What is your favourite concert you've been too?

LedZep123

25 minutes ago, Strider said:

Ha! Good luck with that….it's impossible. 

It is one thing to remember concerts when you keep a journal and only go to one a month or so. But I have gone to at least 2,000 or more concerts in my life. Those years when I was working for Mario on the Sunset Strip and enduring endless hair-metal bands and then hitting underground after-hour gigs with my friends are mostly a blur. I couldn't begin to detail every frigging night.

Awwwwwwwwwwwww

I think I'm going to start a concert log, except I probably won't be able to go to even half the concerts you would see in a year. I live in god damn New Zealand, and so there is some live performances. There is a Faith No More concert in February 2022, which could be a nice start. 

On 3/30/2021 at 9:02 AM, BobDobbs said:

and a full, comprehensive review of each one including 6 x 9" glossy photos with notation on the back 😊

Here is an illustration of how impossible that would be.

An old friend dropped by today and we started reminiscing about old times. He proceeded to go into a story about a gig we went to and how this and that happened and all the while I am sitting there with a blank face thinking to myself "I don't remember any of this shit". Until he got to the part that happened after the show where we got stopped by the cops and the car would not restart…THAT part I remembered and the night sort of clicked in my mind all of a sudden. But I still had no recollection of the concert itself.

The band in question? Letters to Cleo. How am I expected to remember going to a concert by Letters to Cleo when I had completely forgotten about the existence of Letters to Cleo to begin with? If you put a gun to my head and asked me to name a Letters to Cleo song, album title, or band member, I would be a dead man.

24 minutes ago, Strider said:

An old friend dropped by today and we started reminiscing about old times. He proceeded to go into a story about a gig we went to and how this and that happened and all the while I am sitting there with a blank face thinking to myself "I don't remember any of this shit". Until he got to the part that happened after the show where we got stopped by the cops and the car would not restart…THAT part I remembered and the night sort of clicked in my mind all of a sudden. But I still had no recollection of the concert itself.

The band in question? Letters to Cleo. How am I expected to remember going to a concert by Letters to Cleo when I had completely forgotten about the existence of Letters to Cleo to begin with? If you put a gun to my head and asked me to name a Letters to Cleo song, album title, or band member, I would be a dead man.

Reminds me of the last time I saw George Clinton and Parliament in concert in 2006. I had more fun on the outdoor volleyball court drinking than watching the show. 2006 Parliament was nowhere near 1981 Parliament NY show (last time I saw them before the 2006 show).

2 hours ago, John M said:

Not counting Zep or Zep related (since this is in the other bands section), I would say

1. Yes 1979

2. Pink Floyd 1975

3. Jethro Tull 1977

Oh lol. 

It can still include Led Zeppelin related concerts, it's just I put in the other bands/music section because it wasn't just about Led Zeppelin

3 hours ago, Strider said:

Okay, so another interesting thread in the Forum down in the dumps.... SIGH

Do you think you could name your top concerts that you went too, and just like name them til' your memory wipes out? 

3 hours ago, Strider said:

Also, in case you are ever put a gun to your head for a Letters To Cleo song, album title or band member, go with "Here & Now" - 1994 single. We wouldn't want the Forum's top (I think) poster gone. 

14 hours ago, LedZep123 said:

Also, in case you are ever put a gun to your head for a Letters To Cleo song, album title or band member, go with "Here & Now" - 1994 single. We wouldn't want the Forum's top (I think) poster gone. 

Thanks for the intel…information for life.

So I went to YouTube to check out that song…total blank. I do not remember that song at all. Unlike "Seether", "Eyes of a Stranger", "Mmm Mmm Mmm" and other one-hit wonders.

8 minutes ago, Strider said:

So I went to YouTube to check out that song…total blank. I do not remember that song at all. Unlike "Seether", "Eyes of a Stranger", "Mmm Mmm Mmm" and other one-hit wonders.

2 Questions - What venue have you seen the most concerts at and what is your favourite venue to see a concert?

15 minutes ago, Strider said:

Also, at school the other day, I was talking to my friend (who is another huge music geek) about the Forum and about how you've been to concerts, and as soon as I say that you saw Elvis in '72, his eyes went wide and literally screamed "HE SAW THE FUCKING KING!!!!!????". He then looks at me and says "How the fuck did he get the money"

2 minutes ago, LedZep123 said:

Also, at school the other day, I was talking to my friend (who is another huge music geek) about the Forum and about how you've been to concerts, and as soon as I say that you saw Elvis in '72, his eyes went wide and literally screamed "HE SAW THE FUCKING KING!!!!!????". He then looks at me and says "How the fuck did he get the money"

Prostituted myself at Santa Monica & Highland.

10 minutes ago, LedZep123 said:

2 Questions - What venue have you seen the most concerts at and what is your favourite venue to see a concert?

The Forum, Hollywood Palladium, and Hollywood Bowl all would number in the hundreds, and vie for the top spot for the bigger venues. But clubs like Raji's, Troubadour, Scream, Echo, Spaceland would probably rank even higher.

