Interview August 12, 1979 Plant and Jones

I had not heard this before.  Wonderful interview the day after the second Knebworth gig.  Very good, even though JJ Jackson talks way too much at times.  Plant and Jones in fine form here.  Jackson asks Jones about a solo album.  Jones says well I would need a drummer and there is only one drummer I can play with.  "The Jones Bonham Duo".  They talk about material left off the new album and they discuss the tracks on the album.   When they talk about Hot Dog and the resurgence of rockabilly in America, Plant praises Charlie Rich and Eddie Cochran, then says with rockabilly coming back he may have 10 years added to his career from that point.

Edited by John M

14 minutes ago, sam_webmaster said:

It was aired at the time on radio, slated for an official promo LP release, but was eventually shelved.

Thanks Sam.  With some of the veiled comments about Page I can see why it was not released.  I had searched the forum for this interview but could not find it using Search.  

Thanks for posting it. It seems strange how being off for two years was considered a long time away back then when bands these days go much longer between albums, much less tours. Although given how frequently Zep was on the road through most of their career, it was a long layoff. And for a bit of perspective on how productive they were, all of the music we know and love from their time with Bonzo was created in about the same amount of time as the period between the 2007 show and today.

9 minutes ago, SteveZ98 said:

Thanks for posting it. It seems strange how being off for two years was considered a long time away back then when bands these days go much longer between albums, much less tours. Although given how frequently Zep was on the road through most of their career, it was a long layoff. And for a bit of perspective on how productive they were, all of the music we know and love from their time with Bonzo was created in about the same amount of time as the period between the 2007 show and today.

It had been over four years since they last performed in the UK, and of course the '77 US tour was cut short.

38 minutes ago, SteveZ98 said:

And for a bit of perspective on how productive they were, all of the music we know and love from their time with Bonzo was created in about the same amount of time as the period between the 2007 show and today.

Yeah I was only thinking today how 2007 to now is the longest time ever without the 3 of them playing together. Even longer than the 1995 to 2007 period. I wish I was born in the late 40s, I have nostalgia for a period I never even experienced, ha!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...