Early Bonham Picture

Mook

19 minutes ago, Mook said:

@porgie66 Thought you would be interested in this. 

@Mook   Yes I posted it recently on my Instagram. From a gig w Terry Webb. There is another where he is seated behind the drums posing with the band. I got it off the recent YouTube tribute / memorial video ....I took a screen shot. It's hard to tell but it looks like he's playing a Trixon kit. It's so frustrating that the one pic of him playing pre - Zeppelin , you can't really make out the drums. I haven't seen one other pic of him playing before Zep. This is it. I think! 

Edited by porgie66

16 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

@Mook   Yes I posted it recently on my Instagram. From a gig w Terry Webb. There is another where he is seated behind the drums posing with the band. I got it off the recent YouTube tribute / memorial video ....I took a screen shot. It's hard to tell but it looks like he's playing a Trixon kit. It's so frustrating that the one pic of him playing pre - Zeppelin , you can't really make out the drums. I haven't seen one other pic of him playing before Zep. This is it. I think! 

I had a feeling you may have seen it. I'd go along with the Trixon theory, those ride cymbal stands look like an accident waiting to happen.

Good to (cyber) speak to you again, it's been too long. Not much happening in Zeppelin world these days unfortunately although I still watch your YouTube videos (which are always amazing).

11 hours ago, Mook said:

I had a feeling you may have seen it. I'd go along with the Trixon theory, those ride cymbal stands look like an accident waiting to happen.

Good to (cyber) speak to you again, it's been too long. Not much happening in Zeppelin world these days unfortunately although I still watch your YouTube videos (which are always amazing).

Thanks, appreciate that very much! Hope all is well in your world. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿😁

• 4 weeks later...

Here's another interesting one, looks like Bonham is using traditional grip here. Although there are a few pictures of him using the grip down the years, this is maybe the only one I've seen of him live with Zeppelin...

tumblr_p719f8lXCi1we70ido6_1280.png

8 hours ago, Mook said:

Here's another interesting one, looks like Bonham is using traditional grip here. Although there are a few pictures of him using the grip down the years, this is maybe the only one I've seen of him live with Zeppelin...

tumblr_p719f8lXCi1we70ido6_1280.png

Yes, although this is Pages how solo so he's either not playing or he's doing some little rolls or accents. Sometimes he would cross stick at this point. Also, note the Slingerland chrome snare. 

3 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Yes, although this is Pages how solo so he's either not playing or he's doing some little rolls or accents. Sometimes he would cross stick at this point. Also, note the Slingerland chrome snare. 

Good spot, I was too busy looking at Bonham to notice what Page was up to.

• 1 month later...

Amazing photo of a young John Bonham !  I wonder how far along he was in his 10,000hours to become a truly great drummer, as opposed to how much natural talent and dexterity he had naturally.  As we have heard Jimmy describe, how his talent was more in his subtle wrist technique more than the popularized thoughts of him being raucous and arm bashing drummer.  The photo seems to show that he had a flair or natural talent going there at a young age.

• 11 months later...
On 2/15/2021 at 6:58 PM, kirchzep27 said:

Amazing photo of a young John Bonham !  I wonder how far along he was in his 10,000hours to become a truly great drummer, as opposed to how much natural talent and dexterity he had naturally.  As we have heard Jimmy describe, how his talent was more in his subtle wrist technique more than the popularized thoughts of him being raucous and arm bashing drummer.  The photo seems to show that he had a flair or natural talent going there at a young age.

Bonham may be called the God Of Thunder because of certain Zep songs but IMHO as a talented drummer his chops are severely underrated.