go with it.

Best as far as note perfect? That's not a Zeppelin thing. Especially in the world of LZ recordings, sound quality and performance are subjective. You're the ultimate judge to what suits you. I would recommend checking out whatever comes your way because, at least past April 1973, there are no perfect LZ shows, but there are great LZ moments in every LZ show. Every show is worth checking out. Don't believe the hype.

As it has not been mentioned yet, make a beeline for 1977/04/28 Richfield, Oh.

2 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

A newbie wants to talk 1977. Just go with it.

Best as far as note perfect? That's not a Zeppelin thing. Especially in the world of LZ recordings, sound quality and performance are subjective. You're the ultimate judge to what suits you. I would recommend checking out whatever comes your way because, at least past April 1973, there are no perfect LZ shows, but there are great LZ moments in every LZ show. Every show is worth checking out. Don't believe the hype.

As it has not been mentioned yet, make a beeline for 1977/04/28 Richfield, Oh.

Is he a newbie? The name looked familiar so I assumed it was a regular.

April 1977 gets slept on too often. The final week of April has some stellar shows. In my opinion, just as enjoyable and great, if not better, than any of the NY and LA shows.

Atlanta, Cleveland (The second night 4.28), and Pontiac Silverdome are all terrific. Yes, you may need "bootleg ears" to appreciate the audience tapes...no soundboard yet for these shows, except for 4.27 Cleveland.

It's been a while since I listened to them, but I think Cincinnati and Louisville might be worth a listen, too. I seem to recall liking those more than Landover and Houston.

And you can gripe and bemoan about the extracurricular activities that went on that weekend, but I still say July 24 Oakland is a good show.

Edited by Strider

19 hours ago, Strider said:

IApril 1977 gets slept on too often. The final week of April has some stellar shows. In my opinion, just as enjoyable and great, if not better, than any of the NY and LA shows.

Atlanta, Cleveland (The second night 4.28), and Pontiac Silverdome are all terrific.

Essential listening.

It's been a while since I listened to them, but I think Cincinnati and Louisville might be worth a listen, too. I seem to recall liking those more than Landover and Houston.

And you can gripe and bemoan about the extracurricular activities that went on that weekend, but I still say July 24 Oakland is a good show.

Cincy (2 shows) and Louisville are all solid shows, despite common 1977 tour mythology.

Violence in Cincinnati foreshadowed the Who tragedy in 1979. Listening to these LZ and Who recordings in that context is interesting.  Fans literally put themselves in the path of danger to see these bands.

I agree, people had told me that the Oakland gig's were crap so I never listened until recently. I was quite impressed by 7-24-77 and rank it highly.

Of course the June LA shows - all of them, but especially the first three nights. And yes to the NYC shows, although the latter ones are better than the earlier ones IMHO.

Agree with Strider about late April - 4/27 Cleveland is a decent show with great sound, while 4/28 is a mediocre/okay AUD source but a stupendous performance. And then of course there's Pontiac 4/30, which sounds terrible but appears to have been an excellent performance.

I'm also really partial to the final night in Landover, 5/30 - a great performance. And while I admit I'm influenced some by the stellar sound quality - arguably best sounding show of '77 - Fort Worth 5/22 is a really solid show too.