1 minute ago, Strider said:

The Forum, Hollywood Palladium, and Hollywood Bowl all would number in the hundreds, and vie for the top spot for the bigger venues. But clubs like Raji's, Troubadour, Scream, Echo, Spaceland would probably rank even higher.

I would love to go see a concert at the Hollywood Bowl. Hollywood Bowl, Madison Square Garden and Wembley Stadium. 

3 hours ago, LedZep123 said:

what is your favourite venue to see a concert?

For me it WAS the Universal Amphitheater. Perfect size, perfect sound, not too far away....saw so many great shows there, Prince, Bowie, Radiohead, Jeff Beck, Stevie Wonder, Sting, The Tubes, Ozzy, etc., etc...but ALAS. They tore it down to build Harry Potter land! Still pisses me off

1 hour ago, badgeholder said:

For me it WAS the Universal Amphitheater. Perfect size, perfect sound, not too far away....saw so many great shows there, Prince, Bowie, Radiohead, Jeff Beck, Stevie Wonder, Sting, The Tubes, Ozzy, etc., etc...but ALAS. They tore it down to build Harry Potter land! Still pisses me off

That actually looks like a very cool venue... I think the Microsoft Theatre has replaced it

7 hours ago, badgeholder said:

Yeah, fuck the Harry Potter World. The Universal Amphitheatre had great sound...Bowie and Joni Mitchell were a couple of the early concerts I saw at the Universal Amphitheatre when it was still an open-air amphitheatre. Saw the Cars and Suicide there in 1979. Steve Martin and Robin Williams did some great shows there, too. One of the last shows I saw there before it was destroyed was B.B. King & Buddy Guy.

Four of the more memorable concerts I saw at Universal in the 1990s were Robert Plant/Black Crowes in 1990, Jane's Addiction/Nine Inch Nails/Dinosaur Jr. in 1991, Ministry/Helmet/Sepultura in 1992, and Radiohead/Spritualized in 1998.

Strangely, I did not go to as many shows at the venue when it changed to the Gibson Amphitheatre...the concert lineup was not as strong. The Universal would be in my second tier of big-size venues (2,000 plus) along with The Greek, Irvine Meadows, Long Beach Arena, Santa Monica Civic, the Wiltern, and the Pacific Amphitheatre. More than a hundred shows at each venue but not quite the number as the Forum, Bowl, and Palladium.

Edited by Strider

11 hours ago, Strider said:

One of the last shows I saw there before it was destroyed was B.B. King & Buddy Guy.

I was at that one too. Tommy Castro opened up. So basically, every concert I went to, Strider was there lurking somewhere, haha. Maybe sitting right in front of me, who knows 😄

1 hour ago, badgeholder said:

I was at that one too. Tommy Castro opened up. So basically, every concert I went to, Strider was there lurking somewhere, haha. Maybe sitting right in front of me, who knows 😄

Strider has been to at least 75 % of L.A. area concerts

That is facts

2 hours ago, badgeholder said:

When I was taping shows, I would usually hook my mic up to my hat. I generally had three different hats that I would choose from in those days…a black fedora, a Boris & Natasha baseball cap, and a Felix the Cat baseball cap. So, if you remember seeing a tall guy wearing one of those hats then it was probably me.

• 8 months later...

What a tough question. The one that stands out the most to me is seeing Jane's Addiction in SF in December 1990. I had just turned 20, and they were my favorite band at that time. The Pixies and Primus opened. This was almost unheard of back then - the 3 hottest bands of what used to be called "college radio" all playing the same night - lots of people were PUMPED for this. And by lots I mean the small segment of "too cool for school" kids who were into all that lol.  Charles Thompson (Black Francis) wore a tuxedo to commemorate the occasion. I don't think I've ever seen anyone sweat so much in my life.

I was just in awe the whole night - right up front looking up at the band. I def had them on a pedestal, and they were larger than life in my eyes. Looking back, and reviewing video concert footage from the show many years later, it was a fantastic night. I think musically Primus was the actual best of the three on that night. They (Primus) just were insanely good and clearly wanted to hold their own with bands they had a ton of respect for. Plus, it was "their" town so I suspect there was some pride involved as well. Les was exuding this weird charisma that I've never seen him do since. He was in the zone that night. Not to take anything away from the Pixies and especially Jane's - it was everything I had hoped for seeing them onstage for the first time. Anyway, it left quite an impact on me haha.

I think best show I saw musically was probably Jimmy Page in 88 in Oakland. He was just "on" that night, dude is magic.

Edited by 1975NQ

I should probably add that Fishbone in their prime were something else. They gave zero fucks, and anything could - and often, did - happen. Those are shows that are burned into my memory forever. 

Edited by 1975NQ